Bird Photography with the GFX 100S

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Joe Colson
Joe Colson Senior Member • Posts: 1,835
Bird Photography with the GFX 100S

I did some experiments yesterday using the 100S. I wanted to see whether I could capture the songbirds that visit our feeders. I had previously done it using the Leica SL2 and the Nikon Z7. The GFX is not advertised as a wildlife camera. It’s not intended for action or fast moving subjects, according to many reviewers. Today I proved to myself that I could use it the way I used the earlier cameras.

The detail is incredible. The DOF is very, very thin. I may have to go to f/11. Even cropped, I end up with a 30-60 megapixel file which can easily be printed very large. So now I’m more confident in the camera and how I can use it.

Joe

-- hide signature --
 Joe Colson's gear list:Joe Colson's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +6 more
Fujifilm GFX 100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Laci55
Laci55 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,303
Re: Bird Photography with the GFX 100S

Very good captures! have You tried to shoot wide open too???

-- hide signature --

'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...' Kipling
www.imaginestudio.se

Laci55's gear list:Laci55's gear list
Canon EOS R Hasselblad X1D II 50C Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z7 II Fujifilm GFX 100S +20 more
avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,575

We need a 2x converter for that 250MM lens.  It can handle it.

avalvo's gear list:avalvo's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100
SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany Regular Member • Posts: 204
Incredible Detail Re: Bird Photography with the GFX 100S

Joe Colson wrote:

I did some experiments yesterday using the 100S.

The detail is incredible, I end up with a 30-60 megapixel file which can easily be printed very large.

Joe

Brilliant Joe.

There was a thread about Missing over 250mm for nature wildlife.

Forumees wittering on about using xt or a9, a1 or dslr or whatever smaller format missed the point that I thought was easy to understand :

It's the incredible detail available from 100s is the reason to photograph nature wildlife with 100s as you so brilliantly observed.

SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany wrote:

100mp of detail is the reason for me to want to photograph nature wildlife with 100s.

Whether it's not actually 100mp of detail is neither here nor there for me.

I want to see in Print Life sized lion tiger hippo rhino alligator such that it takes my breath away and I can observe in a way I couldn't otherwise.

SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany's gear list:SeeingSomeThingsMissingMany's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Olympus E-PL8 Huawei P20 Pro
Joe Colson
OP Joe Colson Senior Member • Posts: 1,835
Re: Incredible Detail Re: Bird Photography with the GFX 100S

Thanks for your comments. I haven't shot the combo wide open because the depth of field is so shallow at short distances. I'm only about 7-10' away from the birds. Nonetheless, the detail is outstanding and the ability to crop gives me the equivalent of a much longer lens. More to come.

Joe

-- hide signature --
 Joe Colson's gear list:Joe Colson's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +6 more
goodbokeh
goodbokeh Senior Member • Posts: 1,145

Those are impressive photos Joe. I'm new to the GFX system with my 100S. My wife is an avid birder and has the Canon R5 with 100-500 and 800/11. I try to keep up with my X-T4 with XF 100-400 but it's tough. I didn't think for birding the 100S, even with GF 250 & 1.4X, had any chance at all. At least for a skilled photographer like you there is...

goodbokeh's gear list:goodbokeh's gear list
Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3 Leica M10 Monochrom Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm GFX 100S +1 more
Mikel10
Mikel10 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,078

For over a year, I have been using the GFX100 with the 250mm + 1.4 TC to photograph birds and others in my backyard. Why don’t you share these images on the Nature on Wildlife Photography forum? I could use the MF company.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Mikel10's gear list:Mikel10's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 250mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads