SIGMA DOCK - WORTH THE MONEY ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
jeffon
jeffon Junior Member • Posts: 31
SIGMA DOCK - WORTH THE MONEY ?

I have a Sigma Dock in the post, as having read that the 150-600c DG OS HSM mostly needs fine tuning, i thought it a wise purchase for setting focus accuracy.

I did some focus tests at short FL, 150mm etc, which can be done in my home, but the advice that i read was that at 600mm, i would need to do a 90 feet test. 600mm would be the FL i would be using most, so i did some test shots and used a laser calculator for distance reading, but as it happened, the most contrasty subject i could find was a car reg. plate at 116 feet distance.

The photos are are both cropped .... 100% and then 150%. Both seem acceptable in sharpess, especially the smallest printed text on the car reg. plate.

Would anyone make an adjustment to the lens or leave as it is ? If leaving as it is, i next need to figure out which other settings i could use. Has anyone set up custom settings on the Sigma, other than fousing accuracy ?

PS camera is Nikon D810, ISO 800, F6.3, 1/2500th , Highlighted meter, spot focus, tripod, OS off.

-- hide signature --

Pete

jeffon's gear list:jeffon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +3 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jbear Contributing Member • Posts: 816
Re: SIGMA DOCK - WORTH THE MONEY ?

To me it is worth it, but I'm using it for a 500 f4 OS Sport.  I can focus adjust in-camera (and I do because I need different settings for a D500 and a D850), but what I do value is the ability to alter AF behavior and OS behavior.  This performs much better with those tweaks (for my application).  I can't say whether your lens allows that or if it does...if that's worth it to you.  That's my take.

jbear's gear list:jbear's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +39 more
jeffon
OP jeffon Junior Member • Posts: 31

Thanks jbear.  I'm not sure at this point what settings i can change on the Contemporary. The focus accuracy seems fine to me, so its other settings i'll be messing with

-- hide signature --

Pete

Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +3 more
dcc2020
dcc2020 Forum Member • Posts: 97

I think it’s worth it. I bought a Sigma 24mm 1.4 which needed some focus adjustment. Now it is tack on sharp on every distance. I also have the Tamron dock and there as well calibration helps.

in addition I am a Nikon shooter and if I ever move to mirror less I think they also will come in handy

Alain

dcc2020's gear list:dcc2020's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +9 more
jeffon

I wont be messing with AF fine tuning, as i believe i have been lucky enough with that already, judging by the sharpness of  the above test photos at 116 ft / 600mm.

I need to read up about what other things the dock can do when it arrives in a day or so.

Pete

X Ray
X Ray Regular Member • Posts: 210

Not even a question....for less than 50 bucks, I highly recommend it. Even if you only have one Sigma lens.

X Ray's gear list:X Ray's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM
Kokopelli_Rocks
Kokopelli_Rocks Senior Member • Posts: 2,626
Free at B&H with some lenses

I just purchased a 150-600 C for Canon and B&H included the USB dock and a Sigma protective filter for free. I was going to buy it anyway but free is great. Tried it out today to make sure the latest firmware was installed (it was). Just looked at the other options.  Interesting.

Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list:Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony RX100 III +21 more
jeffon
Re: Free at B&H with some lenses

I think the deal i got on the 150-600c , which was the cheapest in the UK, meant that i had to purchase the dock seperately, but the total was still a good price

-- hide signature --

Pete

pajarrett Contributing Member • Posts: 542
WORTH THE MONEY ? Yes!

To answer your question, yes it is worth it.  I purchased the Sigma 24-70 2.8 Art and during my evaluation of the lens found it to be blurry across the lens at below f 4.  Before I boxed it up and sent it back, I hooked it up to the doc and adjusted the focus.  What a difference.  It when from a ugg lens to a wow lens.

-- hide signature --
 pajarrett's gear list:pajarrett's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
cnyphotoguy Regular Member • Posts: 422

I bought a sigma dock from KEH after having my 150-600C for a while.  I completed a needed firmware update that impacted my camera, and some AF tweaks.  IMO the results were worth the cost of the dock even if just for the custom button configuration.

cnyphotoguy's gear list:cnyphotoguy's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS 90D Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +8 more
X Ray
X Ray Regular Member • Posts: 210

A little clarity as to why the Sigma dock is a must have, especially for Nikon shooters. This all probably closely parallels the situation between Canon and Sigma as well, so Canon shooters, you also need the dock.

With the old Art lenses being equally as good as the new, greatly improved Z mount lenses, while at the same time having f1.4 light gathering ability as apposed to f1.8 of most Z primes, and with the newer Art 40 and Art 105 being optically superior to all Nikon lenses, Z or F mount (with exception of Nikon super telephotos, which Sigma has an equally amazing 500 f4 sport), there are now very compelling reasons to use Sigma lenses over Nikon. That being the current situation, and with Nikon's already extreme financial troubles, make no mistake, Sigma is a major thorn in Nikon's side. Nikon caught a short term break with all of Sigma's resources being tied up designing native lenses for Sony and Leica. Sigma can't focus on Z mount lenses....yet.

With that said, you can be assured that Nikon will do their best to sabotage Sigma's lens compatibility with Nikon cameras through firmware updates. But it's not some strategic secret. The new generation of leadership at Sigma is very well aware of this, the main reason they introduced the dock almost a decade ago. So any incompatibility issues that do arise will only be temporary.

So yeah, moving forward, the Sigma dock is a requirement for Sigma lens owners. Nikon isn't interested in making lenses superior to Sigmas at better prices. They can't. Their only path forward is to give the impression that superior (while also being less expensive) lenses won't work on their cameras.

Here come the Sigma lens haters (Nikon stock holders) in 3.. 2.. 1..

-- hide signature --

"Unfortunately, some folks that know a lot about photography pretend that makes them knowledgeable about optical physics."
-R.C.

X Ray's gear list:X Ray's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads