In case you missed yours ...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,863
In case you missed yours ...

Interesting MP number!

As we say in England ... "cheap at half the price" ...

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone's gotta do it ...

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 22,755
Re: In case you missed yours ...

xpatUSA wrote:

Interesting MP number!

As we say in England ... "cheap at half the price" ...

Perhaps I should try putting mine up for sale at half that price?

-- hide signature --
wood_gnome
wood_gnome Regular Member • Posts: 134

Well, finally!

Nice to read that the A.Team is working hard on the aquision of some fresh SD9!

wood_gnome's gear list:wood_gnome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1s Sigma DP1x Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2x +5 more
wood_gnome
wood_gnome Regular Member • Posts: 134

Regarding the pixel count "3.54 MPix": This one is interesting! Somewhere I have read this before in the past. Don't remember where. Maybe it was Amazon? And yes, a short search with one of the most wellknown internet search engines finds 2310 results for the phrase

foveon "3.54" megapixel

As a theory, this number might be even the real pixel count for the SD9/SD10 sensors, a number which at some point in the past might have been leaked through from Foveon Inc..

But why 3.54 MPix, if the RAW camera output is 2268 x 1512 pixels, which calculates to 3.42916 MPix?

=> Every image sensor must be a little bit larger than what is finally shown in the output data. In the mathematical developing process of any RAW photosensor data there are always some calculations, which merge values from neighbour pixels into the calculated result.  So You always urgently need at least several rows of neighbouring pixels to calculate the value for one pixel. Also at the very edges of the sensors "final field of view".  Sticking with Foveon architecture, I think SPP urgently needs the neighbour pixel data values least for two things: the calculation of the "sharpness" (okay this one is obvious), and even more important and I suppose that a much larger area of neighbors might be needed for the "fill light" calculation.

So I do not have any information, how far these 3.54 MPix are a correct value. But anyway it sounds quite reasonable, if the camera is meant to put out "RAW" at 3.4MPix.

Every additional info highly welcome!

Greetings!

wood_gnome's gear list:wood_gnome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1s Sigma DP1x Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2x +5 more
bizi clop
bizi clop Contributing Member • Posts: 539

wood_gnome wrote:

foveon "3.54" megapixel

As a theory, this number might be even the real pixel count for the SD9/SD10 sensors, a number which at some point in the past might have been leaked through from Foveon Inc..

But why 3.54 MPix, if the RAW camera output is 2268 x 1512 pixels, which calculates to 3.42916 MPix?

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/sd9/ says:

Pixels

Total:10.62 Million Pixels (3.54 Million × 3 Layers)

Effective: 10.29 Million Pixels (3.43 Million × 3 Layers)

bizi clop's gear list:bizi clop's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads