LR Tips for GFX Files

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Rob de Loe
Rob de Loe Senior Member • Posts: 1,300
Re: LR Tips for GFX Files

I appreciate the flexibility of Lightroom, which allows people to work in ways that work well for them (one catalogue or many, folders or not folders, collections, etc.)

I have multiple catalogues, but based on similar kinds of work rather than shoots. For example, I have "Art-work" and I have "Home" because I don't want to mix those images together.

All my "art work" is in "Art-work", and all the source files are in one folder (P:\Art-work\Source). Lightroom is a decent database, so it can handle hundreds of thousands of images without a hiccup. Backup is also easier to keep track of this way.

Organizing this way lets me take advantage of Collections, Smart Collections, Keywords, Flags, Labels and Stars to sort and categorize. I like to automate the organization as much as possible, and LR makes that easy. When I find myself setting up a search manually on a regular basis, I create a smart collection to automate the search.

bobby350z Regular Member • Posts: 185

Use CaptureOne.:)

matteroner
matteroner Senior Member • Posts: 1,183

bobby350z wrote:

Use CaptureOne.:)

I like capture one, but it's a totally different workflow to achieve similar results. With every iteration of capture one I try it, but I just can't buy into it.

matteroner's gear list:matteroner's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +11 more
matteroner
matteroner Senior Member • Posts: 1,183

Rob de Loe wrote:

I appreciate the flexibility of Lightroom, which allows people to work in ways that work well for them (one catalogue or many, folders or not folders, collections, etc.)

I have multiple catalogues, but based on similar kinds of work rather than shoots. For example, I have "Art-work" and I have "Home" because I don't want to mix those images together.

All my "art work" is in "Art-work", and all the source files are in one folder (P:\Art-work\Source). Lightroom is a decent database, so it can handle hundreds of thousands of images without a hiccup. Backup is also easier to keep track of this way.

Organizing this way lets me take advantage of Collections, Smart Collections, Keywords, Flags, Labels and Stars to sort and categorize. I like to automate the organization as much as possible, and LR makes that easy. When I find myself setting up a search manually on a regular basis, I create a smart collection to automate the search.

QC folder.  You're my hero 😆

matteroner's gear list:matteroner's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D +11 more
Greg7579
OP Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041

C1 sux because I've never used it.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
fcracer Senior Member • Posts: 1,489

Greg7579 wrote:

What are your favorite tips?

1. Switch to Capture One Pro ☺️
2. Get an M1 Mac computer 
3. Get as much RAM as you can
4. Export (with sharpening) for the purpose (I.e, 2048px for Facebook and IG)

-- hide signature --
 fcracer's gear list:fcracer's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-T4 +16 more
Greg7579
OP Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,041

fcracer wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

I agree with number 3 but the rest?  No way Jose.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 34,895

fcracer wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

What's the max amount of RAM available on a currently shipping M1 computer?

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
bobby350z Regular Member • Posts: 185

I was like that and then one day I stopped using LR and only used C1. Took 2-3 weeks and now I can't go back. I must say I am not into PS much so for that reasonC1 is enough for my needs. And I shoot tethered for some shots where C1 rules.

fcracer Senior Member • Posts: 1,489

JimKasson wrote:

fcracer wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Current max is 16GB, but the system seems to use the RAM more efficiently than the number would imply. The only place I see slowdowns related to RAM is when combining large panorama files.

For your pro computer needs, if you’re thinking of trying MAC, waiting for the M2 would be prudent as it is expected to have more CPU and GPU cores, more ports and higher max RAM capacity.

-- hide signature --
 fcracer's gear list:fcracer's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-T4 +16 more
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 34,895

fcracer wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

fcracer wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

Current max is 16GB, but the system seems to use the RAM more efficiently than the number would imply. The only place I see slowdowns related to RAM is when combining large panorama files.

For your pro computer needs, if you’re thinking of trying MAC, waiting for the M2 would be prudent as it is expected to have more CPU and GPU cores, more ports and higher max RAM capacity.

I’ve had Macs for 30 years, but I don’t use them much because I can’t seem to get the configurations I need and they won’t do on-site service. I keep hoping that will change.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads