How long will the 5DsR system effectively last?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
ADW02 Contributing Member • Posts: 525
How long will the 5DsR system effectively last?

For those of us who have bought the 5DsR on a tryout basis, or are considering buying, one of the most important questions we can ask is just how long this discontinued camera body will be able to be repaired. When, possibly, might Canon no longer have the parts to repair it, leaving it to be little more than a door stop? And what about the EF lenses that fit it? Will they fade out of existence sooner than we might think?

I posed these questions to two authorities: 1) Canon 5DsR Expert Repair; and 2) Canon tech support itself. Here is what they told me:

Regarding parts availability: ER said it couldn't imagine why there would be a problem for at least ten years. Canon thought that was too early, the range most likely falling into the 15 to 20 year time frame. In fact, Canon expects parts to be available to 2099, although the tech agent thought that might be a typo.

And EF lenses? The Canon tech agent couldn't figure out why everyone thinks Canon is discontinuing production of EF lenses. After all, one of Canon's best FF DSLRs was released just last year. There are far, far too many Canon DSLRs in use for the company to consider stopping production on EF lenses. Some of these lenses will be dropped, and then replaced by improved versions. And yes, they are slower than their R counterparts, but the EF market is just too big to ignore for quite some years into the future.

On one point there was unanimous consensus: While a 100mp sensor will produce larger and more detailed prints than the 5DsR, in and of itself the 5DsR will output truly superb files, and the image difference between these cameras up to 28" will not be all that noticeable.

With that, I've decided to keep my 5DsR, which I just recently purchased from B&H Photo. That investment is a tax-paid cost of $1,600. A Canon R system would be at least $4,500 for the body alone, and to be reasonably invested in MF would run up to $9,000.

Suddenly, the Canon 5DsR for landscape and cityscape photography looks pretty darned good.

Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MitchAlsup Veteran Member • Posts: 5,421
Re: How long will the 5DsR system effectively last?

ADW02 wrote:

For those of us who have bought the 5DsR on a tryout basis, or are considering buying, one of the most important questions we can ask is just how long this discontinued camera body will be able to be repaired. When, possibly, might Canon no longer have the parts to repair it, leaving it to be little more than a door stop? And what about the EF lenses that fit it? Will they fade out of existence sooner than we might think?

Shutter: 20 years, other electronic parts 7 years, other mechanical parts 12 years.

This also depends on whether you use the camera to take images or to shoot machine gun style and hope of a descent shot.

I posed these questions to two authorities: 1) Canon 5DsR Expert Repair; and 2) Canon tech support itself. Here is what they told me:

Regarding parts availability: ER said it couldn't imagine why there would be a problem for at least ten years. Canon thought that was too early, the range most likely falling into the 15 to 20 year time frame. In fact, Canon expects parts to be available to 2099, although the tech agent thought that might be a typo.

And EF lenses? The Canon tech agent couldn't figure out why everyone thinks Canon is discontinuing production of EF lenses. After all, one of Canon's best FF DSLRs was released just last year. There are far, far too many Canon DSLRs in use for the company to consider stopping production on EF lenses. Some of these lenses will be dropped, and then replaced by improved versions. And yes, they are slower than their R counterparts, but the EF market is just too big to ignore for quite some years into the future.

That and there is a big 3rd party component that at this moment in time are making BETTER lenses than Canon ! (only) for example: Sigma 40mm F/1.4 is equivalent to Zeiss in the optics department {aside from that fact Canon does not make such a lens).

For the near term 15-odd years the EF lens marker will still be a driving force.

On one point there was unanimous consensus: While a 100mp sensor will produce larger and more detailed prints than the 5DsR, in and of itself the 5DsR will output truly superb files, and the image difference between these cameras up to 28" will not be all that noticeable.

With that, I've decided to keep my 5DsR, which I just recently purchased from B&H Photo. That investment is a tax-paid cost of $1,600. A Canon R system would be at least $4,500 for the body alone, and to be reasonably invested in MF would run up to $9,000.

Suddenly, the Canon 5DsR for landscape and cityscape photography looks pretty darned good.

Landscape and cityscape rarely use the camera as a machine gun--adding to lifetime.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,385

For this sort of question, look at past models. What can you get done with the original 5D?

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,407

ADW02 wrote:

I think US law requires products to be supported for 5 years after they are discontinued. This is why companies put out a new model sometimes only slightly different than the current one. Canon probably makes a certain supply of replacement parts for a camera, once those are used up it’s over. So it could be longer than 5 years, along with if it shared parts with any other products that might be newer

Norm Neely Senior Member • Posts: 2,805

ADW02 wrote:

For those of us who have bought the 5DsR on a tryout basis, or are considering buying, one of the most important questions we can ask is just how long this discontinued camera body will be able to be repaired.

I have three Canon 40D cameras that have never needed to be repaired.

I ordered a second 5DS R as a backup just in case.

And what about the EF lenses that fit it? Will they fade out of existence sooner than we might think?

I don't expect the lenses I have to need repair. Also I think lenses will be available for a very long time. Both new and used.

The native resolution for my 5dsr, 50.6 mp raw file seems to be 8688x5792x300ppi

I don't ever expect to print larger than 16 x 24, but In case I want to I can go to 19 X 28 with the 5DS R at 300ppi

-- hide signature --

Norm

Norm Neely's gear list:Norm Neely's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Olympus SP-550 UZ Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5DS R
JamesMor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,283

I fully agree with this.  Over the course of the last 20 years, I have never sent a camera body in for repair.  Lenses?  Yes.  I have damaged my share...but never a body.

I am also trying to pick up a second 5dSR - and I expect that for what I do, which is mainly landscapes and cityscapes, that I am good for the next several years.

James

I have three Canon 40D cameras that have never needed to be repaired.

-- hide signature --

The Nature Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum
www.nwpphotoforum.com

1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 11,790

MitchAlsup wrote:

ADW02 wrote:

Shutter: 20 years, other electronic parts 7 years, other mechanical parts 12 years.

This also depends on whether you use the camera to take images or to shoot machine gun style and hope of a descent shot.

That and there is a big 3rd party component that at this moment in time are making BETTER lenses than Canon ! (only) for example: Sigma 40mm F/1.4 is equivalent to Zeiss in the optics department {aside from that fact Canon does not make such a lens).

that statement makes me chuckle, Mitch Sigma and canon have a long way to make them comparable to zeiss lenses. i have 2 zeiss lenses, distagon 100mm f2 makro, and distagon 21mm wide angle lenses...and about 12-13 wonderful canon "L" lenses. admittedly, both of my seiss lenses are head and shoulder above the canon "L" lenses in IQ and characteristics. don't get me wrong, canon's "L" lenses are not slouches but not as good as zeiss.

now i don't know about Sigma lenses, i would assume they are at "L" lenses level but rest assure not as good as zeiss lenses. here is a little sample of zeiss sample and post the best of sigma or anything else so we can discuss the dof and sharpness of both! talk is cheap:

For the near term 15-odd years the EF lens marker will still be a driving force.

Landscape and cityscape rarely use the camera as a machine gun--adding to lifetime.

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

JamesMor wrote:

I am also trying to pick up a second 5dSR - and I expect that for what I do, which is mainly landscapes and cityscapes, that I am good for the next several years.

You can order your second one now at B&H Photo. You will then be on their back order list and it will ship when they receive some from Canon.

-- hide signature --

Norm

JamesMor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,283

Already done. 
James

-- hide signature --

The Nature Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum
www.nwpphotoforum.com

1Dx4me wrote:

MitchAlsup wrote:

that statement makes me chuckle, Mitch Sigma and canon have a long way to make them comparable to zeiss lenses. i have 2 zeiss lenses, distagon 100mm f2 makro, and distagon 21mm wide angle lenses...and about 12-13 wonderful canon "L" lenses.

Check out the reviews and MTF comparison between the new 40mm F/1.4 Sigma DG ART and the comparable Zeiss. The rest of the Sigma F/1.4s are in the same ball park as the higher end Canons, but the 40 (and I think the 24 new Sigmas') are a step forward for from the earlier ART already really good series primes.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/03/mtf-results-for-recent-sigma-art-lenses/

About 40% down the page is a comparison between the Sigma and the Zeiss.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 11,790

MitchAlsup wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

MitchAlsup wrote:

that statement makes me chuckle, Mitch Sigma and canon have a long way to make them comparable to zeiss lenses. i have 2 zeiss lenses, distagon 100mm f2 makro, and distagon 21mm wide angle lenses...and about 12-13 wonderful canon "L" lenses.

Check out the reviews and MTF comparison between the new 40mm F/1.4 Sigma DG ART and the comparable Zeiss. The rest of the Sigma F/1.4s are in the same ball park as the higher end Canons, but the 40 (and I think the 24 new Sigmas') are a step forward for from the earlier ART already really good series primes.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/03/mtf-results-for-recent-sigma-art-lenses/

Mitch, don't let those cute graphs and Roger Cicala impress you, i never pay any attention to them. i am like the old Missourians, "show me", lets compare some photos, which Roger Sicala didn't in his "graph" show!

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Photoclever Regular Member • Posts: 146

MitchAlsup wrote:

The Sigma 135 f/1.8 ART is also a match for anything out there. It should be noted that the Canon RF 50 f/1.2L can stand toe-to-toe with the Zeiss Otus. Zeiss makes great glass but one cannot just assume it's always the best in every match up.

Photoclever wrote:

MitchAlsup wrote:

The Sigma 135 f/1.8 ART is also a match for anything out there. It should be noted that the Canon RF 50 f/1.2L can stand toe-to-toe with the Zeiss Otus. Zeiss makes great glass but one cannot just assume it's always the best in every match up.

The underlying point is that even if Canon decides to stop all manufacturing of EF lenses tomorrow, that this large market will continue for a very long time.

And there is no question that EF (OVF) cameras tend to last for decades of well cared for use.

-- hide signature --

Mitch

RHWeber
RHWeber Contributing Member • Posts: 714

I have shot Canon since 1968 and never had a problem with a camera or a lens. I own a 1DS III that I purchased used and a 5dsr that I purchased when it first came out. I use a number of "L" lenses, some like the 135 F2 from my film days. They all work fine. I now shoot landscapes primarily with a Fuji GDX 100S, but I continue to use the 5DSR for portraits. A 5DSR you purchase new today should last you a long time. Canon EF lenses will be around for the foreseeable future.

-- hide signature --

bweberphotographs.com
bweberphotography@mac.com

RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 100S +10 more
OP ADW02 Contributing Member • Posts: 525

RHWeber wrote:

I have shot Canon since 1968 and never had a problem with a camera or a lens. I own a 1DS III that I purchased used and a 5dsr that I purchased when it first came out. I use a number of "L" lenses, some like the 135 F2 from my film days. They all work fine. I now shoot landscapes primarily with a Fuji GDX 100S, but I continue to use the 5DSR for portraits. A 5DSR you purchase new today should last you a long time. Canon EF lenses will be around for the foreseeable future.

I agree completely with what you're saying. My purpose in writing the OP centered around the fact that Canon is discontinuing production of the 5DsR. But as I've revealed in a follow-up post, Canon tech support has stated that parts and service for the 5DsR should continue for at least 15 years, and quite likely for as much as 20. And there certainly will not be a shortage of EF lenses. So it's all good.

I've owned Canon cameras and lenses since 2003, and the only failure I've had that was not my fault was with the 7D, which Canon quickly repaired. As an advanced amateur creative landscape/cityscape photographer, I'm as happy as can be to use Canon products.

ADW02 wrote:

RHWeber wrote:

My purpose in writing the OP centered around the fact that Canon is discontinuing production of the 5DsR.

My backup 5DS R  is supposed to ship today.  So with two I should be good for a few years.  

But as I've revealed in a follow-up post, Canon tech support has stated that parts and service for the 5DsR should continue for at least 15 years, and quite likely for as much as 20.

That's good to hear.

-- hide signature --

Norm

jerry1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,107

Where are you guys finding the 5DSR? I see some on eBay that ship from Japan. Anybody know anything about those? Thanks.

jerry1's gear list:jerry1's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM

jerry1 wrote:

Where are you guys finding the 5DSR? I see some on eBay that ship from Japan. Anybody know anything about those? Thanks.

B&H Photo you can backorder Expected availability: 6-8 weeks

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119027-REG/canon_0582c002_eos_5ds_r_dslr.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

-- hide signature --

Norm

jerry1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,107

Thanks. I thought those were long gone.

jerry1's gear list:jerry1's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM

jerry1 wrote:

Thanks. I thought those were long gone.

Very close to being so.........

-- hide signature --

Mitch

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads