Sony A7C question before possible buy

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
geekoo Regular Member • Posts: 170
Sony A7C question before possible buy

hello!
I am currently looking for a photo camera. I am a street shooter / Portrait / candid and I also do a little of architecture. I am at the moment shooting with an Q-P. I have shot before on Canon and Fuji (X100F, Xt30) and I also had a cropped sensor the Leica Cl.

So the idea is depending on the total budget either add a new camera to my Q-P with a different field of view or sell my Q-P to buy some gear. I do hesitate between several cameras: The Fuji X-S10, the GFX-50R, the Canon eos M6 Mark II and the Sony A7C. I have never shot on Sony before. I am a manual shooter mainly, I have seen a few youtube videos to set up the camera and make it confortable to shoot. Before making my definitive choice and perhaps buying the 7AC (as I love what I have seen so far) I have a few questions:

• I wear glasses, and the EVF seems little. Does I Eye Cup Helps a little? I have seen a few recommendations.
  • How is the rotative screen in quality, I am not looking for the most high end screen but something confortable, with a good colour restitution and also usable outside.
  • I will use this camera 90% for photography. I hesitated with the A7III but I prfere the form factor of this one and the extra options, upgrades etc. How does it perform in photography. I am not a professional photographer, but I have sometimes a few jobs, I do print also sometimes, not in huge formats but around max 70-80cm. I am really looking for a good camera coupled with one or two good lenses (see beneath).
  • What is your overall experience with tis camera?
  • I am looking for one or two primes, quite fast, with either character and also good to very good IQ. One thing for certain, I do not want huge or heavy lenses. The lenses could be manual or autofocus lenses. I am looking probably for lenses around 35mm - 40mm - 50mm -60mm max. But I would start with one or two, and to be honest I don't really want more. The price tag could be for a lens around 1000€. I saw some people talking even of Leica lenses on the sony E-mount body.
    What lenses would you suggest?
    It's perhaps a strange decision, to perhaps sell my Q-P camera that I quite like. But I miss a few things really. I love the object, the lense is really great. The iQ is really good also but everything is not perfect (it will not be of course with the A7C ).
    Voilà and merci from Brussels
    Take care!
 geekoo's gear list:geekoo's gear list
Sony a7C Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Despiser Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: Sony A7C question before possible buy

There is an eyecup that fits into the hotshoe. Check price. A7c is a little lighter than A7iii but lacks ergonomically. If you prefer light primes then a7c is better suited, or if you like to trust the camera to snap great shots. If one card slot is sufficient then not an issue. A7iii is more suited to quick access in manual mode with better customization where you can set metering, focus modes etc. with a button press. Plus dedicated front and rear wheels for shutter/aperture. Screen flip style is an important consideration. A7c has vlogging potential with sideways while A7iii can shoot from the hip. I would not go for an A7iii with a7iv coming later this year. A7c is two years newer with better AF and has RTT, though A7iii AF was pretty good as well 3 years ago.

Despiser's gear list:Despiser's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Sony a7 III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 4,520

geekoo wrote:

• I wear glasses, and the EVF seems little. Does I Eye Cup Helps a little? I have seen a few recommendations.

I have been studying the A7C and I like the concept very much. But there are some buts that has stopped me from getting one (I'll come to those).
I also wear glasses and I can never see the full screen in the EVF on Sonys cameras. The A1 seems to fix this by having a higher eye point, like the old Nikon F3 HP had plus that one can also scale down the EVF image size somewhat which also helps.

The A7C has smaller view from the beginning and several glass wearers that have tried the A7C says that they can see the full image but that it is small so you need good sharpness to work well with it.

Due to the pandemic I haven't have a chance to test myself so the above is experience reported by others.

• I will use this camera 90% for photography. I hesitated with the A7III but I prfere the form factor of this one and the extra options, upgrades etc. How does it perform in photography. I am not a professional photographer, but I have sometimes a few jobs, I do print also sometimes, not in huge formats but around max 70-80cm. I am really looking for a good camera coupled with one or two good lenses (see beneath).

I have the A7III which uses the same sensor and I am very happy with the image quality.

• I am looking for one or two primes, quite fast, with either character and also good to very good IQ. One thing for certain, I do not want huge or heavy lenses. The lenses could be manual or autofocus lenses. I am looking probably for lenses around 35mm - 40mm - 50mm -60mm max. But I would start with one or two, and to be honest I don't really want more. The price tag could be for a lens around 1000€. I saw some people talking even of Leica lenses on the sony E-mount body.

If you go here: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/sony-fe-lenses/fe-list/
You can find an Excel list of all native lenses including weight and pick out the ones you are interested in. That site also has very good tests and reviews, but haven't tested them all.

But that has Marc Alhadeff almost made, there aren't many native lenses he hasn't run through his standardized tests, so check them out here: https://sonyalpha.blog/

It's perhaps a strange decision, to perhaps sell my Q-P camera that I quite like. But I miss a few things really. I love the object, the lense is really great. The iQ is really good also but everything is not perfect (it will not be of course with the A7C ).
Take care!

Some things that might be worth to know about the A7C, is the lesser buttons and controls, including no joystick vs the "DSLR" styled bodys.

Also the shutter is EFCS-only, meaning the front curtain is always EFCS and the rear curtain is mechanic. It tops out at 1/4000, which is lower than other Sony bodys. Also EFCS is not so good with bokeh and large aperture primes at high shutter speeds. And the e-shutter has a fairly low read out speed (around 1/30) so not so good with movements. EFCS only can also have banding problems with some flashes when shooting HSS.

On the upside over A7III the A7C has better tracking AF and also have a full Aperture Drive in AF Focus Priority implementation so should be good with low light group portraits with stopped down working apertures, which many other Sony bodys struggle with.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
Mirrorless, mirrorless on the wall, say which is the best camera of them all?
When I put my camera in Manual mode, why don't I get any instructions?
Some images:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64169208
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64221482
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65120847
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65121520

OP geekoo Regular Member • Posts: 170

lattesweden wrote:

geekoo wrote:

I have been studying the A7C and I like the concept very much. But there are some buts that has stopped me from getting one (I'll come to those).
I also wear glasses and I can never see the full screen in the EVF on Sonys cameras. The A1 seems to fix this by having a higher eye point, like the old Nikon F3 HP had plus that one can also scale down the EVF image size somewhat which also helps.

The A7C has smaller view from the beginning and several glass wearers that have tried the A7C says that they can see the full image but that it is small so you need good sharpness to work well with it.

Due to the pandemic I haven't have a chance to test myself so the above is experience reported by others.

I have the A7III which uses the same sensor and I am very happy with the image quality.

You can find an Excel list of all native lenses including weight and pick out the ones you are interested in. That site also has very good tests and reviews, but haven't tested them all.

But that has Marc Alhadeff almost made, there aren't many native lenses he hasn't run through his standardized tests, so check them out here: https://sonyalpha.blog/

Take care!

Some things that might be worth to know about the A7C, is the lesser buttons and controls, including no joystick vs the "DSLR" styled bodys.

Also the shutter is EFCS-only, meaning the front curtain is always EFCS and the rear curtain is mechanic. It tops out at 1/4000, which is lower than other Sony bodys. Also EFCS is not so good with bokeh and large aperture primes at high shutter speeds. And the e-shutter has a fairly low read out speed (around 1/30) so not so good with movements. EFCS only can also have banding problems with some flashes when shooting HSS.

On the upside over A7III the A7C has better tracking AF and also have a full Aperture Drive in AF Focus Priority implementation so should be good with low light group portraits with stopped down working apertures, which many other Sony bodys struggle with.

Thanks for you answer. Regarding the shutter I guess you can choose to shoot with the mechanical shutter only or in electronic mode or in EFCS?

lattesweden

geekoo wrote:

lattesweden wrote:

geekoo wrote:

Take care!

Thanks for you answer. Regarding the shutter I guess you can choose to shoot with the mechanical shutter only or in electronic mode or in EFCS?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The A7C, as also the A1 actually, don't have a mechanical front curtain so you only have the electronic front curtain (EFCS) plus the mechanical rear curtain in the mechanical shutter mode.

The only alternative to that is the full e-shutter, but on the A7C it reads out in about 1/30 seconds so not so good for movement, and not possible to use with flash.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
Some images:

lattesweden wrote:

geekoo wrote:

lattesweden wrote:

geekoo wrote:

Take care!

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The A7C, as also the A1 actually, don't have a mechanical front curtain so you only have the electronic front curtain (EFCS) plus the mechanical rear curtain in the mechanical shutter mode.

The only alternative to that is the full e-shutter, but on the A7C it reads out in about 1/30 seconds so not so good for movement, and not possible to use with flash.

Thanks.
Sorry as I am not a english native speaker, I am not sure to understand everything. 
So you don't have the electronic shutter mode only? 
I do presume (sorry again) that you can shoot in mechanical mode only up to 1/4000s with the rear curtain.
So what about photos with a slow shutter (1s - 1/30s) speed you would use for as an example waterfalls etc?

I have read the specs of the A7C, the Electronic shutters goes up to 1/8000s? Is that right? That's seems strange really. Probably I missread. 
And I have another question, I see that on Sony cameras you can change the mode from FF to apcs mode, what would be the benefits and disavantages?
If I take a 20mm FF lens, this would give me the equivalent of a 30mm lens? But what about the other advantages and disavantages?
Thanks

Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 7,944

geekoo wrote:

hello!
I am currently looking for a photo camera. I am a street shooter / Portrait / candid and I also do a little of architecture. I am at the moment shooting with an Q-P. I have shot before on Canon and Fuji (X100F, Xt30) and I also had a cropped sensor the Leica Cl.

So the idea is depending on the total budget either add a new camera to my Q-P with a different field of view or sell my Q-P to buy some gear. I do hesitate between several cameras: The Fuji X-S10, the GFX-50R, the Canon eos M6 Mark II and the Sony A7C. I have never shot on Sony before. I am a manual shooter mainly, I have seen a few youtube videos to set up the camera and make it confortable to shoot. Before making my definitive choice and perhaps buying the 7AC (as I love what I have seen so far) I have a few questions:

Have the A7c (wich has now replaced my A7III fully). Am now into 4000+ exposures.

About the same size as the a6400 viewfinder. Slightly on the small side but works fine for me. And yes, glasses here. Sharp and contrasty.

Others do complain. Most of the whiners do not have the camera.

• How is the rotative screen in quality, I am not looking for the most high end screen but something confortable, with a good colour restitution and also usable outside.

The screen is a typical Sony screen. Not the best in class but personally I miss nothing.

Not everyone will agree.

Love the form factor of the camera. Fewer buttons and wheels is a great plus (at least for those who love minimalistic design). Handles very well in my hands.

Just set up the camera properly and let go. This camera is an auto focus auto exposure centric camera. Manual exposure and  manual focus should work well, but that is not the strenght of this camera. The A7III would probably be a better choice if manual is wanted.

Have adapted fully. Have been into photography since the 70s and this is the most enjoyable camera I have ever had. Love it.

Naysayers will for sure chime in on this one and claim my opinion noyt valid. 

Take care!

Personally I like the new compact primes. Will get the 2.8/24 and 2.5/40 for pocketable photography (live everything that fit in a pocket). Not the brightest lenses around but small and handy. Superb auto focus and very good flare and ghost resistance too.

The GM lenses are faster and better but also more expensive.

Lenses with an aperture ring seems like a good idea for the A7c which has only one control wheel (the A7III have two).

But beware - my dream camera might be anothers worst nightmare! 

lattesweden

geekoo wrote:

Thanks.
Sorry as I am not a english native speaker

Same here, I'm from Sweden.

, I am not sure to understand everything.

It does have full e-shutter.

I do presume (sorry again) that you can shoot in mechanical mode only up to 1/4000s with the rear curtain.

Correct.

But there is no mechanical front curtain on the A7C, so always EFCS.

And 1/160 flash sync speed on A7C, not 1/250 as the other bodys.

And 1/4000 is max with the mechanical shutter on A7C.

So what about photos with a slow shutter (1s - 1/30s) speed you would use for as an example waterfalls etc?

My A7III that has the same sensor can do 30 seconds to 1/8000 with the full e-shutter, but best to check the A7C specs.

I have read the specs of the A7C, the Electronic shutters goes up to 1/8000s? Is that right? That's seems strange really. Probably I missread.

1/8000 is correct. But the read out speed is only about 1/30 so not really good for action.

And I have another question, I see that on Sony cameras you can change the mode from FF to apcs mode, what would be the benefits and disavantages?

If I take a 20mm FF lens, this would give me the equivalent of a 30mm lens? But what about the other advantages and disavantages?
Thanks

On the 24 Mpix bodys the APS-C mode is somewhere around 10 Mpix so I don't use the APS-C mode on those (on the high resolution bodys the APS-C mode is from 18 Mpix and up depending on body and then it becomes useful for me).

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
Some images:

Tristimulus wrote:

geekoo wrote:

hello!

Have the A7c (wich has now replaced my A7III fully). Am now into 4000+ exposures.

About the same size as the a6400 viewfinder. Slightly on the small side but works fine for me. And yes, glasses here. Sharp and contrasty.

Others do complain. Most of the whiners do not have the camera.

The screen is a typical Sony screen. Not the best in class but personally I miss nothing.

Not everyone will agree.

Love the form factor of the camera. Fewer buttons and wheels is a great plus (at least for those who love minimalistic design). Handles very well in my hands.

Just set up the camera properly and let go. This camera is an auto focus auto exposure centric camera. Manual exposure and manual focus should work well, but that is not the strenght of this camera. The A7III would probably be a better choice if manual is wanted.

Have adapted fully. Have been into photography since the 70s and this is the most enjoyable camera I have ever had. Love it.

Naysayers will for sure chime in on this one and claim my opinion noyt valid.

Take care!

Personally I like the new compact primes. Will get the 2.8/24 and 2.5/40 for pocketable photography (live everything that fit in a pocket). Not the brightest lenses around but small and handy. Superb auto focus and very good flare and ghost resistance too.

The GM lenses are faster and better but also more expensive.

Lenses with an aperture ring seems like a good idea for the A7c which has only one control wheel (the A7III have two).

But beware - my dream camera might be anothers worst nightmare!

Thanks,

To be honest the fewer dials and wheels perfect for me. If I can change my speed (on camera) and the aperature on the lens and my iso I have about everything I need. 
What about the overall IQ you get from the camera coupled with a good lens?

...seconds so not so good for movement, and not possible to use with flash.

Thanks.

Correct.

My A7III that has the same sensor can do 30 seconds to 1/8000 with the full e-shutter, but best to check the A7C specs.

1/8000 is correct. But the read out speed is only about 1/30 so not really good for action.

Thanks

On the 24 Mpix bodys the APS-C mode is somewhere around 10 Mpix so I don't use the APS-C mode on those (on the high resolution bodys the APS-C mode is from 18 Mpix and up depending on body and then it becomes useful for me).

Thanks! 
I am not looking for a fast action camera. Really, I will need it for street, portraits, urban "sports" (skateboard etc) and very occasionally some landscape when on hollidays. 
So is you experience overall good?

lattesweden

geekoo wrote:

Thanks.

Correct.

Thanks

Thanks!
I am not looking for a fast action camera. Really, I will need it for street, portraits, urban "sports" (skateboard etc) and very occasionally some landscape when on hollidays.

As I wrote in my first answer: I don't have the A7C, only the A7III. There are many similarities and also some differences. I have been looking into the A7C since it is lighter and smaller and have some advantages I would like, but the shutter disadvantages I described have held me back from getting the A7C. So I will stay with the A7III with which I am pretty happy overall.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
Some images:

Impulses Veteran Member • Posts: 8,099

lattesweden wrote:

geekoo wrote:

Thanks.

Correct.

Thanks

Thanks!

As I wrote in my first answer: I don't have the A7C, only the A7III. There are many similarities and also some differences. I have been looking into the A7C since it is lighter and smaller and have some advantages I would like, but the shutter disadvantages I described have held me back from getting the A7C. So I will stay with the A7III with which I am pretty happy overall.

Yeah, the EFCS-or-bust aspect of the A7C seems like the biggest drawback to me, I'm not sure it's worth trading worse bokeh with primes during the daytime (or having to use an ND) for slightly less weight and no EVF hump, for people coming from a body without real time tracking it's still a tempting proposition tho...

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +29 more
William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 9,241

I have owned my A7C for four months and love it. I purchased my A7C with the FE 28-60mm kit lens (highly recommended - it is sharp). My two favorite features are "My Menu" and "Eye-AF with Tracking". Initially I had difficulty with the EVF but then added an after market eyecup "KE-A7C" (which I modified to fit my left eye and face). I have lost  vision in my RH eye and difficulty with my LH eye but the EVF is working fine for me now.

Honestly, with all the comments about the shutter, I don't fully understand. Although, for me the camera performs great even for flash fill. I programed features I wanted quick access to "My Menu". I also programed features to other buttons and use the Fn key for quick changes. I use the Rear Control wheel for Aperture and the back Center Dial for Shutter (prefer not to have a front wheel).

I love the form factor (range finder style), size and weight.

Below are some sample images I have shot with my A7C (various lenses):

The next three images shot with the cheap FE 50mm f/1.8 ($198 new at B&H):

Below two images shot in "APS-C Crop Mode w/APS-C lens":

Next three images shot with A-Mount 70-400mm SSM G + LA-EA3 adapter:

For BIF I use Drive Hi, AF-C, Tracking Flexible Spot-L, Animal Eye-AF

Below is image of my modified KIWI KE-A7C eyecup:

-- hide signature --

I enjoy content, simplicity and light weight: A6500 and A7C w/Sony + Zeiss + G Glass

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7C Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more

You did ask about the image quality from the A7c.

Top notch!

Out of camera JPGs from the A7c is more pleasing to my eye than the JPGs from the A7III.

RAW files are down to the RAW converter anyway. No trouble here.

Puppy2007 Regular Member • Posts: 319

I went through various Sony APS-C models (A5000, A6000, A6400) and finally upgraded to the full frame two weeks ago, because I found a 20% sale for A7C. I sold the A6400 and all the APS-C lenses, now I am slowly buying a new ones.

• The viewfinder is a bit smaller than on A6x00 models, but very good quality and it took me a week to get comfortable with
  • I don't wear glasses, but it has the diopter adjustment
  • I went for the A7C over the A7III because the AF is a newer generation and I prefer to have the viewfinder in the corner (similar to A6x00) rather than in the center
  • There is broad selection of FE lenses, especially this year. Sony GM are the best ones, but you don't need them on a 24 MP "only" sensor. Third party lenses like Sigma and Tamron are also very good to excellent. Samyang primes are a budget option, optical quality is actually good, but there are sample variants. Check this blog: https://sonyalpha.blog/
  • Display quality is the same as with other Sony models, except the latest A7RIV new version. Not excellent (as we know from high-end mobiles), not bad. The touchscreen works for setting the focus point only, not for menus etc.

My overall experience with A7C is very good. I don't need a big and heavy camera and the small viewfinder works for me well. Image quality is sufficient for me, I don't need the high resolution 42/61 MP sensor of the A7 "R" models. It is still much improvement over the APS-C.

Puppy2007's gear list:Puppy2007's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7C Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
zukes22
zukes22 Regular Member • Posts: 161

The electronic/mechanical shutter “issue” is irrelevant to 99% of individuals looking to purchase this camera as their primary body.

zukes22's gear list:zukes22's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a7C Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +1 more
Robert111 Contributing Member • Posts: 659

- I find the swing out screen to be very awkward.

- The viewfinder is not a problem for me but a better one would be welcome.

- Wish it had a built in flash.

- In actual use, it is fun to shoot and produces excellent IQ with the small and light kit zoom.
- Wish the kit zoom started at 24mm.

Robert111's gear list:Robert111's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Sony a7R III +14 more

Robert111 wrote:

It would have been useless in most of the cases, as the lens size would make a partial shade, because the flash is too close to the body. I had it on A6400 and it was useless with all my lenses, except the kit 16-50 powerzoom I sold.

Panasonic LX10 Sony a7C Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more

Robert111 wrote:

My first impression too. The flip screen is more effecient.

But - the flip screen is incredibly handy when aiming the camera in different directions so my opinion has gradually changed. Love the flip screen now - after shooting some thousand images with my A7c.

- The viewfinder is not a problem for me but a better one would be welcome.

Agree fully.

Do personally not like the feeble built in flashes. But we are all different.

- In actual use, it is fun to shoot and produces excellent IQ with the small and light kit zoom.
- Wish the kit zoom started at 24mm.

Agree fully - the A7c is a fun camera to use, and capable of producing really serious images.

Robert111 wrote:

I paritally agree there, but I think it needs more time to get used to it, especially when you are moving from the flip type screen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads