Advise for workflow from raw

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Peace_VN
Peace_VN Regular Member • Posts: 170
Advise for workflow from raw

Dear

Im doing photography for hobby so i m not under time or project pressure.

I currently use lightroom but trying capture 1.

I see lots of software around.

And got confused. Dxo raw, dox photo?? And then some AI deep noise?

Can i ask how do you develop your raw file, edit colour and fix basics things

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,580
Re: Advise for workflow from raw

Peace_VN wrote:

Dear

Im doing photography for hobby so i m not under time or project pressure.

I currently use lightroom but trying capture 1.

I see lots of software around.

And got confused. Dxo raw, dox photo?? And then some AI deep noise?

Can i ask how do you develop your raw file, edit colour and fix basics things

Just keep using LR and come back in a year, I think you are worrying over nothing at this stage. 😀

Ian

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,655

Even though I shoot with small sensors, NR and lens corrections just are not a big deal for me.  So I almost always stay in one editor instead of piping the image through a chain.

Color to me means tweaking the WB, I'm not creative with color.

Fixing things is the tricky bit.  Lots of tools can go into that.

If a particular image is giving you problems, post it on this forum for ideas for that one image.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,791

Agreed.  You don't need BOTH Lightroom and CaptureOne, both are good enough by themselves to do excellent work.

Raw development is mature technology.  About ANY raw developer can do excellent work.  Now some do better at some things, while others do better at others.  But if you're a newbie, just pick one and learn to use it.  Lr is fine.  In a year or a year and a half, you will know what it is you like and dislike about your existing software.  THAT is the time to worry about software, and 'workflow'

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Peace_VN
OP Peace_VN Regular Member • Posts: 170

Dear all,

Last question, how about the result from the software compared? DxO PhotoLab may have an advantage ? or not?

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,719

Peace_VN wrote:

Dear all,

Last question, how about the result from the software compared? DxO PhotoLab may have an advantage ? or not?

I dont think a significant advantage for you (I have both Lightroom and PhotoLab 4)

One big difference between the two is that Lightroom also has "Digital Asset Management" based around it's Library module, PL doesn't have anything comparable

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,789

RPeace_VN wrote:

Dear all,

Last question, how about the result from the software compared? DxO PhotoLab may have an advantage ? or not?

IMHO, Photolab has an advantage if you have a low light raw file with too much noise. Otherwise concentrate on the overall image and get used to a more comprehensive raw developer and editor. DxO does too much automatically, so it doesn’t help you learn.

maggiemole's gear list:maggiemole's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
CrisL Contributing Member • Posts: 932

Peace_VN wrote:

Dear all,

If noise is a concern for you try dxo pl4 deepprime nr mode to judge by yourself

CrisL's gear list:CrisL's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +5 more
Peace_VN
OP Peace_VN Regular Member • Posts: 170

davidedric wrote:

Peace_VN wrote:

Dear all,

I dont think a significant advantage for you (I have both Lightroom and PhotoLab 4)

One big difference between the two is that Lightroom also has "Digital Asset Management" based around it's Library module, PL doesn't have anything comparable

Hi. Thanks. How about captureone? I trying capture one and it seems a bit nicer (maybe i just put a different setting..) than LR?

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,671

Peace_VN wrote:

davidedric wrote:

Peace_VN wrote:

Dear all,

Hi. Thanks. How about captureone? I trying capture one and it seems a bit nicer (maybe i just put a different setting..) than LR?

All the photo editing programs will do the job. Only you can try them each and decide what is best for you. Again, they are all good.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,519

Peace_VN wrote:

The big picture: some people prefer Capture One; some people prefer DxO; some people prefer Lightroom Classic; some people prefer other software.

Unless you can articulate a specific need (like noise reduction in low-light photography, or built in DAM), they will all do an excellent job, and you should try the free trials and see what you like and pick one. There is no right answer. They all have advantages and disadvantages. There will be no agreement between the people who post here about which one is best.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,719

Peace_VN wrote:

davidedric wrote:

Peace_VN wrote:

Dear all,

It's taken me many,many hours spread over years to get to a reasonable level with Lightroom.  I expect it would be the same with other products.

As others have said, pick the one that you like and dive into it, unless there are specific features that are important to you.  (As an example, if you print your own pictures then Lightroom's Print module is excellent.  If you don't, it has no value at all.)

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads