Which other system to pair with Fujifilm

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Human Elements
Human Elements Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: Which other system to pair with Fujifilm

Foveon. I was resistant for a long time about running two systems. I was enchanted by Foveon IQ but appaled by the handling, which Fujifilm is excellent at (for me). I couldn't decide which I wanted to use but I couldn't give up either. So I have a DP Merrill kit on the way for the days where I want to take it slow and get an entirely different photography experience...And my X100V as my speedy snapshot/documentary camera.

Human Elements's gear list:Human Elements's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR III
AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,395

Human Elements wrote:

Foveon. . . . So I have a DP Merrill kit on the way for the days where I want to take it slow and get an entirely different photography experience.

I put in bold the words I appreciate.

You will enjoy it. Use a Sigma as a Sigma and not with Fujifilm mentality.

Some “influencial” “reviewers” (no names here) used words like “stupid” and “unusable” in their reviews of certain Sigma cameras. Oh well...

Human Elements

AshleyMC wrote:

Some “influencial” “reviewers” (no names here) used words like “stupid” and “unusable” in their reviews of certain Sigma cameras. Oh well...

Yeah, their loss. As soon as I saw the output I knew I had to have it. But it's taken me a long time to accept that these just won't be manhandled into working the way I want. But there's no question Sigmas are marvelous in their niche. Such as landscape photography, which I'm doing more of.

astonehouse
astonehouse Regular Member • Posts: 347

From what I've tried (not owned a FF mirrorless) I'd be looking at Nikon if you enjoy Fuji. What about the Z5 (if you don't care that much about video) as you can use your SD cards? Plus they cost less than a new X-T3 at the moment.. The R6 is appealing too, but a lot more of an investment.

I had a Canon 5D mk3 before Fuji and looking back at the images from that they are fairly comparable to results from my better Fuji lenses and my X-T4, and better than images I shot with my old X100T. I assume you want to see what the differences are in DoF and high iso?

-- hide signature --
 astonehouse's gear list:astonehouse's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 R WR +2 more
viska Contributing Member • Posts: 601

For casual landscapes, family,some macro and IBIS!

Find a used K-1 by Pentax.The 28-105WR will suit most of what you do.For Macro add the

100WR a very good lens.

Shutter rated to 300k accutations,superb WR.Its big and weighs a KG without a lens.

........................................................OR

X-S10 fuji...Viltrox speed booster with EF L glass and good 3rd party glass.FOV and speed of FF.

.......................................................OR

Canon RP with 35mmf1.8macro Image stabilised and 24-240mm Image stabilisation....Digital body stabilisation is very good.EF mount L glass and 3rd party numbers almost 200 million. The L 17-40 f4 is cheap and good.

viska's gear list:viska's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Pentax K-1 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS RP Pentax K-3
Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 869

DuncanIdaho wrote:

biza43 wrote:

For my photography, the increase in sensor size from APSC to FF does not bring any advantage. I actually came from FF to APSC, because it is good enough for me, and I like the results and operation philosophy from Fujifilm.

If I had the money and wanted visible improvements, I would go to Fujifilm MF.

To be quite frank, I dont expect a lot of improvement to my photography by sizing up the sensor. If I find myself confirmed, that apsc suffices I am more than happy with this outcome.

MF would be great to try out but as I said its beyond my budget.

norjens wrote:

... is that it depends. Depends on what gap you want the secondary system to fill.

Adapting vintage lenses? Sony A7 (original) is really good value for that. Really affordable and gets you the full image circle of those lenses.

and here's the thing: I casually shoot landscapes, document family life and do some macro. my craving to try something else is simply motivated by the fun of using a variety of technology and to form an own opinion rather than reading reviews the whole day long. one exception would be IBIS as I often roam through different cities in the evening hours due to frequent business trips, but that I could also get by buying an XT4.

Confusedabit wrote:

m43 is the way to go for portability.

I almost bought an olympus em5 mark ii but decided against it in favour for the fuji.

Take care not be sucked in to these often tempting passing fads

yes it's tempting and I came to the conclusion there is nothing wrong with just giving it a try. used camera gear can be bought and sold with a very limited monetary penalty.

You need to figure out what you're trying to achieve here. What's currently lacking in Fuji that you want from a different system. Is your fuji gear holding you back from taking the pictures you want? What features are looking for? You mentioned ibis...do you really need it though? Sony's ibis is not that great anyway.

It will also take time to learn to use & configure a new system before you figure out if you like it.

What about the X-S10? That has IBIS & is different enough from other Fujis if you're just looking for something different. It will be an upgrade in some ways to your xt2, is compact & you can use your existing lenses. What new lenses are you thinking to buy in this new system?

Since it's just a hobby, I don't know if owning 2 systems is going to help you become a better photographer. If anything you might get more headaches lol (a bit like having 2 wives :p)

Of course Sony will give you better AF but are you struggling with your Fuji? Are you having issues with low light? Do you plan on making huge prints?

I'm not saying don't buy a Sony or Nikon (definitely skip Canon :p) but just figure out what you want from that system first. That will make your decision a lot easier.

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 6,342

DuncanIdaho wrote:

hence I was asking my self, which would be the best system or camera to pair with fujifilm? my idea was to buy a used FF body for under <2000€ and to get a system which has different strength/weaknesses than my current fuji (XE1 + XT2) setup.

What specific use are you looking for?

Panasonic

They are the underdog in the FF territory. normally I would love to give them a try but used bodies are not really cheaper than the competition. then there AF is even worse than the one from fujifilm, so I am not sure if that would pair so well.

Lens selection is also not that great if I rule out the super expensice leica lenses.

There's a large number of Sigma-lenses available in L-mount; in fact I believe there are more lenses available for this system, than for Z & RF.

Myself, I use 2 FF-systems next to my Fuji X-T1.

One is the M Monochrom, which I use with lenses from the 1930ies to 50ies. This system is much better suited for manual focus than Fuji. In addition, the brutal simplicity of the camera is a big plus for me. But since you mention IBIS and AF, I would not recommend any M to you

A year ago, I purchased a Pentax K-1, and that's something you may want to consider: It's a very rugged camera, has effective IBIS, a great 36MP sensor with huge dynamic range. The UI/ergo is also pleasant to use. The downside is the size/weight, although the other cameras you listed aren't necessarily featherweights either. A good K-1 can be found in the range of 800-1000 euro.

In addition, you could also look at e.g. the Nikon&Canon-counterparts of the K-1. Although I believe those brands have always refused to implement stabilization into their bodies, but a stabilized lens might counter that. Another advantage of a used Canon SLR-system is the large used market.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Pentax K100D Leica M-Monochrom Pentax K10D Pentax K-1
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,941
Really different technology or just a different brand ?

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Ok, so instead of wondering what its like to shoot with other cameras, I decided to get a used mid-tier FF camera as an addition to my fujifilm kit. though I could also rent I believe buying used and selling will be more cost effective and allows me to spend more time with it. then again this is all just hobby to me and i'd like to play around with different tools.

hence I was asking my self, which would be the best system or camera to pair with fujifilm? my idea was to buy a used FF body for under <2000€ and to get a system which has different strength/weaknesses than my current fuji (XE1 + XT2) setup.

My personal take on the different options is as follows:

Canon RF

I only had Nikon before and would be curious to try out a canon instead. plus used L-class EF lenses are widespread and easy to get on the 2nd hand market.

I like the surface material used of the EOS R and even though it has its quirks it would be good just for the sake of trying "something else".

unfortunately I believe my next camera should have IBIS. (I currently have XT2) in addition all new RF lenses fall into the categories "affordable but mediocre quality" or "superb but way too expensive for me".

Nikon Z

I was always fond of Nikon and a while ago I held a Z6 in my hand and have to say, that it felt absolutely like "coming home". I also like the way they pursue with there affordable yet very high quality 1.8 primes.

Used Z6's and Z7's are also a great bargain currently.

So compared to my XT2 I'd gain

• better grip
  • IBIS
  • somewhat refined software (smartphone app, intelligent auto iso, more advanced bracketing, etc)

Sony

This is a tough one. TBH I dont really like sony as a camera brand. their sensors are great but to me they are still primarily an electronics company. I know this is purely subjective and does not make sense.

On the other hand, they seem to be a perfect companion to the fujis

• Ergos are not perfect but Sony is constantly improving. the button placement, handgrip and built quality is good since the MKiii models and new models show that sony is constantly improving
  • has IBIS
  • many say they have a less "organic look", so this could also augment well to fuji
  • lens selection is simply outstanding. this is where fuji falls short and with sony there are tons of good 3rd party options even with AF
  • Sony has the best AF! it is probably safe to say that sony has a huge advantage here and will keep it over the next generations. though fuji is improving they are still behind and I am not confident they will close the gap. to sony could be the ideal system to tiptoe into bleeding edge AF tracking.

Panasonic

They are the underdog in the FF territory. normally I would love to give them a try but used bodies are not really cheaper than the competition. then there AF is even worse than the one from fujifilm, so I am not sure if that would pair so well.

Lens selection is also not that great if I rule out the super expensice leica lenses.

So I wonder if there are any people out here who have been asking the same question or are even running a two-system strategy??

You told also this: " and here's the thing: I casually shoot landscapes, document family life and do some macro. my craving to try something else is simply motivated by the fun of using a variety of technology and to form an own opinion rather than reading reviews the whole day long. one exception would be IBIS as I often roam through different cities in the evening hours due to frequent business trips, but that I could also get by buying an XT4."

I have used Fujifilm cameras since X-E1... I did not sell all my Canon gear and later even added some new (not the latest)

Anyway, I like the combination of my Fuji X-H1+E3 with. FF Canon 5DMkIV.

Why?

Optical viewfinder is different and sometimes IMO much better. Fuji does not have a lens exactly like 100-400L MkII and with 5D I really enjoy shooting wildlife.

Camera is also great in lowlight - high ISO and an IS lens is in real life almost as good as IBIS with some lens and my H1.

Lenses with IS are easy to find and there are even some primes with IS - macro lenses etc ( also from Sigma and Tamron )

5DMkIV is one possibility if you want something that really works and is different - it is still sold as new and I'm not sure how easy it is to find a used one that has not been in serious use of a pro...

IF you can consider also OVF there are many other FF possibilities.

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +10 more
HappyCampers Forum Member • Posts: 84

probably a bit left field but I have paired Pentax with Fujifilm - primarily because the designers seem to think like photographers, or at least like me

I can swap between them easily

The K1 ii is an outstanding full frame option. Lens choices don't cover every eventuality like they do for Canon, but the glass they make is pretty fine

timwit Contributing Member • Posts: 548

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Ok, so instead of wondering what its like to shoot with other cameras, I decided to get a used mid-tier FF camera as an addition to my fujifilm kit. though I could also rent I believe buying used and selling will be more cost effective and allows me to spend more time with it. then again this is all just hobby to me and i'd like to play around with different tools.

Nikon Z

I was always fond of Nikon and a while ago I held a Z6 in my hand and have to say, that it felt absolutely like "coming home". I also like the way they pursue with there affordable yet very high quality 1.8 primes.

• better grip
  • IBIS
  • somewhat refined software (smartphone app, intelligent auto iso, more advanced bracketing, etc)

So I wonder if there are any people out here who have been asking the same question or are even running a two-system strategy??

I'm only chiming in because I have actual experience with the X-T2 and the Nikon Z system.  For most value for your money, the Nikon Z with their affordable f/1.8 lenses would be the most enticing option on my list.  Their f/4 lens are also up there in performance and quality.  In fact, it is hard to find much fault with all the Z lenses they have released so far.

The Nikon Z 6 would be the cheapest option to get your feet wet in the new system.  If you want visible improvement in IQ, the Nikon Z 7 should be a serious consideration.

Tim C.

OP DuncanIdaho Regular Member • Posts: 116

wow this is really some great feedback from the community!

it looks like although we have many different opinions here, I hear are a lot of similar voices as well:

• Sigma foveon seems to have a  lot of fans, especially if its all about getting a different shooting experience
  • nikon seems to be in favour of many fujistas. presumably if I would abandon fuji I would go for nikon because I am still familiar with their UI concept
  • gfx is a logical step up. maybe I do wait until prices of 50R drop a bit further... i also like the idea of totally slowing down the photo taking process
  • pentax could be a great option
  • sony seems to offer everything fuji lacks and vice versa. though I am not too fond of sony as a brand I like the direction they are going (thanks for the hint reg. the aperture rings in their latest lenses!) and can imagine keeping fuji for the sould and add a sony to try out that extra bit of technical perfection
-- hide signature --
rlandrigan Forum Member • Posts: 97

HappyCampers wrote:

probably a bit left field but I have paired Pentax with Fujifilm -

That makes a ton of sense - if I were at all serious about astrophotography or did more landscapes, the K1 is such a great camera, and as you said, thee is definitely a photographer- focused approach with both systems.

Human Elements

DuncanIdaho wrote:

• Sigma foveon seems to have a lot of fans, especially if its all about getting a different shooting experience

I should also warn you that Foveon cameras have a lot of problems quirks that make them not for everyone. The sensors are very cranky, the cameras have poor AF and ISO performance, and they don't really fit into the typical software processing flow.

But if you want to see photos that actually have their own "color science," you can't do much better than Foveon unless you go medium format. Every other digital camera out there uses either a Bayer color filter or in the case of Fuji, X-Trans, which is a variant. But foveon is (more or less) a true color sensor with no color interpolation. They render fine detail extraordinarily well . They also happen to create stunning monochromes since they aren't interpolating via color filters.

Best of all, used cameras are quite cheap because everyone hates working with them!

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 14,533
Agreed - Fuji GFX Medium Format

biza43 wrote:

If I had the money and wanted visible improvements, I would go to Fujifilm MF.

Given you have an APS sensored camera, the only logical choice is to make a 2 sensor size leap, so that would mean going to something using a 1" sensor, or to the Fuji GFX medium format line.

Personally, my choice would be Fuji GFX.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +52 more
Makingtrax Senior Member • Posts: 1,041
Re: Some SONY complement FUJI well me thinks ...

deednets wrote:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Canon RF

I only had Nikon before and would be curious to try out a canon instead. plus used L-class EF lenses are widespread and easy to get on the 2nd hand market.

I like the surface material used of the EOS R and even though it has its quirks it would be good just for the sake of trying "something else".

unfortunately I believe my next camera should have IBIS. (I currently have XT2) in addition all new RF lenses fall into the categories "affordable but mediocre quality" or "superb but way too expensive for me".

Nikon Z

• better grip
  • IBIS

Sony

This is a tough one. TBH I dont really like sony as a camera brand. their sensors are great but to me they are still primarily an electronics company. I know this is purely subjective and does not make sense.

• Ergos are not perfect but Sony is constantly improving. the button placement, handgrip and built quality is good since the MKiii models and new models show that sony is constantly improving
  • has IBIS
  • many say they have a less "organic look", so this could also augment well to fuji
  • lens selection is simply outstanding. this is where fuji falls short and with sony there are tons of good 3rd party options even with AF
  • Sony has the best AF! it is probably safe to say that sony has a huge advantage here and will keep it over the next generations. though fuji is improving they are still behind and I am not confident they will close the gap. to sony could be the ideal system to tiptoe into bleeding edge AF tracking.

Panasonic

I originally came from Nikon FF when I started using Fuji in 2013 (really??). So when I originally kept Nikon for a while I always had my eyes on other systems as well:

• Micro Four Thirds: first the LX100 then the GX8 and then the Pen-F. Gave up on that system because IQ and colours let me down. No regrets.
  • SONY RX1, then RX1r and now RX1RII: An IQ power house, on the DX0 website still in the top 10 of all cameras. Many downsides, battery not good, but even though the RX1RII is a 2016 camera, face and also eye AF actually works! IQ of the RX1RII is sensational!
  • SONY A7III: not a bad camera but never really worked for me, felt heavy and the colours were ever so slightly off for my liking. AF excellent. REALLY good, great even.
  • SONY A7C: works on many levels, the AF is sensational, had the eye AF set to "responsive" and thought: man, this is good ... until I found out it is actually the weakest setting! Lock-on is the highest where the AF seems to have a fishhook in the person's - or animal's - eye, tagging a fishing line, never let go. Size and new colour works well for me.
  • SIGMA Contemporary and latest SONY lenses all have aperture rings! A BIG one for me as it means that the SONY's work almost the same way as I use Fuji. I hardly ever set shutter speed manually so never felt the need for a separate wheel there. Neither Nikon nor Canon have this!

So, coming to your original question: I think that SONY is not as bad a system as some make it out to be and in my case complements Fuji in an excellent way:

For all things fast-AF I now use the A7C with either the SIGMAs 35/2 or 65/2 or the Zeiss 16-35/4.

For scenarios where extremely high ISO is important I use the A7C. I mean, come on, the auto-ISO I found was set to 50-204.800. But clean I find the images to be "only" up to 12.800 or 25.600 depending on material.

For high resolution images I use the RX1RII. 43Mpx is not the highest on Earth, but quite high up there!

Thought about the Z6/7 but don't like the memory card "issue" and the fact that lenses are expensive and don't have aperture rings. Canon? Nope ... not my cup of tea, never was.

A "frame, fire - and foget" affair with the A7C

X-Pro3 static enough, no problem!

A7C + SIGMA 65/2

X-T20 + 56/1.2

Both Auckland skyline pics I have posted in full resolution. The 56/1.2 image was taken at F8 (diffraction?). Naturally the 56/1.2 has a narrower field of view, but you might still get an idea as to how FF versus APS-C renders. Fuji vs SONY ... haha.

For me (in quotation marks!!) the combo works well.

Deed

Aukland shots are quite revealing, the clarity in the Sony pic is something else.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Makingtrax's gear list:Makingtrax's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 6,342

Human Elements wrote:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

• Sigma foveon seems to have a lot of fans, especially if its all about getting a different shooting experience

I should also warn you that Foveon cameras have a lot of problems quirks that make them not for everyone. The sensors are very cranky, the cameras have poor AF and ISO performance, and they don't really fit into the typical software processing flow.

Having owned several Simga-cameras, I can certainly confirm they are quirky, but also very rewarding.

The AF is not fast BUT is always dead-accurate in my experience. So I wouldn't call it poor, just slow on occasion.

But if you want to see photos that actually have their own "color science," you can't do much better than Foveon unless you go medium format. Every other digital camera out there uses either a Bayer color filter or in the case of Fuji, X-Trans, which is a variant.

There's also camera's without CFA, but these do not render colours at all

But foveon is (more or less) a true color sensor with no color interpolation. They render fine detail extraordinarily well . They also happen to create stunning monochromes since they aren't interpolating via color filters.

Best of all, used cameras are quite cheap because everyone hates working with them!

I absolutely agree that the files from a Foveon-camera are totally unique.

In addition, Sigma-cameras are very well built. Despite being a small manufacturer (for cameras) they certainly know how to make them. The UI is also great in my opinion.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Pentax K100D Leica M-Monochrom Pentax K10D Pentax K-1
trewsbury76 Contributing Member • Posts: 947

To indulge in other camera systems (like me) to simply try out could be a mistake. It all depends on which particular lenses meet your demands; for photography or video or both.

By my reckoning the system with the most impressive images for colour and detail spells Lumix Panasonic. No doubt Lumix provides results that deliver in all respects. But Lumix camera design stops me pursuing that route. Full-frame lenses cost more than Fuji APS-C.

New SIGMA 35mm f1,4 DG Art lens with LUMIX S....worth a look?

trewsbury76's gear list:trewsbury76's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R III Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
MarcosV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,377

DuncanIdaho wrote:

I don't think you can get a good feel for a system for a few thousand dollars. For a few thousand you are looking at a body with kit lens or one or two primes.  You really got to have a decent lens selection to understand if you enjoy shooting with a system across all of the types of photography you like to do.

A major factor in what system I would try would be what camera gear my friends own and use. That would give me more options to try out/borrow different lenses and other gear.

I would actively support two systems if I'm considering switching over to another system. For me, switching systems means I start investing in lenses for a system over multiple years.

If I was honestly looking for a complementary system without leaving Fuji XF mount, I would be getting into Fujifilm MF.

If you really were into sports or wildlife photography and want excellent constant AF and access to the large, fast primes, your current choices get very interesting because prices are way beyond a few thousand dollars.

If I honestly wanted to dabble into another system to see how it is like, I would go with:

1. Sony - Certain models have an excellent dynamic range which can be very useful for landscape work. Great selection of used and third-party lenses since it has been around a long time.
  2. Canon RF - Because I like the brand from my SLR/DSLR days. The major drawback for me is the fact it this system is too new and all of the lenses are expensive. I got burned by EOS-M before. I plan on waiting a few more years to see how things work out.
  3. m43 - I'd do this if I want to go smaller/lighter than Fuji-X APS-C or want to emphasize video in a lightweight package. Lots of inexpensive used lens options. I'm curious to see where m43 is at in five years. Dead by then?

I don't consider Nikon because I never seriously used Nikon. All of the Nikon poor financial performance stories don't help.

MarcosV's gear list:MarcosV's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 12,311

Makingtrax wrote:

deednets wrote:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Canon RF

Nikon Z

• better grip
  • IBIS

Sony

• has IBIS

Panasonic

I originally came from Nikon FF when I started using Fuji in 2013 (really??). So when I originally kept Nikon for a while I always had my eyes on other systems as well:

• Micro Four Thirds: first the LX100 then the GX8 and then the Pen-F. Gave up on that system because IQ and colours let me down. No regrets.
  • SONY RX1, then RX1r and now RX1RII: An IQ power house, on the DX0 website still in the top 10 of all cameras. Many downsides, battery not good, but even though the RX1RII is a 2016 camera, face and also eye AF actually works! IQ of the RX1RII is sensational!
  • SONY A7III: not a bad camera but never really worked for me, felt heavy and the colours were ever so slightly off for my liking. AF excellent. REALLY good, great even.
  • SONY A7C: works on many levels, the AF is sensational, had the eye AF set to "responsive" and thought: man, this is good ... until I found out it is actually the weakest setting! Lock-on is the highest where the AF seems to have a fishhook in the person's - or animal's - eye, tagging a fishing line, never let go. Size and new colour works well for me.
  • SIGMA Contemporary and latest SONY lenses all have aperture rings! A BIG one for me as it means that the SONY's work almost the same way as I use Fuji. I hardly ever set shutter speed manually so never felt the need for a separate wheel there. Neither Nikon nor Canon have this!

So, coming to your original question: I think that SONY is not as bad a system as some make it out to be and in my case complements Fuji in an excellent way:

For all things fast-AF I now use the A7C with either the SIGMAs 35/2 or 65/2 or the Zeiss 16-35/4.

For scenarios where extremely high ISO is important I use the A7C. I mean, come on, the auto-ISO I found was set to 50-204.800. But clean I find the images to be "only" up to 12.800 or 25.600 depending on material.

For high resolution images I use the RX1RII. 43Mpx is not the highest on Earth, but quite high up there!

Thought about the Z6/7 but don't like the memory card "issue" and the fact that lenses are expensive and don't have aperture rings. Canon? Nope ... not my cup of tea, never was.

A "frame, fire - and foget" affair with the A7C

X-Pro3 static enough, no problem!

A7C + SIGMA 65/2

X-T20 + 56/1.2

Both Auckland skyline pics I have posted in full resolution. The 56/1.2 image was taken at F8 (diffraction?). Naturally the 56/1.2 has a narrower field of view, but you might still get an idea as to how FF versus APS-C renders. Fuji vs SONY ... haha.

For me (in quotation marks!!) the combo works well.

Deed

Aukland shots are quite revealing, the clarity in the Sony pic is something else.

True. At 100% it's cleaner. I think the gap could have been closer if I had used the 50/2? Might try this today, just for fun 🙃

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Sony a7R IIIA Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +9 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,538

As a fairly long term Fuji user, coming from Nikon D800, I thought that the Fuji image of Auckland rather disappointing and had I taken it I'd be looking to what I'd done wrong, that being the commonest cause of disappointing images in my hands.  There simply shouldn't be that much difference.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads