Canon G5X mk II release button behaviour

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
daeheinz New Member • Posts: 2
Canon G5X mk II release button behaviour

I have a G5X mk II since 3 days now and am generally very happy with it. Only the shutter release button is a little sensitive, as I think.

When I press halfway to focus, I only need to remove very little pressure with the finger that the camera leaves focus mode again. So there is actually only a very specific pressure point almost without a certain tolerance, which activates focusing before pressing all the way down. So it happens to me from time to time that I get out of the focus function a couple of times while waiting for the perfect moment for taking the picture.

I don't experience this with the G9X mk II or the EOS M3 or M6 mk II.

Does anyone have a Canon G5X mk II and can confirm this behaviour of the shutter button?

Thanks for sharing any experience !

Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mipa1955
mipa1955 Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Canon G5X mk II release button behaviour

You surely have made a good choice to take the G5X II.

I never had any issue with the af/release button when operating the camera. However reading your description, I understand what you mean and feel that from a mechanical perspective (the small range of keeping AF operating) my copy appears to work the same way as yours.

However my feeling with the release button appears to be quite different. Pushing the button about 1 mm down activates AF. Fine. Releasing it only a little bit stops AF. Not any issue for my. Why? Because there is a decent point of resistance between activating the AF and releasing the shutter. So I always have some solid pressure on the button while having AF and waiting for the right moment to trigger the shot. The two-stage increment of pressure needed to push down the button from 'nothing' through AF to release is nicely balanced from my point of view. There is no risk to take unwanted shots when keeping the finger on the button with a bit more pressure during AF.

OP daeheinz New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Canon G5X mk II release button behaviour

Thank you for your answer and sharing your experience. I think you describe the behaviour of the button exactly as I experience it. I think it's just a question of getting used to it. The more familiar I get with the camera, the more I get used to this behaviour and it gets to feel more balanced to me.

and yes, the camera is just great to have with me every day.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads