Diagonal Streaks In Sky on Select Shots (NOT Posterization)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Platographer Contributing Member • Posts: 801
Diagonal Streaks In Sky on Select Shots (NOT Posterization)

Some, but not all, of my photos shot with my Sony A7Riv and Tamron 28-200mm on a particular weekend show diagonal lines across the sky. Below is a 4MP exported jpeg from Lightroom of a photo with this problem. The sky looks like someone brushed diagonal lines and randomly darkened or lightened the exposure of each one a little bit. I cannot reproduce this effect or find it in photos other than those I took that weekend (I didn't examine every single photo I took with this lens though).

The photos with this problem also had awful concentric rings show up when lens correction was applied. I posted that problem in the beginner's forum and people who replied helped me figure out it was lens correction that was causing that issue. I still have no idea why. But these diagonal lines persist even when lens correction is turned off, so they are a separate problem. I'm very frustrated because this is a weird, random, and mysterious problem that can ruin otherwise good photos without any notice.

Since the lines showed up in normal exposures too, there is no way it has anything to do with the long exposure. Also, the problem is not posterization because the lines are just as visible in Lightroom when developing the raw file as they are in the exported jpeg. I appreciate any help.

Nusratty Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Diagonal Streaks In Sky on Select Shots (NOT Posterization)

Given the exposure time of 195 secs i would expect the sky to have streaks in it due to cloud movement. These are the only streaking effects i can see

Handsome90 Contributing Member • Posts: 640

Platographer wrote:

Some, but not all, of my photos shot with my Sony A7Riv and Tamron 28-200mm on a particular weekend show diagonal lines across the sky. Below is a 4MP exported jpeg from Lightroom of a photo with this problem. The sky looks like someone brushed diagonal lines and randomly darkened or lightened the exposure of each one a little bit. I cannot reproduce this effect or find it in photos other than those I took that weekend (I didn't examine every single photo I took with this lens though).

The photos with this problem also had awful concentric rings show up when lens correction was applied. I posted that problem in the beginner's forum and people who replied helped me figure out it was lens correction that was causing that issue. I still have no idea why. But these diagonal lines persist even when lens correction is turned off, so they are a separate problem. I'm very frustrated because this is a weird, random, and mysterious problem that can ruin otherwise good photos without any notice.

Since the lines showed up in normal exposures too, there is no way it has anything to do with the long exposure. Also, the problem is not posterization because the lines are just as visible in Lightroom when developing the raw file as they are in the exported jpeg. I appreciate any help.

Nice photo! Did you use any polariser or ND filters?

OP Platographer Contributing Member • Posts: 801

Nusratty wrote:

Given the exposure time of 195 secs i would expect the sky to have streaks in it due to cloud movement. These are the only streaking effects i can see

As I said, it is not due to the long exposure. Below is a very short (1/100 second) exposure and the same type of diagonal exposure-changing lines are present through the sky going from upper right to lower left (or vice versa). As with the long exposure shot, this issue is present in Lightroom when processing the uncompressed raw file, so it also does not have anything to do with jpeg or any other compression.

Handsome90 wrote:

Nice photo! Did you use any polariser or ND filters?

Thanks! I used either a 15-stop ND filter or a 10-stop plus 3-stop ND filters, but not a CP. I returned the CP that came with my ND filter kit because it had scratches and I had not yet received the replacement when I took these photos. I like how it turned out except for those mysterious diagonal streaks going through the sky. It's always something.

MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,421

I had a hard time seeing the effect you are talking about in the long exposure shot but it is more noticeable in the second shot you posted.  It kind of looks like a very faded jet contrail in the picture.

If it were me I would take some identical(ish) sky shots with the Tamron and another lens then compare the two.  If they both have the faint diagonal light stripe then I would suspect the camera.  If only the Tamron does this then I would expect the lens.  Maybe the lens has an internal reflection that is causing this light streak?

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +12 more

MikeInOr wrote:

I had a hard time seeing the effect you are talking about in the long exposure shot but it is more noticeable in the second shot you posted. It kind of looks like a very faded jet contrail in the picture.

If it were me I would take some identical(ish) sky shots with the Tamron and another lens then compare the two. If they both have the faint diagonal light stripe then I would suspect the camera. If only the Tamron does this then I would expect the lens. Maybe the lens has an internal reflection that is causing this light streak?

None of the similar photos taken with my Sony 16-35mm GM had this problem. But not all of the photos taken with the Tamron had this problem either. What issue with the lens or camera could cause this? Would internal reflections really create these lines? It's not just the one line--there are several around it. Some are dark and others are light, as if someone brushed straight diagonal lines in the sky and changed the exposure on them.

Snowfella
Snowfella Senior Member • Posts: 1,334

Looking at the shadows on the pier I’d guess the sun was up and to the right, guess you are seeing shadows from clouds overhead making streaks i  the sky.

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +4 more

Snowfella wrote:

Looking at the shadows on the pier I’d guess the sun was up and to the right, guess you are seeing shadows from clouds overhead making streaks i the sky.

Yes, that is where the sun was in the sky. Why would this create the streaks? Is that to be expected? Why did only some photos taken that afternoon of that subject have the streaks? Could differences in cloud formation and cloud cover in front of the sun have made a difference? I recall the sun not having much cloud cover most of the afternoon, if not the entire afternoon.

CarlitosM Regular Member • Posts: 309

Did you try cleaning the front element and filters? Looks like smears on either of those to me.

CarlitosM's gear list:CarlitosM's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III

CarlitosM wrote:

Did you try cleaning the front element and filters? Looks like smears on either of those to me.

The filters and front element were clean. However, my ND filters seem to miraculously get some streaking when I use them, seemingly by rubbing together in the holder. But, if that caused this, wouldn't the streaking on the filters align with the streaking pattern in the sky? The streaks the filters get are not diagonal lines. Also, why would it appear on some photos like the one I posted a few replies above of the same scene that I took without filters while also not appearing on some photos taken with filters? I think that can be ruled out as the cause, but I appreciate the idea.

CaliforniaDave Senior Member • Posts: 2,095

Platographer wrote:

CarlitosM wrote:

The filters and front element were clean. However, my ND filters seem to miraculously get some streaking when I use them, seemingly by rubbing together in the holder. But, if that caused this, wouldn't the streaking on the filters align with the streaking pattern in the sky? The streaks the filters get are not diagonal lines. Also, why would it appear on some photos like the one I posted a few replies above of the same scene that I took without filters while also not appearing on some photos taken with filters? I think that can be ruled out as the cause, but I appreciate the idea.

It would be reasonable to remove all filters and see if you can reproduce the streaks without them, to completely rule out the filters.

CaliforniaDave wrote:

Platographer wrote:

CarlitosM wrote:

It would be reasonable to remove all filters and see if you can reproduce the streaks without them, to completely rule out the filters.

As I said in the post you quoted, the second photo was taken without filters.

Platographer wrote:

CaliforniaDave wrote:

Platographer wrote:

CarlitosM wrote:

Sorry, I missed that. Although I copied your  quote, I was actually thinking about your post with the actual second picture in it, in which you seemed to be saying you had used a filter.

Did you shoot both RAW and JPEG when you took the picture? And, if so, did the JPEG have the streaks? If you have not shot both RAW and JPEG together, it might be useful to do so to see if the streaks are in the camera produced JPEG or are a result of processing the RAW. Does the Tamron 28-200 have the latest firmware?

Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 8,842

The streaks corresponds to the shadow areas in the foregrond of the photo. Same sun angle. So most likely sun rays trough some small clouds towards the sun.

Guess you do not see the rays in pictures taken under similar conditions but on a different time and place.

CarlitosM Regular Member • Posts: 309

CaliforniaDave wrote:

Platographer wrote:

CaliforniaDave wrote:

Platographer wrote:

CarlitosM wrote:

Sorry, I missed that. Although I copied your quote, I was actually thinking about your post with the actual second picture in it, in which you seemed to be saying you had used a filter.

Did you shoot both RAW and JPEG when you took the picture? And, if so, did the JPEG have the streaks? If you have not shot both RAW and JPEG together, it might be useful to do so to see if the streaks are in the camera produced JPEG or are a result of processing the RAW. Does the Tamron 28-200 have the latest firmware?

It's not obvious from the second image/description that there were no filters used. Some people always use protective/UV filters.

As you got it only with one lens but not the other, it seems more likely a lens than a camera issue. However, firmware/lens correction artefacts are usually not linear. Neither are internal reflections. The shorter exposure on which the streaks are more obvious was taken at a slightly smaller aperture. Is there a correlation between intensity of the streaks and the f number? Were the shots with the 16-35 taken at lower f numbers? Maybe you have something on the sensor from a not that well performed previous cleaning. I would clean lens and sensor and then see whether the streaks are coming back.

CarlitosM's gear list:CarlitosM's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III

Also, was the lens hood on or off of the lens might be relevant.

Tristimulus wrote:

The streaks corresponds to the shadow areas in the foregrond of the photo. Same sun angle. So most likely sun rays trough some small clouds towards the sun.

Guess you do not see the rays in pictures taken under similar conditions but on a different time and place.

And the specific post processing applied could have exaggerated the streaks, making them more visible.

Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 8,842

CaliforniaDave wrote:

Tristimulus wrote:

And the specific post processing applied could have exaggerated the streaks, making them more visible.

Exactly!

aSevenArr
aSevenArr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,073

Nusratty wrote:

I see what looks like color noise in horizontal bands in your posted shot.

I also see similar circular "under exposure" bands in some of your other shots.

Yes I wouldn't be happy with these results either.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +13 more
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,274

Tristimulus wrote:

The rapture?!

And you've been left behind?!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads