why I like the m6ii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,581
why I like the m6ii

Because I can easily get pictures like these, from today's hike.

Small and light is important to me, being of that certain age where weight matters, and I'm on slippery trails.

My kit is m6ii, 15-45, 55-200 and the 28mm macro for shots like this, carried with a belt.  If I had my old 70D and its lenses, I probably would have left it all at home.

Painted trillium

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,343
Re: why I like the m6ii

I really like my RP and the couple lenses I have (35, 85, 24-240).  Picked up the M6II for my wife with the 18-150 and 32 f/1.4. I really like that too. It’s a fun set to reach for and super capable.  Honestly love the built in flash for easy fill on backlit shots on vacation without having to have people face the sun for decent light or haul out the speed light.

Nice shots.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,723

Nice.  It's a nice camera.

I can also suggest the SL2 or SL3 for a similarly small and light system.  Lenses are somewhat larger and sensor maybe not quite as good, but still quite excellent, easier to use in my opinion, and less expensive.

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M6 II
ericch Forum Member • Posts: 66

very nice pictures, did you have a polariser or other filter on it?

ericch's gear list:ericch's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
OP ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,581

ericch wrote:

very nice pictures, did you have a polariser or other filter on it?

I used a 3 stop ND filter in order to get a shutter speed long enough for some motion blur.

I also used a tripod, extended to be about 3 feet high, and used the screen flipped up to see and frame the shot.

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,907

Nicely done.  Could use some more dynamic range in the scene tho (just IMHO).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
m100 Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Nice shots ! I love the files the M6II can create.

I run them through PhotoLab 4 and Wow, Wow, Wow !

My RP and 6D sit in the dry box.

-- hide signature --

" It's a virus that hitches a ride on our love and our trust for other people. "
Dr. Celine Gounder

OP ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,581

But for me the real thrill, so to speak, is the weight and size.  Both matter when I'm on a trail, especially since for some trails, especially in winter, I use poles.

m100 Contributing Member • Posts: 573

ken_in_nh wrote:

But for me the real thrill, so to speak, is the weight and size. Both matter when I'm on a trail, especially since for some trails, especially in winter, I use poles.

Right ?    I am kinda scared to use my M6II on a pole.  My M100 on a pole triggered with a smart phone for me.

-- hide signature --

" It's a virus that hitches a ride on our love and our trust for other people. "
Dr. Celine Gounder

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 2,493

Excellent photographs.  Thank you for sharing. 

ken_in_nh wrote:

Because I can easily get pictures like these, from today's hike.

Small and light is important to me, being of that certain age where weight matters, and I'm on slippery trails.

My kit is m6ii, 15-45, 55-200 and the 28mm macro for shots like this, carried with a belt. If I had my old 70D and its lenses, I probably would have left it all at home.

Painted trillium

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,310

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

Nice. It's a nice camera.

I can also suggest the SL2 or SL3 for a similarly small and light system. Lenses are somewhat larger and sensor maybe not quite as good, but still quite excellent, easier to use in my opinion, and less expensive.

I liked the SL series. I sometimes wished theSL3 had the 32MP sensor.

But I am done with DSLRs and their AF micro adjustments. So, ML is next for me.

-- hide signature --

My posts/comments are just my opinion. I try to quote my experience to support my opinion, where appropriate. My disagreement with others' opinion is not a personal attack against the person, their knowledge or integrity. I politely explain why I disagree. If my comment is not clear, please ask.
I expect the same from others. And I hope to learn something from them. If they are attacking me as opposed to disagreeing with my opinion, I usually block them.

Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,310

Good photos. I especially liked the colors in the first one.

-- hide signature --

My posts/comments are just my opinion. I try to quote my experience to support my opinion, where appropriate. My disagreement with others' opinion is not a personal attack against the person, their knowledge or integrity. I politely explain why I disagree. If my comment is not clear, please ask.
I expect the same from others. And I hope to learn something from them. If they are attacking me as opposed to disagreeing with my opinion, I usually block them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads