A7 II no camera sensor output on LCD?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jcun4128 New Member • Posts: 22
A7 II no camera sensor output on LCD?

So... I have a used A7II and I dinged up the corner of my LCD. I bought this entire replacement metal LCD display but I did not realize you could just detach the cable at the display itself. So I took the camera completely apart following some guides to detach the ribbon cable from the board.

Anyway some extra screws later, I get the camera back together and then I test it. The sensor is not outputting an image on the display. All the other details are there though regarding the OSD eg. MF/AF, ISO, etc... all the buttons works.

So I wasn't sure if something is wrong or if the camera has a detection that it was messed with and then goes into like a "safe mode".

It seems like everything is connected, when I run the "clean mode" for example, the lens vibrates and then says to restart. But yeah, where you normally get an image in the background under the letters/OSD messages, it's just black.

Any thoughts? I intend to take it apart again to see maybe a ribbon cable was disconnected.

Oh if you want some gore... see the image below.

I am getting an A7RIII next but was hoping I didn't kill this camera, wouldn't mind having it as a spare.

Learning is a painful process ha

Pain

jcun4128's gear list:jcun4128's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +6 more
Sony a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,663
Re: A7 II no camera sensor output on LCD?

Do you get a display from the sensor in the EVF? I'm guessing, no....

I would double-check the seating of the three flex cables at the bottom of the main board. These connect to the sensor.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +26 more
OP jcun4128 New Member • Posts: 22

The EVF OSD works but no camera output.

I will recheck the ribbons... sucks I was gonna try and sell this as I got the A7RIII but now I messed it up oh well... if I get it fixed I'll just keep it.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +6 more
Desh Wasi Regular Member • Posts: 132

Maybe you can help me (from experience). How does the ribbon cable ZIF connector open in the back of display? i have removed the metal cover plate covering the zif connector. now, does the black plastic piece flip open to release the cable? I have read that part is delicate and dont want to mess up a working lcd.

The white piece flips up. Have to flip it from the back side (rotates towards cable). I used a razor blade (can use your finger nail if it's long enough). It makes the cable slide in/out easier. Otherwise it is a pain to take apart the other side (body connection) as it is sandwiched by 3 layers of plastic/metal ha.

There are a lot of good shots out there/take aparts like ifixit/lensrental.

Worst case I bought this whole assembly on eBay for $80 shipped in a couple days from Hong Kong crazy right? Fast shipping

On the body side it's different it's face up, kind of interesting.

Taken with my still functional Nex 5n

Ohhhhh........ mannn....... omg.... It is the middle cable. I had everything assembled, and then I accidentally pulled out the cable from the main board again ahhhhhh.... oh man... I'm so sad... I gotta do it again... it's finess...

But yeah it's not bricked. The middle pin, this piece that pushes down on the ribbon cable came off.

how far down you have to go

to get to this ribbon cable

The actual problem, middle is the camera

I did get it to work

All put together except EVF (lens cap on)

accidentally pulled it out while fidgeting with the other side of the cable and the metal lock

Let me see how long it takes me to do this again, will run a timer

good thing is, you know its not bricked (as expected). i am sure it will be faster this time thanks for the nice pic of the cable connector. so the white piece flips up towards the cable and then i just pull out the cable? does the cable provide resistance or it pulls out rather easily once the white latch is flipped open? is this the same cable that you dislodged accidentally (other end) ?

The other side is a little different, it's upside down and wider.

Yeah this display is tricky because of the bending, really need to try avoiding applying any "pulling" particularly at the base/near the camera.

I don't know if yours has the little plate that secures the ribbon against that channel. May have already dealt with that if you took off the plate that covers the connector.

If you had like one of those plastic tweezers that could help. But yeah once you lift it up, it'll have some resistance but it should just "pull out" make sure to do it flat/parallel to how it's mounted.

Do you have an entire assembly or just the digital part.

I would I'd advise suggest you to look at these sites (iFixit A7R , lensrental A72 ) for their images if you're not 100% with taking it apart yet. It is advisable to have a plan like in my case lol.

Anyway it is hard to take it out just because of the angle... it's easier when it's disassembled because you have the right grasp on the cable end.

I messed mine up because I put the metal clips on in the wrong order, the connector one goes on first and then the channel cover goes on second so the connector can bend over the curve of the cover.

Yeah mine's not bricked thankfully haha, took some nice shots of my cat

thanks. i did look at those sites (and numerous other videos) but couldnt find a single clear shot/video of how it opened.. until yours. thanks again. i am planning on replacing this plate that is sandwiched near top of lcd that has the latch. my lcd does not latch in place even though i hear it click when pushed in. i am guessing the latch spring/tension is bad causing it to not pop up enough to engage with the protruding plastic. Can you check your lcd latch and see if it sticks out enough from the frame? mine sits pretty much flush with the frame.

hmm.. i see a rectangular frame sitting around the springy lcd latch on the top edge of your lcd (in one of your pics). I have a A7Rii and i dont have any such piece around my springy latch.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. I am happy to help if I can... I had to take it apart again as the AF/MF switch is hard to align. And it's hard to verify it's working through the EVF so have to plug the LCD back in... but it's yeah...

maybe 6th time or 8th time is the charm lol oh well...

I'm trying to rationalize having so many devices.

Added as set of images may help although note the chasis is detached here

See my images how far the LCD can tilt. I'm still reassembling mine/making sure the AF/MF switch works so I'll be around.

edit: want to clarify, I'm not suggesting you take yours apart, do whatever is appropriate/try to minimalize taking it apart.

This is showing how you'd put it back together, would do reverse.

edit: well that was not good, guess all this mucking around I must have pinched the ribbon cable too many times or something. Released magic smoke on the "new" display ahh... will see if it still works with the old one. I noticed it was dimmer.

So... let's do a quick recap... a "retrospective"

Was this a waste of my own time? yes... 8hrs+

Was this a waste of money? yes... $80+ and camera is not sellable anymore

Why did this happen? I threw my camera in with loose lenses in my backpack...

How did this fix problem happen... did not RTFM or guides enough.

Anyway in the end it's fine... I burn money (that's why I'm poor) and I also have the A7RIII to mess up next.

What is the outcome? I'm back to my original LCD, it is dim now... I suspect because of the short from the new one. Somehow it shorted... must not have been centered when reconnected. Thankfully this camera is well designed, where that short did not destroy the rest of the camera as evident in the photos of my boi.

Some post rebuild notes:

- battery out

- take note eg. draw/tape the screws where they go back so you know where they go, I think at least 3 separate piles: outside/evf, LCD/top, internal

- If something feels like it's resisting, don't force it, may have put a screw in too early and the piece/edge is running into it.

- Before finalizing the assembly, make sure the AF/MF switch works, it's this spring loaded thing that's hard to align. The neutral position of the AF/MF switch is actually with the switch (rotating plastic part) in the AEL position.

- I put the metal cover over the LCD connection first, then I screwed the bend-frame mount to the body, then I added the channel metal clip back over the LCD ribbon cable.

- try not to work over a carpet where you can't find a screw if it falls into it

the fractures I wasn't trying to fix

The source of the sacred magic smoke

Reassembled with Zeiss 55

Post assembly image had to take with EVF since LCD is pretty dim

Mmm 1.8

Anyway even so... the camera will be like a B-camera and since it has that HDMI out I'll probably find some tiny display that matches the dimensions and 3D-print a case that holds it/get a tiny HDMI connector and use it like that.

Actually yeah, you could use a little suction cup stick it to the display and it holds a new case with HDMI out... has to be self powered though... but could probably run on a single cell lipo and some microcontroller... idk will keep it in mind. I bought a legit one mounts on the top but it's massive/will use for the other camera.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of photo you're looking for? How far it can extend.

Have you tried just seeing if it's stuck like use (a little) WD40 or something to loosen the joints?

Mine is parallel but it sticks out some past the body

Max upward rotation

snug lock

sorry to hear about the short. you think its because of the lcd cable not going in right? makes me more worried about removing that cable.

could you post a pic from the side (like mine) of the top of lcd frame unlatched? it looks like the springy latch on the top of lcd frame doesnt stick out on yours either. i wonder how it latches if its not sticking out enough to begin with? i am trying to figure out if its the latch thats defective on mine or something else before ordering any part.

Haha I'm not sorry I'm just dumb oh well. No I think it's because of that short that happened for me, which only happened because I kept having to take this camera apart so many times. The AF/MF switch was something that I didn't realize till later/had to take apart again to fix. I had it all ready and then I accidentally yanked out the LCD ribbon cable from the camera again... I don't know how many times I disassembled this thing.

It's not a huge deal  as I mentioned I'll probably do a mod where I use an HDMI-connected 3.5" display... from a quick glance they're not that slim though (due to driver board/power) oh well... reminder of my stupidity.

Here are some shots and two videos in a clip .

I'm not entirely sure what angle of a picture you're looking for. The latch is flush with the top of the display and it's vertical. There is a little tab in the body to catch it.

vertical

notch on body to catch lcd latch

thanks again. exactly the pic i needed. so yeah, its just like on mine. i wonder how the latch works if its so flush with the lcd top? on mine, the latch makes a click sound when it makes contact with the plastic but doesnt engage and comes right back out. puzzling.. the lcd frame/hinges look just fine (not bent out of shape or anything) and the lcd goes in parallel to the back, just doesnt stick there which i thought is due to latch not engaging properly but from pics looks just like yours. worst case i could also try entire screen part replacement like you, but dont want to for something stupid like this. if i could figure out the defective part, i could order part (thanks to SQLguy for providing the link to that encompass parts site).

If you have that little notch on the camera body itself (under the EVF) then the notch on the LCD just goes up/down. It's a triangle shape so that's how it goes in/out against the notch under the EVF.

The notch under the EVF is triangular but the spring loaded LCD latch is more rounded from what I can see.

Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,656

jcun4128,

Why did you do so much disassembly to replace the LCD.?

Wouldn't have been possible to take off the old one without taking the back or anything else off the body, just release the ribbon, plug the new one in and replace the retaining screws.

Always remove the batteries while working on a camera or any such equipment for the safety of the item or maybe for your own.

If the old LCD is working I reckon another new one would be good also & worth getting again to make the camera fully good again.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more

I am dumb that's the simple answer.

I did so much disassembly because I didn't read enough, saw some video how to take it apart, got that idea stuck in my head. But yeah I bought a full LCD body replacement thing.

Anyway it's possible a new LCD will work, despite the new one I bought that shorted out/smoked. The old LCD didn't have a dim problem, that's why I think I messed something up on the board and it's not outputting full brightnes anymore.

But I'm past it at this point, don't care that the LCD is dim, already got an A7RIII to work with going forward.

update: 05/11/2021

I did buy more replacement LCDs. I will see if the bad backlight issue is on the display or the actual board (camera) itself. The new replacement display I bought shorted at one point and actually released magic smoke/black scorched mark on ribbon connector area on LCD side.

I do wish I started with an A7RIII to begin with... my god this camera is amazing.

It is a bit pricey where it is not very replaceable but I think it will be my go to camera for a while.

edit: future update

So I think when the ribbon cable was pulled so it was not centered and shorted (smoke/dark spot on LCD ribbon connector board) it actually messed something up on the camera board. So yeah even a replacement LCD is not bright.

exactly. everything looks like you described (and in pics), just doesnt work to latch lcd in place.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads