D7100 in 2021?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
M_digicapt Senior Member • Posts: 3,090
D7100 in 2021?

Hi,

I was offered a low shutter count with some scrapes for a low price.

I read that is slow to buffer. But other than that is it a nice camera to use? Is the IQ of the newer models that much better.

Is the tracking good enough for general wildlife?

Also, will it confirm focus with manual lenses?

Thanks

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: D7100 in 2021?

I don’t have a D7100 but I do have a D7200 and to be honest the small improvements (better low light performance, slightly better battery performance and WiFi capability) really don’t mean much to me at all.

I really like the D7200 and it’s a terrific all-around camera. The AF performance isn’t up to that of my D500’s but I’ve taken many thousands of images with the D7200 and it’s been great for everything including travel, landscapes, portraits and wildlife including BIF. I’m sure I’d find the D7100 just as useful.

You could download the D7100 User manual from Nikon’s website to check all the features.

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +5 more
m1964 Contributing Member • Posts: 697

M_digicapt wrote:

Hi,

I read that is slow to buffer. But other than that is it a nice camera to use? Is the IQ of the newer models that much better.

Thanks

What are you using right now?

if not a secret, what is the price of the D7100?

I have D7100 and was considering upgrade but, as I am not using the camera much right now, any upgrade (including to ML) does not make sense for me.

I would consider upgrading to Z50 because of its low weight if we had any travel plans in the near future; upgrade to FF Z5 would be very expensive and yield almost no weight savings.

m1964's gear list:m1964's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD
realmadeira Regular Member • Posts: 284

Everything has its market price and D7100 in nice condition right now goes for 300 dollars or euro. D7200 is more capable (better IQ, buffer and AF) is therefore is worth more 500

Shooting D7100 in AF-C, auto-ISO, RAW 14 bit only gives you 3 shots buffer, which for wildlife is teaching you a trigger discipline. Depends on your shooting style, but I am often frustrated that often I cannot get a shot because the buffer is empty and the frame rate falls to 1 fps

BillAngel Regular Member • Posts: 150

M_digicapt wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

I've been doing a lot of photography at the local zoo recently with the D7100 and have been quite satisfied with the results. The image quality is excellent. Most of my zoo photography is at ISO 200 with the lens set at f/8 of subjects that aren't moving that much, so there really isn't a need for the performance features that are offered by the newer more expensive Nikons.

Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,682

M_digicapt wrote:

Hi,

What is the price?  I'd consider 350 to be a gotta buy it price, 400 to be pretty good, 450-500 just okay

Its a great camera.  Not a big buffer for long RAW series for sure, tolerable for jpgs

I think so.

yes

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +20 more
OP M_digicapt Senior Member • Posts: 3,090
More info…

Thanks to all for the feedback. Here some answers to questions asked.

The price is to be fair according to what other quoted and I trust the guy who is selling it to me.

My main camera is an Olympus E-M1 mkii with a manual FD 300mm F4 L lens and sometimes with the Olympus 1.4x TC. The image is very good and I can manual focus in most settings. Also have the Olympus 75-300mm which I use when I need AF, but have found that for the tracking is not that great.

The idea I had was to pair it with a Tamron 18-400mm to use as a second camera so I can track things when needed, plus for flower and scenic photos. Thus avoiding the need to switch lenses in the field.

Which lenses are you using with the D7100?

Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: More info…

M_digicapt wrote:

Before I bought my D500 I used my Nikon 200-500 quite a lot on my D7200.  Nowadays it has become my everyday and travel body and most of the time it has a Nikon DX 16-80 on it.

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +5 more
m1964 Contributing Member • Posts: 697

M_digicapt wrote:

Mostly 16-80 when traveling and 70-300 AF-P FX.

I think Nikon lenses would be better then Tamron for tracking.

m1964's gear list:m1964's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD
straitouttahell
straitouttahell Contributing Member • Posts: 626

IQ will be more or less on par with your Oly. The D7100 is still a very good camera, but so is the E-M1 too.

You'll miss IBIS (in-lens IS isn't even closely as effective) and you'll be mad at the AF, at least until you learn its quirks and fine-tune it.

You'll have a shallower DOF at the same framing, this may or may not be a good thing, depending on your taste.

The D7100 has a known issue of banding in the shadows when lifting blacks at or close to base ISO. For my kind of shooting this is rarely a problem, YMMV.

straitouttahell's gear list:straitouttahell's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D2X Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Nikon D70 +4 more

Blufftonian wrote:

M_digicapt wrote:

Before I bought my D500 I used my Nikon 200-500 quite a lot on my D7200. Nowadays it has become my everyday and travel body and most of the time it has a Nikon DX 16-80 on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

m1964 wrote:

M_digicapt wrote:

Mostly 16-80 when traveling and 70-300 AF-P FX.

I think Nikon lenses would be better then Tamron for tracking.

Thanks for the feedback.

straitouttahell wrote:

IQ will be more or less on par with your Oly. The D7100 is still a very good camera, but so is the E-M1 too.

You'll miss IBIS (in-lens IS isn't even closely as effective) and you'll be mad at the AF, at least until you learn its quirks and fine-tune it.

You'll have a shallower DOF at the same framing, this may or may not be a good thing, depending on your taste.

The D7100 has a known issue of banding in the shadows when lifting blacks at or close to base ISO. For my kind of shooting this is rarely a problem, YMMV.

Thanks.

Have you used both cameras? Is the D7100 better for tracking birds?

Is banding a problem with both jpegs and raw? Can it be fix in post?

straitouttahell
straitouttahell Contributing Member • Posts: 626

M_digicapt wrote:

straitouttahell wrote:

Thanks.

I haven't tried an E-M1 II, but I had an E-M5 and based my guesswork on the experience I have with that camera. I usually shoot static subjects and only shoot raw, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help.

straitouttahell's gear list:straitouttahell's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D2X Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Nikon D70 +4 more

straitouttahell wrote:

M_digicapt wrote:

straitouttahell wrote:

Thanks.

I haven't tried an E-M1 II, but I had an E-M5 and based my guesswork on the experience I have with that camera. I usually shoot static subjects and only shoot raw, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help.

Thanks

Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,310

Have you decided on that D7100?

If it helps, take a look at this D7200 review I wrote years ago. I included some comparisons to my previous D7100.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4017175

I must say that IQ wise I liked my D7100 better. I never had the banding issue that others reported.

All the best.

-- hide signature --

My posts/comments are just my opinion. I try to quote my experience to support my opinion, where appropriate. My disagreement with others' opinion is not a personal attack against the person, their knowledge or integrity. I politely explain why I disagree. If my comment is not clear, please ask.
I expect the same from others. And I hope to learn something from them. If they are attacking me as opposed to disagreeing with my opinion, I usually block them.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,505

In the US on eBay and used camera retailers, I am seeing strong pricing, like $600-700 for a D7200. I think it's similar to what is happening with cars. New cameras cost so much, it's keep used camera pricing strong. I try to buy camera bodies from US retailers where you get a 3- to 6-month warranty.

I'm not sure, does the D7100 have Mic and Headphones connections like the D7200.  That would be important to me if I planned on used the camera for videos.

I think they are both solid cameras with the dual card slots and the ability to adjust focus of lenses.

Solomon
Solomon Senior Member • Posts: 2,068

Satyaa wrote:

If it helps, take a look at this D7200 review I wrote years ago. I included some comparisons to my previous D7100.

I must say that IQ wise I liked my D7100 better. I never had the banding issue that others reported.

All the best.

Great review. I'm looking at both camera and it really helped.

Regards,

Sol

Solomon's gear list:Solomon's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D1X +14 more

Satyaa wrote:

All the best.

Didn't end up getting camera, but had a chance to try it and it worked well.

Out of curiosity, what makes the D7100's IQ better?

Thanks

Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,310

Apparently, they both use the same sensor but Nikon did something to 'fix' the banding issue in D7200. For someone like me who dosn't need to push the image 5 stops  in PP, there should be no difference.

In my case, my D7200 needs massive AFFT with at lease two of my lenses. Doing AFFT is a pain for me. So, I just don't use those two lenses on that body. Even on the other lenses, I feel that it doesn't produce the best results it is possible of. When I shoot in live-view, it is better.

I am OK living with the small unnoticeable loss of IQ, that is only visible at 100% pixel peeping. My D7100 was super sharp even if zooming past 100%.

The problem is not unique because my D810 also requires AFFT with two of my FF lenses (not the same two that need AFFT on D7200). It works well with the rest.

for the pain of AFFT, I have decided to buy no more DSLR bodies/lenses. My next destination is ML

-- hide signature --

My posts/comments are just my opinion. I try to quote my experience to support my opinion, where appropriate. My disagreement with others' opinion is not a personal attack against the person, their knowledge or integrity. I politely explain why I disagree. If my comment is not clear, please ask.
I expect the same from others. And I hope to learn something from them. If they are attacking me as opposed to disagreeing with my opinion, I usually block them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads