Best 4k60 camera for the price?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jozzef
jozzef Forum Member • Posts: 64
Best 4k60 camera for the price?

I am in a market for a hybrid camera which can do 4k60 as well for under 1200 or even cheaper?

What to get?

Thank you!

JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,372
Re: Best 4k60 camera for the price?

I don’t understand how this isn’t a straight google search or online camera shop query filtering for capability and price and then coming here and saying, “Help me decide between these three cameras” or whatever.

Do a little homework. Then we can all jump in and plug our favorite brand.

BTW - a quick search reveals one ILC camera that fits your two criteria of price and 4K 60. It barely squeaks under the price, but that’s body only and on sale. You’ll need a lens.  Camcorders might be a better bet?  Or a high end point and shoot?

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
jozzef
OP jozzef Forum Member • Posts: 64

which one?

dwkdnvr Regular Member • Posts: 204

I'd guess the Fuji X-T3

dwkdnvr wrote:

I'd guess the Fuji X-T3

Not new for $1,200 or less.  At least in the US.

Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more

JustUs7 wrote:

dwkdnvr wrote:

I'd guess the Fuji X-T3

Not new for $1,200 or less. At least in the US.

Well, you said 'on sale' - I thought it had hit 1199 on sale at some point.

If not the Fuji, then probably the Panny G9. $1099 at the moment, I think.

dwkdnvr wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

dwkdnvr wrote:

I'd guess the Fuji X-T3

I’m sure I’m just getting older and cranky (but only late 40’s 😁), however - knowing nothing of 4k60, don’t need it, don’t care about it, yet that was a one or two minute search.

I get the choosing between a couple different cameras and wanting peoples real world experience from this forum.  But this was a straight price / spec query.  Then stop by and say, “What do you think of this or that?”

There may also be a point and shoot and perhaps a camcorder. I didn’t search that hard.

JustUs7 wrote:

dwkdnvr wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

dwkdnvr wrote:

I'd guess the Fuji X-T3

I’m sure I’m just getting older and cranky (but only late 40’s 😁), however - knowing nothing of 4k60, don’t need it, don’t care about it, yet that was a one or two minute search.

I get the choosing between a couple different cameras and wanting peoples real world experience from this forum. But this was a straight price / spec query. Then stop by and say, “What do you think of this or that?”

There may also be a point and shoot and perhaps a camcorder. I didn’t search that hard.

What you really need to get on is people bumping 5+ year old threads with new comments

ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,000

JustUs7 wrote:

I don’t understand how this isn’t a straight google search or online camera shop query filtering for capability and price and then coming here and saying, “Help me decide between these three cameras” or whatever.

BTW - a quick search reveals one ILC camera that fits your two criteria of price and 4K 60. It barely squeaks under the price, but that’s body only and on sale. You’ll need a lens. Camcorders might be a better bet? Or a high end point and shoot?

this has to be the most unhelpful comment I have ever read in DPReview. Wouldn't be surprised if JustUs7's photography was just as useless...

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

BTW - a quick search reveals one ILC camera that fits your two criteria of price and 4K 60. It barely squeaks under the price, but that’s body only and on sale. You’ll need a lens. Camcorders might be a better bet? Or a high end point and shoot?

this has to be the most unhelpful comment I have ever read in DPReview. Wouldn't be surprised if JustUs7's photography was just as useless...

I’m sure it is. My photography I mean. I just do it for me and my family.

But no. This is far from the most unhelpful comment ever on this board. That’s just hyperbole. 😁. I refer you to your response. Not even a “how to search”. Just a personal attack on me completely unrelated to the op.

jozzef

JustUs7 wrote:

Dude, I did search on google, but did not find a comparison between "budget" cameras other than mixed 4k30 and 4k60, one is better.  The choice cannot be so wide, that someone could give a normal answer. If you would make videos you would know how important  4k60 is.

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,795

Panasonic G9 for 1100 new or even cheaper used sometimes. Has a ten minute recording limit but for most applications that is sufficient. Has variable frame rate, zebras, 10 bit internal, and excellent IBIS. I don't think there is a cheaper and more capable camera out there.

-- hide signature --

My personal website: https://jpolak.org/

jozzef wrote:

JustUs7 wrote:

Dude, I did search on google, but did not find a comparison between "budget" cameras other than mixed 4k30 and 4k60, one is better. The choice cannot be so wide, that someone could give a normal answer. If you would make videos you would know how important 4k60 is.

I’m not saying anything about 4k60 or the need of whatever. I get that you need it. I get that your budget is $1,200. I’m just saying a brief search shows only one camera that fit both criteria. Others also came up with the G9. A camera that I know nothing about other than it meets your price and 4k60 requirement.  Every other option was $1,500 or more.  Nothing really to compare to.  It appears with that price and spec need, there is one option.

I did end up looking out of curiosity. Nothing in the consumer camcorder world or point and shoot realm hits that spec either.  Not for a $1,200 budget.  If that budget has to cover a lens too, then there doesn’t appear to be an option.

jozzef

What about XT-3? Does G9 make better photos?

jozzef

Is XT-3 worse or better, as it fits also my budget but no one mentioned this model?

JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,795

jozzef wrote:

What about XT-3? Does G9 make better photos?

I would say both are very capable cameras. For most types of photography, you would not have much an advantage in the stills department with one versus the other. The XT3 also has very impressive video specs. However, the main thing that would tip me towards the G9 would be the IBIS, which actually does make a huge difference in handheld shooting situations. That might not make a difference if you were using a gimbal or always shooting on a tripod. And the IBIS actually would help you with stills as well. The G9 also has 180fps (but with no sound or AF) so if you want to do 6x slow motion at 30fps that is nice.

I would say the G9 is a more capable video machine in many respects. I shoot mostly wildlife video so I am speaking from that perspective also, and there may be other situations that I don't have much experience with.

-- hide signature --

My personal website: https://jpolak.org/

jozzef wrote:

Is XT-3 worse or better, as it fits also my budget but no one mentioned this model?

Jason has you covered in differences. Just curious though, as you said your budget was $1,200, have you revised that?  Or are you considering used?  B&H has a used Fuji in stock for under $1,200. Used can be great with the right item in good condition. But the XT-3 is $1,500 new from what I’ve seen.

jozzef

ahh sorry, I live in Europe, XT-3 costs 1200 + -

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads