This month with your Nikon 1 - May 2021

Started May 3, 2021 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 456
This month with your Nikon 1 - May 2021

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2021: April - March - Feb - Jan

2020: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2019: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

-- hide signature --

WSSA Member #454 - Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
MoJohn Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - May 2021

Lighthouse eclipse of the sun . .

Joel SG Regular Member • Posts: 139
Common myna or Indian myna (Acridotheres tristis) raining

iserp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Bee and Lavender

I have some lavender in my balcony and often bees come and go for its nectar. With a bit of patience a I got his photo of a bee before landing.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: Bee and Lavender

lovely - a great shot

richard

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,303
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - May 2021

MoJohn wrote:

Lighthouse eclipse of the sun . .

This is a very nice picture. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
Blue skimmer - Orthetrum glaucum

Blue skimmer - Orthetrum glaucum.jpg

Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 2,058
Re: Blue skimmer - Orthetrum glaucum

Beautiful, and when viewed at full size sharp as a tack.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Miss tilly wrote:

Beautiful, and when viewed at full size sharp as a tack.

Thanks Gary! Yeah this len is sharp,  but it is also plagued with purple fringing in certain conditions, the burst from V2 helps to better nail shots.

RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,463

Very nice shot of the skimmer. What 100/2.8D lens is this?

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

RichDitch wrote:

Very nice shot of the skimmer. What 100/2.8D lens is this?

Thank you! is a old Tokina AT-X PRO 100mm F2.8 D Macro

here's another pic taken with the same setup

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,096
Derek the pug

getting a big boy now

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 2,058
Re: Derek the pug

He is adorable!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,096
Re: Derek the pug

Miss tilly wrote:

He is adorable!

when he's not trouble 

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 19,384
looking back, kind of surprised how good these were

I'm working on a project that involves going through 12 years of shots of the (formerly) empty lot next door, and I have a number of V1 and V2 shots that still hold up well.   At the time I was shooting a 12mp D700 (overall), a 12mp D300 (wildlife) and the 10/14mp V1/V2.

The V1/V2 was used with a 300F4, and sometimes a 300F4 + 1.4TC (1134mm equivalent crop).

With good lighting (something we have a lot of in Phoenix), and a tripod, I was able to capture some really nice Great Horned Owl images (and some videos).

One from the V2.   Soon after I got the V2 I got a D800e and started getting away from Series 1.   The user interface just wore me down, and the D800e had enough pixels that it was easier to use the DLSR and crop heavily - got shots I'd otherwise miss.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more
RichDitch
Re: looking back, kind of surprised how good these were

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I'm working on a project that involves going through 12 years of shots of the (formerly) empty lot next door, and I have a number of V1 and V2 shots that still hold up well. At the time I was shooting a 12mp D700 (overall), a 12mp D300 (wildlife) and the 10/14mp V1/V2.

The V1/V2 was used with a 300F4, and sometimes a 300F4 + 1.4TC (1134mm equivalent crop).

With good lighting (something we have a lot of in Phoenix), and a tripod, I was able to capture some really nice Great Horned Owl images (and some videos).

One from the V2. Soon after I got the V2 I got a D800e and started getting away from Series 1. The user interface just wore me down, and the D800e had enough pixels that it was easier to use the DLSR and crop heavily - got shots I'd otherwise miss.

This is a terrific set of images and I'm glad you posted them. I've been living in Phoenix since June of 1994 and I wonder if we've ever crossed paths somewhere along the line.

I've taken a reverse path to you it seems. I'd been with DX gear (D70, D200, D300, and now D700 and D7200), but fell in love with the N1 cameras and lenses when I finally picked got a J1 and 10-30 off CraigsList 3 years ago. Now I do all my bird work with a V2 or V3, the CX 70-300 or an FX 300/4 with the TC14E.

Rich Ditch

Phoenix, AZ

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

Andy1712 Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: looking back, kind of surprised how good these were

The young owl on the ground has just become one of my all time favorite shots.

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 19,384
why I quit using v-series

Back when I was shooting 12mp DSLR's, the CX cameras made a lot of sense to me. Pixel density gave me better reach then the D300, though in some ways it was close.

(Here is a little test I did comparing the same shot taken with the same lens from the same spot of the same subject with CX, DX and FX cameras. First uncropped, then cropped to same field of view so you can see the effects of pixel density.)

https://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/v1/index.html

There were two big issues shooting the V1, then V2. The first was user interface. Nikon really crippled the cameras there. The V2 in particular due to the on-off switch being exactly where all my Canon point-n-shoots have their zoom control. I never did really get used to that, and I often turned the camera off accidentally with muscle memory trying to zoom in on something.

But in the end it was the limits of the sensor's dynamic range. I bought a D800e, and while the frame rate was atrocious, everything else was wonderful. The pixel density wasn't as tight as the V2, but the user interface was so much easier to work with in the field that I gradually started just cropping the D800e shots a lot. After all, a cropped shot of a bird in flight and in focus is better than the one you missed because the camera's user interface was fighting you.

Then I took a Mediterranean cruise in 2013, and I had a backpack of cameras and lenses, plus my trusty waist bag for shore excursions. The combo worked really well. I carried the D800e with 16-35, 24-70 and 80-400g, plus a V2 with 10-100. Brought the SB-N5 tiny flash and the 8.6-13mm zoom for indoor cathedrals and the like. If I had the 80-400g mounted on the D800e, I could zoom the 10-100 to the wide end and capture wider shots without having to swap lenses on the DSLR. If I had the 16-35 mounted, I could zoom the 10-100 to 100mm to capture distant subjects.

But in the Mediterranean, you get a lot of white marble buildings and bright sun. The dynamic range is extreme, but the D800e could handle it. I just pulled down highlights in Lightroom and was good to go. But with the V2, I couldn't do that. The highlights were basically blown and there wasn't anything to work with in terms of dynamic range.

Here is an example: https://www.cjcphoto.net/medtrip2013/highlights/images/page115.html

I gradually just stopped using the V cameras.   DSLR was easier to use in the field.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more
RichDitch
Re: why I quit using v-series

Craig:

Thanks for the response. The links are appreciated, although I had already viewed the crop/comparison tests as well as a lot of the other AZ material on your web site. Let me say again how nice your work is.

I agree that the UI on the N1 bodies isn't nearly as good as it could be, but the V2 and V3 are much better than the V1. I've never used any Canon gear so I can't say anything relevant, but I do know that switching between cameras even from the same manufacturer can cause frustration so going between manufacturers must be worse.

I recognize the benefits fo better sensors and larger formats in terms of noise, dynamic range, and overall image quality. Even after acquiring an extensive N1 system I've not dumped my DX bodies or DX and FX lenses as I like the IQ potential they hold.

For me the choice of CX vs DX comes down to convenience and portability over ultimate image quality. If I still had the mobility I had even 10 years ago I'd still be out every morning with my DX bird rig - formerly a D200 or D300 with a 300/2.8 AF-S lens and TC20E converter on a big Gitzo with gimbal head, or the updated D7200 with AF-S 200-500/5.6 on a lighter tripod with RRS BH-55. But I can't do that. So now when I'm out for a shorter walk than I used to manage it is with V3 and a CX 70-300 without any tripod. But if I was headed back to Bosque del Apache to spend a few days driving around the loop circuit I'd use that D7220 with 200-500 on a window bean bag, and the 300/4D for hand held flight shots from beside the car.

I don't know whether you shot raw or jpeg, but I've been pleased with how much quality I can get out of an N1 raw file using Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop, especially now that I've added PhotoLab Deep Prime from DxO.

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Back when I was shooting 12mp DSLR's, the CX cameras made a lot of sense to me. Pixel density gave me better reach then the D300, though in some ways it was close.

(Here is a little test I did comparing the same shot taken with the same lens from the same spot of the same subject with CX, DX and FX cameras. First uncropped, then cropped to same field of view so you can see the effects of pixel density.)

https://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/v1/index.html

There were two big issues shooting the V1, then V2. The first was user interface. Nikon really crippled the cameras there. The V2 in particular due to the on-off switch being exactly where all my Canon point-n-shoots have their zoom control. I never did really get used to that, and I often turned the camera off accidentally with muscle memory trying to zoom in on something.

But in the end it was the limits of the sensor's dynamic range. I bought a D800e, and while the frame rate was atrocious, everything else was wonderful. The pixel density wasn't as tight as the V2, but the user interface was so much easier to work with in the field that I gradually started just cropping the D800e shots a lot. After all, a cropped shot of a bird in flight and in focus is better than the one you missed because the camera's user interface was fighting you.

Then I took a Mediterranean cruise in 2013, and I had a backpack of cameras and lenses, plus my trusty waist bag for shore excursions. The combo worked really well. I carried the D800e with 16-35, 24-70 and 80-400g, plus a V2 with 10-100. Brought the SB-N5 tiny flash and the 8.6-13mm zoom for indoor cathedrals and the like. If I had the 80-400g mounted on the D800e, I could zoom the 10-100 to the wide end and capture wider shots without having to swap lenses on the DSLR. If I had the 16-35 mounted, I could zoom the 10-100 to 100mm to capture distant subjects.

But in the Mediterranean, you get a lot of white marble buildings and bright sun. The dynamic range is extreme, but the D800e could handle it. I just pulled down highlights in Lightroom and was good to go. But with the V2, I couldn't do that. The highlights were basically blown and there wasn't anything to work with in terms of dynamic range.

Here is an example: https://www.cjcphoto.net/medtrip2013/highlights/images/page115.html

I gradually just stopped using the V cameras. DSLR was easier to use in the field.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #449

Liller Junior Member • Posts: 36
Why I still use v-series

I still find it useful and fun to use the N1 series cameras. Here is an example from my light-weight and convenient combo: Nikon 1 V3 with the Nikkor 300/4 E PF (handheld):

Red squirrel

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads