Sound absorbing mat or isolation pad for desktop PC

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ggeinec Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Sound absorbing mat or isolation pad for desktop PC

I'm looking for some kind of sound absorbing mat or isolation pad (or material) to slip under my desktop PC so that it doesn't transfer a low level hum to the desk.

Ideas?

Thanks!

sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,840
Re: Sound absorbing mat or isolation pad for desktop PC

Probably some generic gym mat would suffice.  There are anti vibration pads for washing machines - but those are pretty thick...it would depend on your case feet if they fit.

Mine is on the carpeted floor, so no issues.

I know what you mean - I have had external hard drives hum irritatingly on my desk.. I'm like what is making noise now!?!!

NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 2,300

Is this your fans? You might want to look at the fan profiles if you haven't.  In a newish system there isn't really anything else in motion.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 2,001

sludge21017 wrote:

Probably some generic gym mat would suffice.

On that note, I'll suggest looking into Yoga mats. They seem somewhat on the "reasonably thin" side. I've never owned one myself but I've seen a fair number of people cut them up for alternative uses like shelf or drawer liners.

SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,373

The foam insulation you use to sound deaden cars would work but you don't need much. I guess the sound is transmitted by the four feet. try putting a thick insulating material like a strip of foam draught excluder or felt under each foot.

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,622

If you happen to have some bubble wrap lying around it would be worth a try.  Lots of Amazon goods come in bubble wrap envelopes.

NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 2,300

One thing. If you have bottom air vents don't block them with something . Make sure the clearance stays the same or increases.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,580

ggeinec wrote:

I'm looking for some kind of sound absorbing mat or isolation pad (or material) to slip under my desktop PC so that it doesn't transfer a low level hum to the desk.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Look for something like this as a replacement for the existing feet on the PC. Much neater than a mat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hudson-Hi-Fi-Platinum-Hemisphere-Isolation/dp/B075KHNK62/ref=sr_1_28?adgrpid=54016985980&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwytOEBhD5ARIsANnRjVj4lSzF-Hc45WCaG69pXKZHVoj7EiPAJh60vEu0hbS0hETwdiyur10aAtR5EALw_wcB&hvadid=259097241743&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1007103&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16612253031312227834&hvtargid=kwd-336460589724&hydadcr=28176_1821089&keywords=sound+isolation+feet&qid=1620386959&sr=8-28

gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,143

I'd recommend a barry mount. They make a million styles and sizes. Vibration reduction is what they are designed for. In the old days, you could buy them at any music store. I have some somewhere that I used under my turntable to minimize feedback from my speakers.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
sam45
sam45 Regular Member • Posts: 440

Rubber feet or bumpers. Minimizes contact, so less transfer.

sam45's gear list:sam45's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Nikon 1 J5 +12 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,622

gscotten wrote:

I'd recommend a barry mount.

Never heard of these before, very cool.   Thanks for the tip!

charleyd Senior Member • Posts: 1,219

I use round rubber coasters under my sound bars. They stop the vibrations and they are cheap.

Jay J Hector Regular Member • Posts: 161

This is what I use for various sound isolation of devices:

https://www.amazon.com/BXI-Sound-Absorber-Absorption-Polyester/dp/B077Q2HYMW/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_rp_c_3_2?pd_rd_w=ijhMd&pf_rd_p=26d392db-8b78-4d00-b33d-2981cba34f91&pf_rd_r=ABMGQKEVK81H932FJRQR&pd_rd_r=28c0fda6-b3ee-419c-bcf4-56b4d64ca278&pd_rd_wg=Nig7D&pd_rd_i=B077Q2HYMW&psc=1

BXI Sound Absorber - 16 X 12 X 3/8 Inches 6 Pack High Density Acoustic Absorption Panel, Sound Absorbing Panels Reduce Echo Reverb, Tackable Acoustic Panels for Wall and Ceiling Acoustic Treatment

skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,872

ggeinec wrote:

Ideas?

On amazon do a search for "shock absorbing pads" and many styles will be found.  Pick one that suits you.

OP ggeinec Contributing Member • Posts: 784

sludge21017 wrote:

Probably some generic gym mat would suffice. There are anti vibration pads for washing machines - but those are pretty thick...it would depend on your case feet if they fit.

Mine is on the carpeted floor, so no issues.

... snipped ...

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I thought about piecing off a small section, or one for each foot, of a gym or yoga mat but I don't have an old one of those lying around.

While searching I saw the anti vibration pads for washing machines and that certainly seems like overkill on several levels even if they would fit.

NickZ2016 wrote:

Is this your fans? You might want to look at the fan profiles if you haven't. In a newish system there isn't really anything else in motion.

Thanks for your reply.

No, it's not the fans. It's a WD Black HDD that periodically spins up and then spins down again a while later when it goes back to sleep.

Overall the PC itself is very quiet. It's just that WD HDD that's sending out a subtle low level hum through the feet of the case when it's spinning. It's like low frequency tinnitus.

SC489 wrote:

The foam insulation you use to sound deaden cars would work but you don't need much. I guess the sound is transmitted by the four feet. try putting a thick insulating material like a strip of foam draught excluder or felt under each foot.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, this basically is what I have been looking for, hoping I had something lying around here that I could repurpose that way but no such luck. It doesn't hurt to ping others for ideas I haven't thought of.

Sean Nelson wrote:

If you happen to have some bubble wrap lying around it would be worth a try. Lots of Amazon goods come in bubble wrap envelopes.

Thanks for your reply.

Funny, for kicks I tried cutting up one of those white Amazon bubble wrap envelopes for a temporary solution but that was too thin. Esthetics prevented me from adding layers . . .

IanYorke wrote:

ggeinec wrote:

Ideas?

Thanks!

Look for something like this as a replacement for the existing feet on the PC. Much neater than a mat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hudson-Hi-Fi-Platinum-Hemisphere-Isolation/dp/B075KHNK62/ref=sr_1_28?adgrpid=54016985980&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwytOEBhD5ARIsANnRjVj4lSzF-Hc45WCaG69pXKZHVoj7EiPAJh60vEu0hbS0hETwdiyur10aAtR5EALw_wcB&hvadid=259097241743&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1007103&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16612253031312227834&hvtargid=kwd-336460589724&hydadcr=28176_1821089&keywords=sound+isolation+feet&qid=1620386959&sr=8-28

Thanks for your reply.

I had seen those and others that are very similar. They come very close but I prefer not to use anything that has adhesive. It also seems, through my searching, that when I factor in the particular item of something like this that I need to support the weight of my case they are out of stock or quite expensive. This may be a temporary supply chain issue like with lots of other tech products.

skyglider wrote:

ggeinec wrote:

Ideas?

On amazon do a search for "shock absorbing pads" and many styles will be found. Pick one that suits you.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have spent way too much time doing that. Unfortunately anything I have found so far that looks like it could be what I am looking for is out of stock, too expensive, or requires buying way more than I would use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads