How long will the 5DsR system effectively last?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Chesapeake Imagery
Chesapeake Imagery Regular Member • Posts: 405
Re: How long will the 5DsR system effectively last?

ADW02 wrote:

For those of us who have bought the 5DsR on a tryout basis, or are considering buying, one of the most important questions we can ask is just how long this discontinued camera body will be able to be repaired. When, possibly, might Canon no longer have the parts to repair it, leaving it to be little more than a door stop? And what about the EF lenses that fit it? Will they fade out of existence sooner than we might think?

I bought a 5DSR and at my age, I can assure you that the last thought I had on my mind was how long will this "discontinued body" be able to be repaired. Actually, more likely, I'm thinking that about myself! 

Chesapeake Imagery's gear list:Chesapeake Imagery's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 2,678

MitchAlsup wrote:

jerry1 wrote:

Thanks. I thought those were long gone.

Very close to being so.........

True!    jerry1 you should go ahead place your order.  You'll be on the backup list.  I was on the list for two months on my first order.   You can change your mind anytime until it ships.

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5DS R
jerry1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

I'm thinking about it but I have been doing some research on some other cameras, both DSLR and mirrorless. I started a thread on the Nikon sir lens forum asking for opinions on lenses for the D850 and got lots of helpful comments, it's a good forum. The D850 seems like a camera that checks all the boxes for what I want but I have also considered the R5 and a couple of Sony cameras too. The price on the 5DSR is almost too good to pass but my funds will only go so far so I think I will continue looking forward with the newer technology. If I have anything left over after my purchase I may get in line for the 5DSR if there are any left. I know a seller in Japan is selling them but I tend to stay away from eBay. Anyway, hope all of you who have one on order get them soon and enjoy them for years to come.

jerry1's gear list:jerry1's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM

jerry1 wrote:

but I have also considered the R5 and a couple of Sony cameras too.

SHOCKING Sony a1 vs Canon R5 Review: Portraits, Sports & Wildlife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNRND2qVZU

-- hide signature --

Norm

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,355

How is this relevant to this forum or thread?

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more

Victor Engel wrote:

How is this relevant to this forum or thread?

My reply was to jerry1 I think it is relevant as he is considering a 5DS R camera along with other cameras I gave a link to.

jerry1 replied three times in this thread.

1) "Where are you guys finding the 5DSR? I see some on eBay that ship from Japan. Anybody know anything about those? Thanks."

2) "Thanks. I thought those were long gone."

3) "I have also considered the R5 and a couple of Sony cameras too. The price on the 5DSR is almost too good to pass but my funds will only go so far so I think I will continue looking forward with the newer technology."

My last reply was in response to number (3) I do not see anything wrong with Him considering other cameras along with 5DS R.

Being as you think my reply was not relevant, just hit complain at the bottom of this reply.

If a moderator agrees with you he will delete my reply to jerry1.

Hijacking the thread was certainly not my intention. Sorry for it, if you and the moderator think so.

Ps. The main reason I replied to jerry1 was to let him know he could purchase a 5DS R at B&H photo and not have to get one from Japan.

2nd) Ps. After thinking about It, maybe best if I had sent jerry1 a PM with the link instead of posting it on this thread.

Sorry it is to late for me to withdraw my reply as it has been replied to.

Thanks, You gave me food for thought.

-- hide signature --

Norm

jerry1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

Norm, don't sweat the small stuff. I appreciate your help and it was all relevant to why I might or might not get in line for a great deal on a 5DsR. The link to the vid didn't highjack anything. Thanks again for your help.

jerry1's gear list:jerry1's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads