K3 III -- First day birding

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
breeze_of_wind
breeze_of_wind Senior Member • Posts: 1,401
K3 III -- First day birding

Weather has been poor so I have been waiting for a day to do some birding with new DSLR camera and the 150-450 Pentax lens.  That day came last Friday in Gloucester Ma along the shore and iin the marshes.  Only problem was the 30 to 50 MPH winds - I had to stand into the wind to get shots.  First comment -- AF, tracking, and keepers is a joy.  I had a good day.  I did some birds in flight ( sea gulls below) and some bird wading through the salt marshes (see Egrets below). All in all, everything I have been waiting for.  Cant wait to see all of us talking about thsi new camera -- Pentax delivered!

John Morris

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +12 more
tex Veteran Member • Posts: 8,573
Yeah, it's looking like a key purpose is being fulfilled

For many birders, this camera----considering all of its assets---looks to be a real winner. (I'm not a birder, at least not one who's going to be interested in photography of them)

Is it the best option on the market? Well, that's going to be tougher to answer. I think there may be mirrorless options that may still have the edge in AF quickness and lock-on, but it seems this new Pentax is at least in the running. So, I think now it's boiling down to OVF vs EVF for birding, and then higher iso performance.

Now Pentax is truly in the discussion, so this is a plus.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, Andrews Fine Arts LLC, museum photography and art handling contractor.

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +30 more
kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,360
Re: K3 III -- First day birding

Nice photos. Finally the autofocus seem good.

-- hide signature --

kriztian

JoeOptics314 Forum Member • Posts: 82

Thanks for sharing.  These are beautiful and make me eager to receive my new K3iii.  It has been 4 weeks since I placed my order with B&H.

-- hide signature --

David Lees

JoeOptics314's gear list:JoeOptics314's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +6 more
PentUp Senior Member • Posts: 1,904

Fantastic series John. I'm very excited about the K3mkiii

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +10 more
Valeriu 64
Valeriu 64 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938

Nice shots, John.

Thank you!

Eye detect ???

Best regards, Valeriu

Valeriu 64's gear list:Valeriu 64's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax K-3 Mark III Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +8 more
Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,438

The shots are great.

Like Joe my K3 III still shows on backorder at B&H but they did ship my 150-450mm so I'm halfway there.

Bob

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II +61 more
HawaiianOnline Regular Member • Posts: 118

Really nice shots!  The K-3 III is looking like a great improvement over my old K-5 IIs. I’ve only had a couple times to try it out for birding and the AF seems much faster and with better tracking on Tropicbirds. I’ll have to find the time to figure out the best AF settings for various birding situations including BIF.

HawaiianOnline's gear list:HawaiianOnline's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +15 more
JeremieB Contributing Member • Posts: 993

Very nice - egrets are beautiful !
150-450 is more than tempting...

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +6 more
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 2,124

Glad you are happy with the purchase.  Are you able to post any higher res files?  Zooming in on those the details are kind of lacking, but the displayed image in page looks good.  Just want to pixel peep more, lol.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax KP Canon EOS R6 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +2 more
kitsios_spyros
kitsios_spyros Senior Member • Posts: 2,809

These look really good.

The wings do not fool the af system.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Spyros

kitsios_spyros's gear list:kitsios_spyros's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Samsung NX300 Pentax K-3 Pentax KP +13 more
Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,438

Hey Joe

I just did an online chat with B&H and they said they expected the next shipment on the 10th so maybe next week.

Bob

Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II +61 more
Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,853

Mike Arledge wrote:

Glad you are happy with the purchase. Are you able to post any higher res files? Zooming in on those the details are kind of lacking, but the displayed image in page looks good. Just want to pixel peep more, lol.

My thoughts exactly. The flight shots do not look good on my monitor when using the loupe function.

breeze_of_wind
OP breeze_of_wind Senior Member • Posts: 1,401

Tom Lusk wrote:

Mike Arledge wrote:

Glad you are happy with the purchase. Are you able to post any higher res files? Zooming in on those the details are kind of lacking, but the displayed image in page looks good. Just want to pixel peep more, lol.

My thoughts exactly. The flight shots do not look good on my monitor when using the loupe function.

Hi   Remember at the time I took these pictures I was standing in a 30 to 50 steady wind on an exposed dike next to the Atlantic Ocean.  By God, did my best not to go in.  So these were keepers only in sense of examples, not the best work of the camera - lens combination.  I could have saved with more detail but I did not.  You will have to wait for next set someone else posts to make the type of assessment being suggested.

John

Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +12 more
JoeOptics314 Forum Member • Posts: 82

Rahto wrote:

Hey Joe

I just did an online chat with B&H and they said they expected the next shipment on the 10th so maybe next week.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for letting me know.  I checked last week and they told me they were expecting a shipment May 3.  So Perhaps they are getting weekly shipments and shipping by date of order placement.  No way to know where my April 8 preorder stands.  I will hope for next Monday.

-- hide signature --

David Lees

JoeOptics314's gear list:JoeOptics314's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +6 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,952

Looking good John - sure is windy.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +14 more
breeze_of_wind

ozdean wrote:

Looking good John - sure is windy.

Yes - Egret had to fight the wind to stay straight.  Many images leaning to side with neck blown over.  But it also meant  good number of image with wings extended -- presumably to stay balanced.  You take the good with the bad.

All in all a fun day.

John

mbike999
mbike999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,079

Nice photos. If I wasn't entrenched in other systems, this new Pentax K seems like it would be a lovely camera to use.

-- hide signature --
breeze_of_wind

mbike999 wrote:

Nice photos. If I wasn't entrenched in other systems, this new Pentax K seems like it would be a lovely camera to use.

Those with Pentax gear may have  winner -- at least I am O so far.  Also attractive to those looking around, starting, willing to shift.  But there will be many like yourself and that makes great sense.  For all of us, one more option is a good thing, and interesting that a number of folks who have ordered the camera also ordered a new lens -- me included.

John

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 41,063

Nice shooting

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads