The new Nikon world

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Ricardo00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
The new Nikon world

Have a Nikon TC-14Eiii which is working erratically.  This previously happened and sent it into Nikon to fix (about 4 years ago) and the repair cost $200 plus took quite a while.  So thought instead I would just buy a new one this time.  Went to order it and found they are back-ordered everywhere!  However all the stores have in stock the Nikon Z TC1.4, presumably since Nikon has switched to manufacturing these even though there is only one Z lens that uses it whereas there are many F mount telephotos out there that require the old TC.  And even if one had a mirrorless Nikon camera one couldn't use the Nikon Z TC1.4 with these other telephotos.  Seems to me that Nikon is making it very difficult to stay with Nikon.

Ricardo00's gear list:Ricardo00's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
JeffryZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,482
Re: The new Nikon world

Production and distribution problems related to Coronovirus have made many imported items of all sorts difficult to get ahold of these days.

-- hide signature --

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/galleries

JeffryZ's gear list:JeffryZ's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +5 more
twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,888

JeffryZ wrote:

Production and distribution problems related to Coronovirus have made many imported items of all sorts difficult to get ahold of these days.

Yep completely agree.  Everyone needs to be more patient until this plays out and production and distribution can start to return to the normality we once all enjoyed.

dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,616

One of your options is to have the TC 1.4iii repaired. I'd suggest calling Nikon and asking them what the lead time on repairs for that is. I don't own one but I assume it has no moving parts, only electronics, so I can't imagine what could go wrong with them?

-- hide signature --

Dave - Be safe. Stay Healthy.

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
OP Ricardo00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

JeffryZ wrote:

Yep but as I mentioned, lots of Nikon Z TC-14 available.  So Nikon's resources may have been switched to making the Z teleconverters.

Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
lightandaprayer Veteran Member • Posts: 4,639

Another option is to try an alternative repair center.  Authorized Photo Service usually has much faster turnaround times than Nikon.  APS has been discussed many times on this forum so doing a search will turn up more info regarding the quality of its service.

dave gaines wrote:

One of your options is to have the TC 1.4iii repaired. I'd suggest calling Nikon and asking them what the lead time on repairs for that is. I don't own one but I assume it has no moving parts, only electronics, so I can't imagine what could go wrong with them?

Yep, however as mentioned above, this same TC was repaired 4 years ago at a cost of $200 for exactly the same problem.  So put in an order for a new one, will see how long it takes.  In the meantime I have borrowed from a friend a Kenko Teleplus HD pro 1.4 teleconverter that seems to work fine though not sure if it is as sharp as my Nikon.

Pinnacle Photo
Pinnacle Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 622

KEH has one in EX, in my experience with them will be in great shape.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-autofocus-tc-14eiii-nikon-af-i-af-s.html

Pinnacle Photo's gear list:Pinnacle Photo's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +10 more
CptAmerica
CptAmerica Senior Member • Posts: 1,799

Ricardo00 wrote:

Have a Nikon TC-14Eiii which is working erratically. This previously happened and sent it into Nikon to fix (about 4 years ago) and the repair cost $200 plus took quite a while. So thought instead I would just buy a new one this time. Went to order it and found they are back-ordered everywhere! However all the stores have in stock the Nikon Z TC1.4, presumably since Nikon has switched to manufacturing these even though there is only one Z lens that uses it whereas there are many F mount telephotos out there that require the old TC. And even if one had a mirrorless Nikon camera one couldn't use the Nikon Z TC1.4 with these other telephotos. Seems to me that Nikon is making it very difficult to stay with Nikon.

You should have seen how hard it was to get a basic BMX style bicycle to ride around with my 5 year old last year.

CptAmerica's gear list:CptAmerica's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more

Pinnacle Photo wrote:

KEH has one in EX, in my experience with them will be in great shape.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-autofocus-tc-14eiii-nikon-af-i-af-s.html

Wow thanks, thought I looked but didn't see it!

lightandaprayer wrote:

Another option is to try an alternative repair center. Authorized Photo Service usually has much faster turnaround times than Nikon. APS has been discussed many times on this forum so doing a search will turn up more info regarding the quality of its service.

Thanks for posting and your suggestion.  Have been thinking of that as well.  May give them a try.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads