Trigger multiple speedlites

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
fr4nk New Member • Posts: 1
Trigger multiple speedlites

Hi there!

I have a question about triggering multiple speedlites.

Basically, I own one wireless speedlite (Godox tt600s for Sony) and 2 without wireless.

I know I need the X1T to trigger the wireless one and use it's features (HSS), but how do I also trigger the others? Do I need any particular receiver or there's multiple options?

My camera is a Sony A7mk1.

Thank you for your time.

m_black
m_black Contributing Member • Posts: 977
Re: Trigger multiple speedlites

Godox has a dedicated receiver that a regular flash slots into, turning a non-wireless flash into a wireless flash. I think its called the X1R-S. S for Sony. Its as seamless as a all in one wireless flash, but has the added piece with hot shoe for communication.

-- hide signature --

(formerly mgblack74)
On IG: mikeblack_pw

m_black's gear list:m_black's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,174

fr4nk wrote:

Hi there!

I have a question about triggering multiple speedlites.

Basically, I own one wireless speedlite (Godox tt600s for Sony) and 2 without wireless.

I know I need the X1T to trigger the wireless one and use it's features (HSS), but how do I also trigger the others? Do I need any particular receiver or there's multiple options?

My camera is a Sony A7mk1.

Thank you for your time.

Check if the "2 without wireless" have an S1/S2 slave mode. Either of these modes will fire the flash when it sees a bright pulse of light from any other source (like your TT600). S1 will fire at the very first pulse, S2 is supposed to ignore any TTL preflashes.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +28 more
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,222

You can fire all 3 flashes even though they’re not for the canon but only in manual mode. In fact you don’t even need a radio trigger you can use your on camera flash to set them all off. You could use TTL on the godox and again you don’t need a trigger just use the on camera flash. Check YouTube on how to set your Godox flash to use optical trigger instead of radio. It’s actually simple to set up.

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,901

fr4nk wrote:

A lot of this depends on what the "2 without wireless" flashes are.

I know I need the X1T to trigger the wireless one and use it's features (HSS),

Actually, there are about four or five Godox transmitters you can use. Just saying. The X1T-S is the oldest one with the worst UI. The Xpro-S, Flashpoint R2 Pro II-S, and theX2T-S are the current models I'd recommend looking at if you haven't yet bought an X1T-S.

but how do I also trigger the others? Do I need any particular receiver or there's multiple options?

Multiple options exist.

You can add Godox X1R-S receivers to the feet of the other two flashes, but you won't get TTL or HSS or possibly even remote power control if they're not Sony-compatible flashes with multi-interface feet. If, like the TT600s, they're single-pin manual only flashes, then all any hotshoe [camera or receiver] can tell them to do is fire.  HSS and remote power control are not going to be possible.

At that point, getting the Flashpoint SPT transceivers might make more sense to use as manual-only radio triggers. Unfortunately, if you're outside the US, I don't think that's an option as they're Adorama exclusives.

But. If these two other flashes come equipped with "dumb" optical slave modes (typically called S1/S2), you could also use those to have them fire when those slave modes sense that the TT600s fires. This would, however, be manual only and not capable of TTL/HSS/remote power control.

This is just me, but I'd say consider getting additional TT600/TT600s units instead of add-on receivers for your other two flashes. A TT600 is only $60. An X1R-S is $40. For the convenience of having built-in triggers, remote power, group, and HSS control, IMHO, the additional $20 is more than worth it.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,947

Have you tried the Lighting Forum instead?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads