XPro3 Changed The Way I Use My X100F

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
RangerPhotog Regular Member • Posts: 162
XPro3 Changed The Way I Use My X100F

A while back I first dipped my toe in the Fuji pool by buying a X100f. I enjoyed using it.. A year later, I bought a XPro3. There are many who complain about the rear monitor/screen because of its designed. Well, this attribute never bothered me. In fact I feel that making on-the-fly shooting adjustments or a quick review of an image within the viewfinderfar quicker than on the screen. Well I took out the X100F this past weekend for the first time in a long time and found the illuminated screen REALLY annoying. Yeah it went off when my eye was up at viewfinder but clicked back on again when my eye left the viewfinder. Once I figured out how to turn the screen off at all times except for me actually hitting the play or menu buttons, I was a LOT more content. I will make on-the-fly or image review in the viewfinder like my XPro3. I suspect my battery life on my X100f will greatly improve. Just a positive remark on the XPro3 screen that is routinely maligned.

RangerPhotog's gear list:RangerPhotog's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100F Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-Pro3 +4 more
Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CRM514 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: XPro3 Changed The Way I Use My X100F

Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,613

I absolutely hated the idea of the X-Pro3’s screen when it launched, and then even after I got over that and bought one I had another wobble after a month or so and sold it.  However, I’m now I’m months into owning my second one and loving every minute. I think it’s genius and everything I want from a digital camera design - and that extends to the “film tab” and the button simplification too.

I don’t know how successful it’s been on the market and I have a horrible feeling Fuji might lose their nerve and go back to something more conventional on the next model, but if that does happen it’ll just cement the XP3’s status as a modern classic and will mean I’ll keep it for longer. I liked the X-Pro2 a lot but the 3 feels more like the spiritual successor to the original X-Pro1 in many ways.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,495

Someone here in this forum referred it to “Fuji’s passion project”.
I agree, and Fuji would be doing a disservice to themselves, and the niche community who love the refined design of the Xpro3 geared towards ‘pure photography’ if they reverted back to older designs because of YouTube influencers.

I think the Xpro could be refined further by omitting a rear LCD altogether. Why not go one extra step? Fuji went half way there ...

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more
JoshuaR Regular Member • Posts: 155

This is absolutely true for me as well. After I got used to the X-Pro3, I found that I no longer enjoyed using my X100V. Eventually, I trained myself to use one of the V's function buttons to turn its LCD on and off quickly. (It wasn't rocket science, but for some reason it took a while to get in the habit of pressing once to turn it on, and pressing three times to cycle back to my preferred view mode.) Now I use the X100V almost entirely through the viewfinder, with the screen switched off, and enjoy it a lot more.

I'm surprised by how much the X-Pro3 has changed what I want out of a digital camera. It's partly the shooting experience, and partly that I spend so much of the day staring at screens. The X-Pro3 is a respite from that. I also think that the flip-down design is very practical: I wear the camera on a strap, and it makes waist-level shooting instantaneous. I also like toughness of the camera. No external screen to scratch, and a robust hinge mechanism.

It's interesting how technology works. Features and designs get added through time; once they're there, it's hard to take them away. The first time I used a digital camera with an external LCD, I thought it was so cool. But that was before smartphones took over the world. Now, I look to photography as a hobby that brings me closer to the real world, and away from my screens. I really admire how the Fuji designers took a risk, even though they must have known that many people wouldn't like it. If the X-Pro4 does away with the current screen, I'll take advantage of the drop in price to pick up a second X-Pro3.

JoshuaR's gear list:JoshuaR's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +4 more
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,046

JoshuaRothman wrote:

This is absolutely true for me as well. After I got used to the X-Pro3, I found that I no longer enjoyed using my X100V. Eventually, I trained myself to use one of the V's function buttons to turn its LCD on and off quickly. (It wasn't rocket science, but for some reason it took a while to get in the habit of pressing once to turn it on, and pressing three times to cycle back to my preferred view mode.) Now I use the X100V almost entirely through the viewfinder, with the screen switched off, and enjoy it a lot more.

I'm surprised by how much the X-Pro3 has changed what I want out of a digital camera. It's partly the shooting experience, and partly that I spend so much of the day staring at screens. The X-Pro3 is a respite from that. I also think that the flip-down design is very practical: I wear the camera on a strap, and it makes waist-level shooting instantaneous. I also like toughness of the camera. No external screen to scratch, and a robust hinge mechanism.

It's interesting how technology works. Features and designs get added through time; once they're there, it's hard to take them away. The first time I used a digital camera with an external LCD, I thought it was so cool. But that was before smartphones took over the world. Now, I look to photography as a hobby that brings me closer to the real world, and away from my screens. I really admire how the Fuji designers took a risk, even though they must have known that many people wouldn't like it. If the X-Pro4 does away with the current screen, I'll take advantage of the drop in price to pick up a second X-Pro3.

I agree completely.

The lack of a visible LCD, but having one that folds out when you want it for waist level shooting is classic.  I prefer the design to the X-Pro2, and I really liked that one.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
OP RangerPhotog Regular Member • Posts: 162

Pocket Lint wrote:

I think the Xpro could be refined further by omitting a rear LCD altogether. Why not go one extra step? Fuji went half way there ...

This would be a refinement I would not want. While I do not chimp or need the screen while actively shooting, I do like that the screen is there whether having the ability to show images to others or doing more complex setups like profiles, waist level shooting,  etc. I cannot imagine handing my camera to someone else to view images through the viewfinder.

On the submonitor I do have it setup to show shooting settings only.....no film box images. I wish at times it could be illuminated on demand in dim settings so I could just look down and do a quick glance of current settings.

RangerPhotog's gear list:RangerPhotog's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100F Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-Pro3 +4 more
Pennyfan
Pennyfan Contributing Member • Posts: 635

I have no problem with the LCD design, until I ran into one situation, low angle portrait which I do hope the LCD can be tilt upward like my X-T3.

I love my X-Pro3 in every other scenarios.

Pennyfan's gear list:Pennyfan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Venus Laowa 9mm F2.8 Venus Laowa 65mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads