Which other system to pair with Fujifilm

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
DuncanIdaho Regular Member • Posts: 116
Which other system to pair with Fujifilm

Ok, so instead of wondering what its like to shoot with other cameras, I decided to get a used mid-tier FF camera as an addition to my fujifilm kit. though I could also rent I believe buying used and selling will be more cost effective and allows me to spend more time with it. then again this is all just hobby to me and i'd like to play around with different tools.

hence I was asking my self, which would be the best system or camera to pair with fujifilm? my idea was to buy a used FF body for under <2000€ and to get a system which has different strength/weaknesses than my current fuji (XE1 + XT2) setup.

My personal take on the different options is as follows:

Canon RF

I only had Nikon before and would be curious to try out a canon instead. plus used L-class EF lenses are widespread and easy to get on the 2nd hand market.

I like the surface material used of the EOS R and even though it has its quirks it would be good just for the sake of trying "something else".

unfortunately I believe my next camera should have IBIS. (I currently have XT2) in addition all new RF lenses fall into the categories "affordable but mediocre quality" or "superb but way too expensive for me".

Nikon Z

I was always fond of Nikon and a while ago I held a Z6 in my hand and have to say, that it felt absolutely like "coming home". I also like the way they pursue with there affordable yet very high quality 1.8 primes.

Used Z6's and Z7's are also a great bargain currently.

So compared to my XT2 I'd gain

• better grip
  • IBIS
  • somewhat refined software (smartphone app, intelligent auto iso, more advanced bracketing, etc)

Sony

This is a tough one. TBH I dont really like sony as a camera brand. their sensors are great but to me they are still primarily an electronics company. I know this is purely subjective and does not make sense.

On the other hand, they seem to be a perfect companion to the fujis

• Ergos are not perfect but Sony is constantly improving. the button placement, handgrip and built quality is good since the MKiii models and new models show that sony is constantly improving
  • has IBIS
  • many say they have a less "organic look", so this could also augment well to fuji
  • lens selection is simply outstanding. this is where fuji falls short and with sony there are tons of good 3rd party options even with AF
  • Sony has the best AF! it is probably safe to say that sony has a huge advantage here and will keep it over the next generations. though fuji is improving they are still behind and I am not confident they will close the gap. to sony could be the ideal system to tiptoe into bleeding edge AF tracking.

Panasonic

They are the underdog in the FF territory. normally I would love to give them a try but used bodies are not really cheaper than the competition. then there AF is even worse than the one from fujifilm, so I am not sure if that would pair so well.

Lens selection is also not that great if I rule out the super expensice leica lenses.

So I wonder if there are any people out here who have been asking the same question or are even running a two-system strategy??

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,969
Re: Which other system to pair with Fujifilm

For my photography, the increase in sensor size from APSC to FF does not bring any advantage. I actually came from FF to APSC, because it is good enough for me, and I like the results and operation philosophy from Fujifilm.

If I had the money and wanted visible improvements, I would go to Fujifilm MF.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM +1 more
norjens
norjens Regular Member • Posts: 424
Obvious answer

... is that it depends. Depends on what gap you want the secondary system to fill.

Sports and/or wildlife? I'd say a DSLR or Canon R5, which in the comparisons I've seen is better in practice than Sony's A1 specifications monster.

Higher resolution? The new Nikon Z-mount glass is a major step up in resolution from the aging X-mount and Sony E-mount, but cheaper than Canon RF. Nikon can't keep on pumping out more new lenses than Fuji and Sony combined for eternity though, so expect this advantage to diminish over time. Then there's GFX, which will obviously remain top dog for high res. And finally there's always the option of shooting panoramas with the gear you already have plus some minor investment in supporting equipment and techniques.

Adapting vintage lenses? Sony A7 (original) is really good value for that. Really affordable and gets you the full image circle of those lenses.

Smaller and portable? A smartphone.

mma2 Regular Member • Posts: 242

I currently own both a X-H1 and X100 along with a Nikon Z7ii with several Z lenses.

Since you were a former Nikon owner and liked what you saw in the Z6, this seems to be a logical choice for you.  I've shot Fuji and Nikon Z side by side for two years (Z7 prior to Z7ii) for travel, family, event and some wildlife photography.  Both are fine systems, it all depends upon what you shoot and what you like.  My experience is that the "S" Z lenses are the primary reason that I love the Z's.  These are phenomenal lenses, especially the Z 24-70/f2.8 S and Z 70-200/f2.8 S, both of which I own.  If you shoot wildlife, there are many fine telephoto options via the FTZ adapter.

Good luck on your decision!

mma2's gear list:mma2's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z50 +14 more
Orangorill
Orangorill Regular Member • Posts: 211

Really depends on what you want to do. If you want do to sports and action, or video with autofocus, get a Sony. If image quality is your main priority, or video with manual focus, get a Panasonic. Canon is potentially a great middle of the road option, but the R6 is expensive compared to the S5 and the A7III.

If you're wading into a swamp to take pictures of birds, you're better off with an Olympus.

Orangorill's gear list:Orangorill's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 7artisans 25mm F1.8 7artisans 55mm F1.4 +8 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 12,077

The Sigma fp L offers 60mp resolution.  Interesting camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +12 more
OP DuncanIdaho Regular Member • Posts: 116

biza43 wrote:

For my photography, the increase in sensor size from APSC to FF does not bring any advantage. I actually came from FF to APSC, because it is good enough for me, and I like the results and operation philosophy from Fujifilm.

If I had the money and wanted visible improvements, I would go to Fujifilm MF.

To be quite frank, I dont expect a lot of improvement to my photography by sizing up the sensor. If I find myself confirmed, that apsc suffices I am more than happy with this outcome.

MF would be great to try out but as I said its beyond my budget.

norjens wrote:

... is that it depends. Depends on what gap you want the secondary system to fill.

Adapting vintage lenses? Sony A7 (original) is really good value for that. Really affordable and gets you the full image circle of those lenses.

and here's the thing: I casually shoot landscapes, document family life and do some macro. my craving to try something else is simply motivated by the fun of using a variety of technology and to form an own opinion rather than reading reviews the whole day long. one exception would be IBIS as I often roam through different cities in the evening hours due to frequent business trips, but that I could also get by buying an XT4.

Confusedabit wrote:

m43 is the way to go for portability.

I almost bought an olympus em5 mark ii but decided against it in favour for the fuji.

Take care not be sucked in to these often tempting passing fads

yes it's tempting and I came to the conclusion there is nothing wrong with just giving it a try. used camera gear can be bought and sold with a very limited monetary penalty.

-- hide signature --
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,983

I´ve paired it with a used Sony A7r II. I have a 17" printer and sometimes with some rare shots the 42 MP actually help. But the main reason was being able to use Canon lenses without the crop factor and the Voigtlander 15mm . Recently I´ve also bought the Sony 24-105 and, sorry to say, the Fuji 16-80 really fades in comparison.   I keep the Fuji X-T3 now only because of the 27mm and the 50-230, both great small combinations not possible with FF cameras.

-- hide signature --

Waldemar

kierenlon
kierenlon Contributing Member • Posts: 974

It depends entirely on what you want to shoot.  I would decide on focal length  primarily and portability / budget:
  I own the Fuji X-T30 and my favorite lens is the 23mm F1.4 and the 15-45 kit lens at 15mm.
I don't have the budget to support 2 cameras but if i did it would be either:
1. Ricoh GR  - to be able to have a portable camera that is very capable that I could take on running in new locations
or
2. A nikon (or canon/sony - I am just used to Nikon DSLR) with a 70-200 F2.8 lens for local sports / athletics shooting .

Both uses are too niche to spend on in my case, so I tolerate my phone (samsun s9) for photos on the run and have a compact Nikon 100mm F2.8 to shoot sport on the fuji.  That is manual focus though so will be a test for me once lockdown ends and the opportunity arrises again.

kierenlon's gear list:kierenlon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,536

Exactly my experience, but the OP is clear the main reason is to play with another system.  The logical thing to pair with Fuji is Fuji.  If you've got Pro/T/H get an E or T?0 and vice versa.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
rlandrigan Forum Member • Posts: 97

I've been pairing fuji and Nikon for a long while now, with an X-h1 and Z6 currently. Tried an 810 but I'm spoiled for IBIS, now:)

Nikon has great lenses for the Z, and a ton of tele options - where a Fringer adapter for your Fuji can replace a teleconverter - and more wide and superwide options.

Right now, I'm using the Fuji for the 35 1.4, 16 1.4, and 50-140 2.8 - I want to try the S primes soon but have to rebuild my camera fund first:) I'm also going to try the megadap L mount adapter, if that is at all usable on the Z6 I might just not care about any more lenses.

Nikons in operation feel more akin to Fuji than Sony or Canon, which makes shooting them side by side easier, so that's a concern as well.

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 14,107

Same. There is one distinct place where a larger sensor would improve my results, and FF mirrorless prime lenses that interest me in that role are starting to appear. But then I think about giving up the shooting experience and great JPEGs I get with Fuji, none of the FF options look that great.

And Fuji MF looks better and better.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 12,308
Some SONY complement FUJI well me thinks ...

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Ok, so instead of wondering what its like to shoot with other cameras, I decided to get a used mid-tier FF camera as an addition to my fujifilm kit. though I could also rent I believe buying used and selling will be more cost effective and allows me to spend more time with it. then again this is all just hobby to me and i'd like to play around with different tools.

hence I was asking my self, which would be the best system or camera to pair with fujifilm? my idea was to buy a used FF body for under <2000€ and to get a system which has different strength/weaknesses than my current fuji (XE1 + XT2) setup.

Canon RF

I only had Nikon before and would be curious to try out a canon instead. plus used L-class EF lenses are widespread and easy to get on the 2nd hand market.

I like the surface material used of the EOS R and even though it has its quirks it would be good just for the sake of trying "something else".

unfortunately I believe my next camera should have IBIS. (I currently have XT2) in addition all new RF lenses fall into the categories "affordable but mediocre quality" or "superb but way too expensive for me".

Nikon Z

I was always fond of Nikon and a while ago I held a Z6 in my hand and have to say, that it felt absolutely like "coming home". I also like the way they pursue with there affordable yet very high quality 1.8 primes.

• better grip
  • IBIS
  • somewhat refined software (smartphone app, intelligent auto iso, more advanced bracketing, etc)

Sony

This is a tough one. TBH I dont really like sony as a camera brand. their sensors are great but to me they are still primarily an electronics company. I know this is purely subjective and does not make sense.

• Ergos are not perfect but Sony is constantly improving. the button placement, handgrip and built quality is good since the MKiii models and new models show that sony is constantly improving
  • has IBIS
  • many say they have a less "organic look", so this could also augment well to fuji
  • lens selection is simply outstanding. this is where fuji falls short and with sony there are tons of good 3rd party options even with AF
  • Sony has the best AF! it is probably safe to say that sony has a huge advantage here and will keep it over the next generations. though fuji is improving they are still behind and I am not confident they will close the gap. to sony could be the ideal system to tiptoe into bleeding edge AF tracking.

Panasonic

They are the underdog in the FF territory. normally I would love to give them a try but used bodies are not really cheaper than the competition. then there AF is even worse than the one from fujifilm, so I am not sure if that would pair so well.

Lens selection is also not that great if I rule out the super expensice leica lenses.

So I wonder if there are any people out here who have been asking the same question or are even running a two-system strategy??

I originally came from Nikon FF when I started using Fuji in 2013 (really??). So when I originally kept Nikon for a while I always had my eyes on other systems as well:

• Micro Four Thirds: first the LX100 then the GX8 and then the Pen-F. Gave up on that system because IQ and colours let me down. No regrets.
  • SONY RX1, then RX1r and now RX1RII: An IQ power house, on the DX0 website still in the top 10 of all cameras. Many downsides, battery not good, but even though the RX1RII is a 2016 camera, face and also eye AF actually works! IQ of the RX1RII is sensational!
  • SONY A7III: not a bad camera but never really worked for me, felt heavy and the colours were ever so slightly off for my liking. AF excellent. REALLY good, great even.
  • SONY A7C: works on many levels, the AF is sensational, had the eye AF set to "responsive" and thought: man, this is good ... until I found out it is actually the weakest setting! Lock-on is the highest where the AF seems to have a fishhook in the person's - or animal's - eye, tagging a fishing line, never let go. Size and new colour works well for me.
  • SIGMA Contemporary and latest SONY lenses all have aperture rings! A BIG one for me as it means that the SONY's work almost the same way as I use Fuji. I hardly ever set shutter speed manually so never felt the need for a separate wheel there. Neither Nikon nor Canon have this!

So, coming to your original question: I think that SONY is not as bad a system as some make it out to be and in my case complements Fuji in an excellent way:

For all things fast-AF I now use the A7C with either the SIGMAs 35/2 or 65/2 or the Zeiss 16-35/4.

For scenarios where extremely high ISO is important I use the A7C. I mean, come on, the auto-ISO I found was set to 50-204.800. But clean I find the images to be "only" up to 12.800 or 25.600 depending on material.

For high resolution images I use the RX1RII. 43Mpx is not the highest on Earth, but quite high up there!

Thought about the Z6/7 but don't like the memory card "issue" and the fact that lenses are expensive and don't have aperture rings. Canon? Nope ... not my cup of tea, never was.

A "frame, fire - and foget" affair with the A7C

X-Pro3 static enough, no problem!

A7C + SIGMA 65/2

X-T20 + 56/1.2

Both Auckland skyline pics I have posted in full resolution. The 56/1.2 image was taken at F8 (diffraction?). Naturally the 56/1.2 has a narrower field of view, but you might still get an idea as to how FF versus APS-C renders. Fuji vs SONY ... haha.

For me (in quotation marks!!) the combo works well.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Sony a7R IIIA Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +9 more
enigmatico Regular Member • Posts: 374

I’ve tried several camera systems and settled now with Fuji X, GFX and Sony. I use the GFX mainly these days not because I need those high res files but simply because I love the look of them.

I use Sony when I need fast AF or to mount my collection of manual focus lenses onto.

Sony gets a hard time for being an electronics company and not a thoroughbred camera company; but their products work for me. Compact in size, relatively lightweight and mind-blowing tracking AF.

enigmatico's gear list:enigmatico's gear list
Leica Q2 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-H1 +12 more
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

I used to use m43 which was good for many reasons but changed to fuji xe3 which is nice for its compact size and lenses and didnt cost much.

I've also got an a7r2 for landscapes, although the camera will do anything and the iq is top notch when processed, i also pair it with the fantastic canon ef 70-200 f4 isii which is a great lens. af not great but still seems more accurate than my xe3...

Sony system has some great lenses and AF. Its an old school frame of mind thinking they are just an electronic company as they have really lead the way in mirrorless and cameras in many categories with canon and nikon playing catchup. ergonomics not the greatest but neither are fuji..

Not used nikon but i had my eyes on the canon r6  and RF cameras and lenses untill the prices were revealed which are terribly expensive imo. would have been great with my 70-200. of well... decided to stick with sony and also like the compact nature of some of the lenses and cameras..

That brings me to the true powerhouse camera!!

The Ricoh GRIII

Love this camera for its pocketability and joy to use. its my primary camera really but wasnt planned that way. Also has stabilisation. I like that i can take it with me anywhere with no plan to take photos and then just find something i like and just take a snap, day or night. awesome snap mode aswell.

JamesSt Regular Member • Posts: 211

Ricoh GR III, Lecia Q2M, and Sigma SD1 Merrill. There isn't enough difference between Fuji's APSC and a full frame to justify having two different systems. The Leica is a specialty camera. I still shoot a lot of B/W film so I like having a dedicated B/W digital camera. The Merrill sensor is particularly good for some specific types of photography. Additionally, the Merrill sensor has a specific look that translates extremely well to black and white. Their really isn't another camera like the GR. I also do use a GFX 50R. I basically shoot color on Fuji cameras and B/W on the Leica and Merrill. I would be perfectly happy with Q2M if it was an APSC sensor but it is what it is.  I also recently acquired a Mint SLR 670S.

JamesSt's gear list:JamesSt's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm GF 30mm F3.5 R WR Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 Monochrom Fujifilm GFX 50R +19 more
AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,395

You have your own views on various things, as stated in your OP.

It is not productive to have a debate on personal preferences regarding: brands, budgets, sensor sizes, photographic subjects, intended uses of the produced images, one system vs two systems vs multiple systems, etcetera.

I use Canon, Sony, Fujifilm and Panasonic cameras. Within Fujifilm, in particular, I use various models. What does that have anything to do with anyone?

You can buy new, you can buy used, you can sell, you can trade... No one hanging around in forums can make any suggestions that suit your specific desires. All they can do is tell you what they personally do or not do, for reasons that you do or do not agree with.

Tabonie Junior Member • Posts: 26

Used GFX50R are going at the price of Nikon Z6...size up to MF instead. That is more sensible. Get a 50mm f3.5 which is also dirt cheap.

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 12,077

AshleyMC wrote:

You can buy new, you can buy used, you can sell, you can trade... No one hanging around in forums can make any suggestions that suit your specific desires. All they can do is tell you what they personally do or not do, for reasons that you do or do not agree with.

What's interesting to me is how this thread helps me review my own reasons for staying with Fuji X.  In a previous post I mentioned the Sigma fp L, a very small 60mp full frame camera.

Sure there are other systems out there.  They have various advantages and shortcomings, and all are compromises in some way.  And, so is the Fuji X system.

For me, the combination of a larger than micro-4/3 sensor and smaller than full frame bodies and lenses is pretty compelling.

Yes, the bodies have been growing maybe too much, and so have the lenses, but overall it is still smaller and lighter than full frame while being only slightly larger and heavier than micro-4/3.

My own tendency is to go as small and light as possible, for example the X-E4 with maybe a small third party manual lens.  The X-E4 is still on my "next buy" list.

I can downsize a fp L image to 1/4 original pixels and get a 15mp resultant image.  On the other hand I can do the same to a Fuji image and end up with only 6mp.  These are the sorts of tradeoffs I have to consider, and they are most likely not anything like the issues others will mull over, and I agree it doesn't seem like much gets debated.  But, I'm now taking another look at Fuji and asking myself if I really want all that extra resolution.  It's starting to look like I'll be staying with Fuji.  What I have with my Fuji images is pretty good considering my shooting tastes and postprocessing tolerances.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +12 more
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,116

DuncanIdaho wrote:

Would you like to tell us first what are u looking from a FF system? More DOF? Cleaner ISO? I have never tested a FF camera, but so far I am not convinced that they that much better...

Canon RF

I think they are maybe the best in terms of technical specs, performance and ergonomics. However, I don't like their DSLR like bodies at all. Only exception is the RP because its small and light

Nikon Z

• better grip
  • IBIS

If I were to move to FF, Z6 or Z5 would be my choice. I like their bodies better although size and weight are still too much for me.

Sony

• has IBIS

Totally uninspiring to use...

Panasonic

I used to have Panasonic m43 and P&S cameras and they were great. Good build quality, good ergos, nothing to complain about. Their rangefinder cameras such as the GX7 and GX8 were really great. The smaller S5 looks interesting and I wouldn't worry so much about the AF. Their SAF was among the best, they had Eye/Face AF much earlier than Fuji did and CAF shouldn't be that worse than Fuji...

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads