Essaouira, Morocco 2018

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,345
Essaouira, Morocco 2018

I revisited this shot taken in the good old days when we used to go places and see things. I'd done a black and white conversion at the time but wasn't happy with it. But today when I saw the colour version again it was so obvious that a better BW lay within.

The conundrum is whether to post this in black and white or landscape and travel - choices choices.

One of my fave photographic genres which is much overlooked. Maximalism.

I'll add another fave from the trip. A colour photo to justify posting in the travel section.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com
You are welcome to reprocess and repost my pics on DPR.

Jeff DLB
Jeff DLB Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re: Essaouira, Morocco 2018

jkjond wrote:

I am not familiar with this intriguing concept. Does it refer to having many elements in the photo, each worthy of attention? Like the rooftop photo shoot, the diners, the two guys in the two doors, and the bird in your photo?

-- hide signature --
 Jeff DLB's gear list:Jeff DLB's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,345

Jeff DLB wrote:

jkjond wrote:

I am not familiar with this intriguing concept. Does it refer to having many elements in the photo, each worthy of attention? Like the rooftop photo shoot, the diners, the two guys in the two doors, and the bird in your photo?

Yes. It is simply the opposite of Minimalism which ultimately ends up with an empty frame. In every photograph everything counts so it isn't just a matter of packing as much as you can into a frame. The shot I took 4 seconds before this one is not worth of an initial glance despite containing all the same elements except the guy in the door. I do like minimalism and isolation, but an endless gallery of minimalism can get pretty boring.

Maximalism derives from analysing wedding photography. My fave shots often have strong background support and secondary interest. When shooting a bride and groom I  aim to keep aware of what is happening around them.

-- hide signature --

akustykmagmanetpl Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

both very nicely composed! well done!

jkjond wrote:

I revisited this shot taken in the good old days when we used to go places and see things. I'd done a black and white conversion at the time but wasn't happy with it. But today when I saw the colour version again it was so obvious that a better BW lay within.

The conundrum is whether to post this in black and white or landscape and travel - choices choices.

I'll add another fave from the trip. A colour photo to justify posting in the travel section.

akustykmagmanetpl's gear list:akustykmagmanetpl's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +9 more
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 1,276

The 'maximalist' one looks like a mixture of street/travel but it's very nice, it does tell a story.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Thanks akustykmagmanetpl, Quarkcharmed [nt]
-- hide signature --

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 5,208

jkjond wrote:

First one is really nice, could be snatched right of of the 1950s.

The 2nd one made me chuckle, a snooze in the nets? Sleeping it off? I'm just imagining what those nets smell like in the hot sun. 

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0

Thanks. The guy in the nets - he was working. I walked along taking the usual pattern in nets shots when one of them started to move all by itself. When I finally climbed back down from the lamp post I jumped up I realised it was a guy working in there.

-- hide signature --

kaphinga
kaphinga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,492

jkjond wrote:

Glad you posted in this forum because I never would have seen it in the B&W forum. It's a fabulous image.

Your comment about Maximalism made me think about an article I read on Ming Thein's website a few years ago. He talked about concept called Wimmelbild, which he describes as  "the concept of ‘teeming pictures’ – or a composition that is extremely full of detail and sub-scenes within the main composition." You are not pushing it as far as he does, but you still might find it an interesting read: https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/06/24/wimmelbild-im-fotografie/

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Apple iPhone 11 Pro

Thanks, and thanks for the link. I've had a quick peep at his examples and will read it through later. The comments section below the article looks interesting too - I saw a snippet when someone makes a comparison to Gursky. I didn't think much of Gursky's work until I watched a couple of youtube documentaries about him. As his most famous piece is arguably his worst there's no wonder I didn't rate him before finding out more.

I spent a weekend in London shortly after watching those and found a surprising influence. For this shot to be maximalism there's need to be workers on the roof - that would work very well as they'd be in a different world to the tourists below. Each working independently, each dependant on the other. But as is, I'm really pleased with how this photo worked out though I'd correct the keystoning if I could find the original file! Wrapped buildings is a fave theme, I can't resist them - especially if it is a landmark structure.

The idea of maximalism is simply to say there's more to photography than minimalism. Deep down, it is also a reaction against the critique 'what's the real subject, nothing is taking control of the picture'. Although the comment is often well placed there are times when it totally misses the point. My horseguards shot would not have been taken had it not been for the wrapping, but is that the subject? I don't think so, but neither is it a passive background.

-- hide signature --

Jeff DLB
Jeff DLB Regular Member • Posts: 328

kaphinga wrote:

you still might find it an interesting read: https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/06/24/wimmelbild-im-fotografie/

Great article - thank you for posting.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff DLB's gear list:Jeff DLB's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more

kaphinga wrote:

jkjond wrote:

Glad you posted in this forum because I never would have seen it in the B&W forum. It's a fabulous image.

Your comment about Maximalism made me think about an article I read on Ming Thein's website a few years ago. He talked about concept called Wimmelbild, which he describes as "the concept of ‘teeming pictures’ – or a composition that is extremely full of detail and sub-scenes within the main composition." You are not pushing it as far as he does, but you still might find it an interesting read: https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/06/24/wimmelbild-im-fotografie/

I've had a good look through Ming's site, he's a talented chap. I was flicking through thinking he's a good allrounder, but what's his speciality, then saw his rock solid studio work. Of all his work, i'd say his wimmelbild collection is his weakest, I was a bit disappointed with the article. Then again, he'd set his standards so high as I looked through his entire portfolio before reading it. Worth reading and the responses are good.

Thanks again for the link, well worth seeing.

-- hide signature --

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,811

jkjond wrote:

kaphinga wrote:

jkjond wrote:

Your comment about Maximalism made me think about an article I read on Ming Thein's website a few years ago. He talked about concept called Wimmelbild, which he describes as "the concept of ‘teeming pictures’ – or a composition that is extremely full of detail and sub-scenes within the main composition." You are not pushing it as far as he does, but you still might find it an interesting read: https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/06/24/wimmelbild-im-fotografie/

I've had a good look through Ming's site, he's a talented chap. I was flicking through thinking he's a good allrounder, but what's his speciality, then saw his rock solid studio work. Of all his work, i'd say his wimmelbild collection is his weakest, I was a bit disappointed with the article. Then again, he'd set his standards so high as I looked through his entire portfolio before reading it. Worth reading and the responses are good.

Indeed an interesting link. I like the idea of Wimmelbild, and maybe what he shows is not the best of the kind, but it is something to look into. But more importantly, I think what he and Gursky are doing is only partially related to your concept. Two striking differences. Their subjects are mostly man-made [inanimate], yours is about people [and an essential seagull]. Secondly you do not try to have sub-scenes everywhere, but the 'empty' areas give a sense of place.

All in all a great image and a very interesting discussion

-- hide signature --

Helmers, Helmers, Helmers & Kinker
Attorneys at lost causes. Also forgettable poetry

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR

robert1955 wrote:

jkjond wrote:

kaphinga wrote:

jkjond wrote:

Indeed an interesting link. I like the idea of Wimmelbild, and maybe what he shows is not the best of the kind, but it is something to look into. But more importantly, I think what he and Gursky are doing is only partially related to your concept. Two striking differences. Their subjects are mostly man-made [inanimate], yours is about people [and an essential seagull]. Secondly you do not try to have sub-scenes everywhere, but the 'empty' areas give a sense of place.

All in all a great image and a very interesting discussion

The references to Brueghel and children's book illustration grabbed my attention. It is obviously easier to create a character filled composition with a pen or brush than with a camera but it reminded me of the hours spent with my brother pouring over the details in W Heath Robinson illustrations and  more recently the children's book illustrations of Korky Paul, most notably Winnie The Witch - a chance to relive the spirit of my childhood when reading to our girls (some years ago now!).

Gursky has some people based Wimmelbild photos - some formula one photos of pit stops springs to mind plus one of a crowd scene from above (actually, he did a few of those, very Where's Waldo).

Thanks for your comments on mine. It's a very satisfying image from my point of view. It isn't possible to track everything in the viewfinder for busy shots, so I'll have been aware of the roaming seagull, they guys on the roof - no avoiding the crowd eating, but the symmetry of the two guys in the doorways, I'm pretty sure the guy on the right had shown his face earlier and I was sure he'd return, the guy on the left is a happy coincidence.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads