Nikon Z6ii image review freezing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Carlo86 New Member • Posts: 6
Nikon Z6ii image review freezing

Hi,

Quite often I'm experiencing on my Z6ii (with the latest FW 1.20 btw) that after shooting even a small burst of say 15-20 RAW images, when I immediately want to chimp it freezes up for a second or so...which is not a problem of course, but to advancing to previous images just is super laggy and it can take up to 10 seconds before getting the LAST-1 image displayed. Until that time the screen is just black.

Has anyone noticed something similar?

For storage I use a single SD card - a SanDisk Ultra 100 MB/s 64 GB Class 10 UHS-I, which should be kind of OK I assume. And actually this small burst should surely also fit into the internal buffer? Or image review comes from persistent media always? But then why is the last image displayed fast? Is there some "out of line" storage happening?

Carlo86's gear list:Carlo86's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +4 more
Igor Lukashanets Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: Nikon Z6ii image review freezing

This is a slow card. Its minimum write speed is 10 MB/s, as a rule, they record at this speed. While you are trying to view photos, the camera continues to save photos from the buffer to the card.

Igor Lukashanets's gear list:Igor Lukashanets's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR +5 more
DanishMacro Forum Member • Posts: 93

As Igor writes, that’s 10 MB/s write speed you use there. Upgrade the storage media, and your problem will go away.

The 100 MB/s is the read speed.

DanishMacro's gear list:DanishMacro's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron 70-210mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,135

Carlo86 wrote:

Hi,

Quite often I'm experiencing on my Z6ii (with the latest FW 1.20 btw) that after shooting even a small burst of say 15-20 RAW images, when I immediately want to chimp it freezes up for a second or so...which is not a problem of course, but to advancing to previous images just is super laggy and it can take up to 10 seconds before getting the LAST-1 image displayed. Until that time the screen is just black.

Has anyone noticed something similar?

For storage I use a single SD card - a SanDisk Ultra 100 MB/s 64 GB Class 10 UHS-I, which should be kind of OK I assume. And actually this small burst should surely also fit into the internal buffer? Or image review comes from persistent media always? But then why is the last image displayed fast? Is there some "out of line" storage happening?

Get a faster card, like a Sandisk Extreme Pro (they are usually on sale for about $20-30 and will help with this). Be advised that the advertised speed on the package is usually read speed, which is always faster than write speed.

The Extreme Pro's can write about 45-60 MB/s and are plenty fast for the Z5. Or if you want to go all out, get the UHS-II version (costs about $100) but those write about 250 MB/s (probably overkill for stills shooting on the Z5).

With my Extreme Pro's in my Z5,  there is no lag (and these are the UHS-I ones that are advertised at 170 MB/s).  Got them for about $20 from B&H on sale.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +14 more
OP Carlo86 New Member • Posts: 6

Thanks for the hint!

Indeed - tried now with an older 32GB Sandisk Extreme card and the difference was visible, although still not perfect I would say.

But still seems Nikon screwed up a bit here - as I didn't remember such problems with my older cameras I did a similar test with that slower card on my D810, which should make roughly for an equal setting (much bigger RAW files but less FPS) - so just flooded the buffer and pressed the display button - and after 1s or so of initial lag could immediately scroll backwards! So seems they've re-invented the wheel on the Z6ii a bit and in the wrong direction...

Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +4 more

Carlo86 wrote:

Thanks for the hint!

Indeed - tried now with an older 32GB Sandisk Extreme card and the difference was visible, although still not perfect I would say.

But still seems Nikon screwed up a bit here - as I didn't remember such problems with my older cameras I did a similar test with that slower card on my D810, which should make roughly for an equal setting (much bigger RAW files but less FPS) - so just flooded the buffer and pressed the display button - and after 1s or so of initial lag could immediately scroll backwards! So seems they've re-invented the wheel on the Z6ii a bit and in the wrong direction...

This is probably why Nikon didn’t include a second (SD) slot on the original Z6: People will blame the camera/Nikon for the lag caused by terrible SD-card speeds.

As far as I remember The d810 is capable of 5 fps a full resolution. The Z6 ii is capable of atleast twice that in normal circumstances.

It’s hard numbers. Your SD card is the bottleneck. Change it to something fitting for your use.

Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Tamron 70-210mm F4 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +5 more

DanishMacro wrote:

Carlo86 wrote:

Thanks for the hint!

This is probably why Nikon didn’t include a second (SD) slot on the original Z6: People will blame the camera/Nikon for the lag caused by terrible SD-card speeds.

As far as I remember The d810 is capable of 5 fps a full resolution. The Z6 ii is capable of atleast twice that in normal circumstances.

It’s hard numbers. Your SD card is the bottleneck. Change it to something fitting for your use.

It's not related to the second card slot, as the card slots are more than capable (with even a UHS-I card) to handle the bandwidth of burst shooting.

I would suggest the OP try a newer UHS-I Class 2 or Class 3 card.  There is also an option in the menus where it will display all images after a continuous (burst) shoot.  Turn that off too.  Try those two things and get back to us.

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

DanishMacro wrote:

Carlo86 wrote:

Thanks for the hint!

It's not related to the second card slot, as the card slots are more than capable (with even a UHS-I card) to handle the bandwidth of burst shooting.

I would suggest the OP try a newer UHS-I Class 2 or Class 3 card. There is also an option in the menus where it will display all images after a continuous (burst) shoot. Turn that off too. Try those two things and get back to us.

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m writing: I know the slot is capable enough. Please read my post again.

DanishMacro wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

DanishMacro wrote:

Carlo86 wrote:

Thanks for the hint!

I would suggest the OP try a newer UHS-I Class 2 or Class 3 card. There is also an option in the menus where it will display all images after a continuous (burst) shoot. Turn that off too. Try those two things and get back to us.

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m writing: I know the slot is capable enough. Please read my post again.

That's what I said....  I basically mirrored what you said.  All I added was for the OP to use a faster card.  If the card they are using is only 10MB/s write speed, that's the bottleneck, not the slot, which is what I said.

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

DanishMacro wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

DanishMacro wrote:

Carlo86 wrote:

Thanks for the hint!

That's what I said.... I basically mirrored what you said. All I added was for the OP to use a faster card. If the card they are using is only 10MB/s write speed, that's the bottleneck, not the slot, which is what I said.

You seem to have concluded that I thought the card slot was the culprit. My point was that Nikon might not have included a SD slot in the original Z6 because some users would use slow cards, and blame the lag on the camera. Not that the conclusion holds any merit.

OP Carlo86 New Member • Posts: 6

DanishMacro wrote:

Carlo86 wrote:

Thanks for the hint!

Yes, I agree that the card was slow and a speedier one made it much better. But...after some more thorough testing I'm sure Nikon also screwed up here as seems Z6ii cannot two things at the same time - write out the buffer the SD cards and browse the images at the same time. And this works fine with on the D810 with the same card.

So I did a small test. Not overly scientific but took out the calculator still First did a full burst on the D810 until the buffer ran out - that gave 19 NEF-s at ca 41MB = 758MB. Took 50s to write it out, i.e. time of the green light on...but after 1 or 2 seconds I could scroll backwards in image review! So no biggie basically that flushing is running in the background.

Then I looked at the average Z6ii NEF size (27MB) and calculated that for same data amount I needed to do a 28 shot burst. Writing out this took 42s which is actually a bit faster than on the D810...but for the whole time I could not scroll back in image review mode, it just shows a black screen for the whole flushing duration if scrolling left from last image!

So in short I see no reason why it shouldn't work like previously on the D810...funny, Z6ii cannot do parallel processing with it's 2 processors

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads