Just curious

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
seragram Regular Member • Posts: 233
Just curious

If you were in the market to buy Canon mirrorless now for events and portraits witch would you buy EOS R6 or EOS R?

seragram's gear list:seragram's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R5 (old) Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,204
Re: Just curious

seragram wrote:

If you were in the market to buy Canon mirrorless now for events and portraits witch would you buy EOS R6 or EOS R?

The AF module (system) on the R6 and R5 are somewhat more advanced than the one in the EOS R.  But the R is still very good, it just doesn't recognize/track eyes quite as well (especially on non-human subjects).  Since you mentioned shooting at events and also portraits, the R6 has an advantage with high speed shooting and with low-light performance for portrait photography.
The Canon EOS R has -3EV lowlight AF capability but the EOS R6 has -6.5EV, which is considerably more sensitive for lowlight environments.  I would certainly trust the EOS R to hold its own (-3EV is still impressive) but you do get some advantages with the R6 for the two types of subject matter you mentioned.
Finally, the R6 has excellent high-ISO performance.  This is helpful for concert photography, events and portraits with low light.   Note that the R6 sensor can potentially produce noise at ISO 100 in the shadows (visible only when shadows are lifted) but produces less noise with higher ISO settings than other cameras.
The EOS R was designed as a professional-use camera when released.  It was fully featured to lure more pro photographers over to the R-system and is therefore more than capable of both of the subjects you mention.  It has a higher megapixel count and handles well.  Both cameras would be suitable although testing alongside the R6 gives the newer camera some significant benefits with AF an tracking human or animal eyes, even at a distance.  A quick look online should be able to demonstrate superb results from both cameras.  Since the R has been out a little longer than the R6, you ought to be able to source plenty of results from that model by professionals.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,482

seragram wrote:

R6.  Purely because of the better AF, which for portraits might not be such a big deal, but fast paced events it might well.

-- hide signature --

Gilmour

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,052

seragram wrote:

Depends on budget.  R can be had new for $1,800 or used/refurbed for a couple hundred less.  The R6 on the other hand is going for $2,500 new.  Forgetting the mp count for now, by all accounts the R6 is a much better camera.  I was actually waffling between the RP and R, but a recent opportunity afforded me a bit more money to work with so I went with the R and RF 24-105 f/4.  I didn't get a chance to try either one but relied on user feedback & reviews.  If you'll be doing a lot of cropping then maybe the R is better.  For landscapes/portraits I tend not to crop a lot so the R6 was fine for me, and all the improvements made it seem like a better choice for my needs.  I'm holding on to my 7D II for birding and such.

Mark

JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,356

Marco Nero wrote:

seragram wrote:

The Canon EOS R has -3EV lowlight AF capability but the EOS R6 has -6.5EV, which is considerably more sensitive for lowlight environments. I would certainly trust the EOS R to hold its own (-3EV is still impressive) but you do get some advantages with the R6 for the two types of subject matter you mentioned.

Per Canon, the EOS RP focuses as low as -5EV low light, the R is -6 EV in low light (on par with the R5), and the R6 is -6.5 EV low light. A lot closer than one might think.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
Kumsa
Kumsa Contributing Member • Posts: 740

I went through the same torturous analysis. The R is "best value" for the dollar (the sensor is the same as the currently more expensive 5DMkIV). The R6 is more mature as a MILC, better focus, etc. I love my R. It's an upgrade from the 6D, so I really appreciate what the R offers (I especially like the 30mp size). When Canon has an R-series release that is 30mp with a global, electronic, shutter, then that'll be my next camera.

Kumsa's gear list:Kumsa's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +10 more
shadowlands
shadowlands Senior Member • Posts: 1,214

I went for the "R" based on economics. I'm very happy with my choice.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R
Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
Canon RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM
Canon Speedlite EL-100
DJI Mavic Mini & GoPro Hero 8 Black
https://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenwb/

shadowlands's gear list:shadowlands's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR +1 more
OP seragram Regular Member • Posts: 233

Thanks to all for reply. I went with the R. Just think it is the best value for my money.

seragram's gear list:seragram's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R5 (old) Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +1 more
Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

seragram wrote:

Thanks to all for reply. I went with the R. Just think it is the best value for my money.

I got the EOS R also recently, i had also doubts between the R and R6. My doubts where also the lack of IBIS in the R. I solved that with the 35 IS for wider shots and the 85 IS or my EF 70-200 2.8 II IS for portraits.

Money and the included EF adapter did me decide for the R, no regrets so far. Have fun with your new gear.

-- hide signature --

Bye4now

shadowlands
shadowlands Senior Member • Posts: 1,214

Richard Smals wrote:

seragram wrote:

I got the EOS R also recently, i had also doubts between the R and R6. My doubts where also the lack of IBIS in the R. I solved that with the 35 IS for wider shots and the 85 IS or my EF 70-200 2.8 II IS for portraits.

Money and the included EF adapter did me decide for the R, no regrets so far. Have fun with your new gear.

I love my R! I came from a Z5 with IBIS. IBIS is awesome, of course, but I don't miss it with my R. My 24-105 has IS.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS R
Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
Canon RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM
Canon Speedlite EL-100
DJI Mavic Mini & GoPro Hero 8 Black
https://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenwb/

shadowlands's gear list:shadowlands's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads