How is AF between KP - K3.3 - K3.2 - K70

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
How is AF between KP - K3.3 - K3.2 - K70

Hello,

The reason i left Pentax was purely because of the Savox AF, i still have the K20D / K-01 / Q. I still have a lot of primes: 15 Lim | 21 Lim | 35 macro | 43 Lim | 55* | 77 Lim | 100 macro | Sigma 180 Macro. And some manual focus legacy glass. I used to have a K7, K5 Kx, K-M but i sold them all.

I use Pentax seldom but when i do i enjoy it but mostly manual focus with no time pressure. (For clients i use only my canon gear). The Savox AF is precise enough but hunts a lot, and especially with portrait aka people very frustrating.

The K3.3 has me intrigued though, but the question is: Can the latest iteration of Savox AF (version 13 i believe) accurate focus instantly on low contrast in motion faces?

I never had problems with stationery toy like figurines or derivatives there from, like you see on youtube, to show AF performance.

Are there K3.3 users to already have experience with portrait work, as in speedy AF/Accurate AF? Like real good eye focus, fast..consistent and predictable, even if it's only with the center point and recompose.

How is the KP, K70 or K3 in portrait AF?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Bye4now

Pentax K-01 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-70 Pentax K-m (K2000) Pentax KP Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,567
Re: How is AF between KP - K3.3 - K3.2 - K70

Richard Smals wrote:

Hello,

The reason i left Pentax was purely because of the Savox AF, i still have the K20D / K-01 / Q. I still have a lot of primes: 15 Lim | 21 Lim | 35 macro | 43 Lim | 55* | 77 Lim | 100 macro | Sigma 180 Macro. And some manual focus legacy glass. I used to have a K7, K5 Kx, K-M but i sold them all.

I use Pentax seldom but when i do i enjoy it but mostly manual focus with no time pressure. (For clients i use only my canon gear). The Savox AF is precise enough but hunts a lot, and especially with portrait aka people very frustrating.

The K3.3 has me intrigued though, but the question is: Can the latest iteration of Savox AF (version 13 i believe) accurate focus instantly on low contrast in motion faces?

I never had problems with stationery toy like figurines or derivatives there from, like you see on youtube, to show AF performance.

Are there K3.3 users to already have experience with portrait work, as in speedy AF/Accurate AF? Like real good eye focus, fast..consistent and predictable, even if it's only with the center point and recompose.

Thanks.

I've heard of the KP and K70 but not the K three point two nor the K three point three, do you by any chance mean the K3ii and the K3iii?

Richard Smals
OP Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,900

Yes i mean K-3 III and K-3 II, i saw others also refer to them as K33 or K3.3 and K3.2. So i inherited that acronym

-- hide signature --

Bye4now

Phil A Martin

Richard Smals wrote:

Yes i mean K-3 III and K-3 II, i saw others also refer to them as K33 or K3.3 and K3.2. So i inherited that acronym

and some people write K33, which makes it look like a development of the real K30.

I'm not sure why people started to deviate from the correct K3iii as it appears on the camera, to K33 and I've never seen people do the same to the K3ii and write K32. I know I'm being pedantic but I find it a bit affectatious but please don't take this personally. I realise you're just following other people's practice.

There, I've said my piece

cheers

Paul_R_H Senior Member • Posts: 1,036

The answer so far is nobody knows. I and many here on this forum are keen for the same info. I have a K3 ii and would change to the K3 iii if its AF were much better.

But there are no professional review results yet such as the DPR bicycle test.

There are some people on this forum who have bought the camera and have it in hand. But they haven't been able to do tests and post them. They are either too busy at work, or live in areas of bad weather, or are still setting up the complex AF menus, or aren't people who care that much about C.AF and eye tracking.

Besides, they bought a camera at great cost, and so they want to spend time taking shots as opposed to posting shots. I can't blame them.

We will have some answers soon, but sadly not yet. The most useful indicator I've found so far is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH3tm8enm7c

Scroll to 5.45

Note, though, that he's a Pentax ambassador (ie they give him a free camera).

Paul

MrB1 Regular Member • Posts: 439

If you are wanting to be pointlessly pedantic, the name on the camera is K-3III

Phil A Martin

MrB1 wrote:

If you are wanting to be pointlessly pedantic, the name on the camera is K-3III

Yeah whatever, that's fine, however the "i"s are smaller on the camera body but I really dislike K33 or K3.3

david vella Senior Member • Posts: 2,763

Phil A Martin wrote:

Richard Smals wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

I've heard of the KP and K70 but not the K three point two nor the K three point three, do you by any chance mean the K3ii and the K3iii?

Same thing,  just easier to type !

Richard Smals
OP Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: How is AF between KP - K3 III - K3 II - K70

Thanks Paul,

Hopefully some with the K-3 III and children or a spouse or even with a large friend pool will do some portrait shots in different light conditions.

I have no proof but i always thought/imagined  that the Safox AF system was prone to wavelength difference of light. Like in different artificial light the AF was compromised!

-- hide signature --

Bye4now

KPM2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,366

Hello Paul_R_H

Paul_R_H wrote:

The answer so far is nobody knows. I and many here on this forum are keen for the same info. I have a K3 ii and would change to the K3 iii if its AF were much better.

about this:

But there are no professional review results yet such as the DPR bicycle test.

this bicycle test is such a easy to do test, I made one with my K5. DPR use the camera on a tripod. So, when you have the camera on a tripod and the camera is as high as the head of the driver, it can't get easier ! because your used focus point is always on the head....for all distances....without to move the camera up or down for that, when the street is plane. The only problem is, do you do this test at a cloudy day or at a sunny day, do the driver keep the same speed or do he get faster and faster. But this problems for to be able to compare such tests, DPR do not much count in, because we only see: could the camera nail always the focus or not. That is of cause a very important result for us, but comparing such test with other tests is not easy, because it depends on the maybe different driver speeds, contrasts do to the illumination, a continual speed, or a always getting faster speed.

best regards KPM2

There are some people on this forum who have bought the camera and have it in hand. But they haven't been able to do tests and post them. They are either too busy at work, or live in areas of bad weather, or are still setting up the complex AF menus, or aren't people who care that much about C.AF and eye tracking.

Besides, they bought a camera at great cost, and so they want to spend time taking shots as opposed to posting shots. I can't blame them.

We will have some answers soon, but sadly not yet. The most useful indicator I've found so far is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH3tm8enm7c

Scroll to 5.45

Note, though, that he's a Pentax ambassador (ie they give him a free camera).

Paul

Phil A Martin

david vella wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

Richard Smals wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Same thing, just easier to type !

Oh come on, how hard is it to type "iii"? It's just an affectation to type K33.

MrB1 Regular Member • Posts: 439

However people type its name, it will still be a daft choice of name for such a great completely new model which is related to previous versions of the K-3 only by being a Pentax.

Now, let's see more users describe their real world imaging experiences to show how it compares with previous Pentax models, as requested by the OP...

Philip

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 12,579

Phil A Martin wrote:

Richard Smals wrote:

and some people write K33, which makes it look like a development of the real K30.

And some say Katie.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more

Phil A Martin wrote:

david vella wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

Richard Smals wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Same thing, just easier to type !

Oh come on, how hard is it to type "iii"? It's just an affectation to type K33.

K 3 . 3   not K33 is easier / quicker  to type,  not an affectation to me  at least , and  perfectly vaid .

The answer to this question and possibly many others too , will  most likely be provided by IMAGING RESOURCE during the course of their ongoing review .

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3-iii/pentax-k3-iiiA.HTM

robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,307

I cant answer about K3mkiii performance yet as I too am watching from the sidelines and seeing who is providing what sort of reviews.

I can say fairly confidently that K3mkiii seems to have better tracking function which seems to be the general thoughts amongst all who now have it or have tried it.  I'm happy with the balance of thinking, However:

I too am not impressed by Pentax AF-S let alone their AF-C and it's really hard to tell by others experience especially when they are Pentax users and all keen to tell a good news story about their new purchase .... dare I say it ... a tiny bit of placebo effect based on spending so much money and justifying a new camera ????

I have issues with shooting medium to longer distance on borderline contrasting subjects where even the 18-135 zips into action but fails to lock sharply onto subject. Whereas my D800 just goes... i know what you want, here it is, what's next ....

Quantifying auto focus systems is a very difficult and scientific process and hopefully someone like DPR and Chris Nichols can put it into layman's terms for me.

Its not always about tracking, but even when it is, have Pentax improved it significantly but not quite nailed it ? I'm seeing a few people trying but the image quality is not impressing me so far... have Ricoh tried, improved most or some area's and not quite hit the mark.

Is that reliable AF-S we are both talking about been put aside ... thinking it's already really good, forgot to improve it in pursuit of AF-C and we are still left with a half baked effort of improvements?

The files are interesting, the mid to very high iso looks much cleaner but from what I've seen the files look more muted and almost lacking in detail up to 1600 iso. Maybe yet again it wasn't pure apples for apples and there is a better result to be had in RAW processing.

The jury is still out for me ..... i'm certainly no longer a starry eyed Pentax supporter but a realist who use to use them exclusively but now found their limitations and wondering where this new camera stacks up?

K0d Regular Member • Posts: 196

MrB1 wrote:

However people type its name, it will still be a daft choice of name for such a great completely new model which is related to previous versions of the K-3 only by being a Pentax.

Now, let's see more users describe their real world imaging experiences to show how it compares with previous Pentax models, as requested by the OP...

Philip

Let's take the pressure off new owners who have a right to enjoy their new cameras and should be under no pressure to perform tests to satisfy those who did not pay up.

And the K3III had to have that name otherwise many would say it was not the true successor in the K3 line.

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,107
My lame walking cat test

all I have had time to try is sitting in my front porch with my cat walking toward me and the k3iii plus 18-135 lens in auto mode. All. good In focus pictures taken with no difficulty. I know from experience my KP K3 and K1 all fail to get any shots in focus doing that same scenario. My Nikon D7100 plus 18-140 lens also gets all in focus pictures in that scenario.

It is my test that is lame. Not the cat. Actually for whatever reason she walks annoyingly fast toward me when I try to take pictures of her. So this is a scenario I am trying fairly often

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 12,579

robbo d wrote:

I cant answer about K3mkiii performance yet as I too am watching from the sidelines and seeing who is providing what sort of reviews.

I can say fairly confidently that K3mkiii seems to have better tracking function which seems to be the general thoughts amongst all who now have it or have tried it. I'm happy with the balance of thinking, However:

I too am not impressed by Pentax AF-S let alone their AF-C and it's really hard to tell by others experience especially when they are Pentax users and all keen to tell a good news story about their new purchase .... dare I say it ... a tiny bit of placebo effect based on spending so much money and justifying a new camera ????

You are not too impressed by the old generation Pentax AF; and I'm in the same situation. Even the AF-S, precise as it is, is hampered by e.g. the too large AF points.

But we're talking about a new generation AF, which has to be evaluated on its own. The specs looks fine, and there are some encouraging results.

Quantifying auto focus systems is a very difficult and scientific process and hopefully someone like DPR and Chris Nichols can put it into layman's terms for me.

It doesn't have to be scientific. It could be some reasonably experienced dude getting out and getting way more keepers than usual with Pentax.

I'm very selective, and looking for samples which would show a real improvement. It's not easy for the photographer, either... so let's have a bit of patience!

By the way:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/422582-af-c-k-3iii-impressive-24.html#post5277391

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Photodog2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,155
Re: My lame walking cat test

Can you make her walk in a Z-pattern? I hear that's what cats are expected to do these days whenever they walk toward you. But don't get your hopes too high, cats on bicycles doing a Z are next.

Photodog2's gear list:Photodog2's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Sony a7 II +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads