*** 25 April 2021 - 2nd May 2021 - Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,042
Re: The Royal Station at Wolferton...

Very cool shots and place, Karen and Phil.

BTW, I think it is both unusual and great that you two share this hobby.  Nancy and I share many things - love for the dogs, backwoods living, upland bird hunting, sailing, etc.; and I feel very lucky in that regard.  While she likes my images and is glad for the enjoyment I get from photography, it is one of the few activities we do not share.

Here is the least royal train station ever.  It is in my tiny home town of Birdsboro, PA.  The town pretty much collapsed into mini-rustbelt poverty when the only employer, Birdsboro Steel, closed in the early 1960’s; and has been going downhill every since.  The surrounding countryside is beautiful; the town not so much.

When I was a little kid in the early 1950’s, I would ride the train from here to Philadelphia to see the Franklin museum and such.  Imagine a little kid doing that by himself today,

Anyway, here’s the old train station, gradually crumbling.

Greg

S--
Check out my photos at: https://www.flickr.com/gp/137747053@N07/4M38jjtbelt

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
PMUK
PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,991

Birddogman wrote:

Very cool shots and place, Karen and Phil.

BTW, I think it is both unusual and great that you two share this hobby. Nancy and I share many things - love for the dogs, backwoods living, upland bird hunting, sailing, etc.; and I feel very lucky in that regard. While she likes my images and is glad for the enjoyment I get from photography, it is one of the few activities we do not share.

Here is the least royal train station ever. It is in my tiny home town of Birdsboro, PA. The town pretty much collapsed into mini-rustbelt poverty when the only employer, Birdsboro Steel, closed in the early 1960’s; and has been going downhill every since. The surrounding countryside is beautiful; the town not so much.

When I was a little kid in the early 1950’s, I would ride the train from here to Philadelphia to see the Franklin museum and such. Imagine a little kid doing that by himself today,

Anyway, here’s the old train station, gradually crumbling.

Greg

S--
Check out my photos at: https://www.flickr.com/gp/137747053@N07/4M38jjtbelt

Hi Greg,

Cheers!  Yes it was a fascinating place to see - we'd never have known it was there, but we met with some friends who live locally and they showed us on the way back from a walk.

I'm very lucky to have Karen as my friend, soul-mate and wife.  She's a great photographer!

Now that, is one amazingly photogenic station!  Absolutely terrific.

Phil

PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more
hwvlover
OP hwvlover Veteran Member • Posts: 6,709
Re: ISO 1600 with the M4

Reto B wrote:

It's a nice photo, David, but as Dak already mentioned its only great at article scale, but opened at original size the quality of the PureRAW/Photoshop Elements file is not convincing. From my experience with the RX10M3, this small sensor is only good up to ISO 800 for photos with such fine details. Otherwise I like the shot.

I once made a shot at ISO 800 with the RX10M3 and I recently converted it with PureRaw and optimised it as well as I could because I love the shot. The result is at the edge of being usable if I take the version down scaled to 4k (but the size should probably be reduced even a bit more):

Cheers,
Reto

Thank you Reto and I agree with you.  I was(and am) testing the Pure RAW software, I never normally go above 800 on the M4. 
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.
My intention is to die young as late as possible.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
hwvlover
Re: ISO 1600 with the M4

Dak on cam wrote:

hwvlover wrote:

Poor light necessitating high ISO gave me the chance to experiment with DxOPureRAW which I am trying out.
First up the SOOC fine jpeg (I am shooting raw + jpeg).

Ok, here I have the impression that the high ISO put enough noise on the sensor that the autofocus ended up with definite front focus. That leaves a bit less of detail to work with than if the focus would have been spot-on.

Second the jpeg produced after PureRAW (and only that) has done its stuff to the raw file.

Third. After playing with the PureRAW DNG file (all 85mb) in Photoshop Elements (Unsharpmask, shadows/highlights and crop) the resultant jpeg,

Opinions sought and welcomed.
And, by the way, it is a fledgling dunnock.

At article scale, the result is great. At 1:1 the amount of repairs possible is limited. The noise reduction does a good job, but in combination with what I think is the not-quite-perfect focus, the amount of reconstruction possible is limited and a good amount of structure ends up being lost. Again, at article resolution nothing to complain but, well, 85MB is probably excessive for storing it...

Thank you Dak, it is just an experiment and I agree with both you and Reto.  And yes those DNG files are somewhat intimidating (to say the least).

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

hwvlover

PMUK wrote:

The Royal Station at Wolferton was used by various Kings and Queens and members of high society attending the nearby royal residence at Sandringham Estate until 1966. (The line was closed in 1969 following the Beeching Review of the National Rail Network). The station and signal box still remain, but are now private residences. The station has been restored by the current owner to reflect its former status, with viewings possible by prior appointment. Photography of the site from the exterior is 'expressly' permitted.

We passed the site during a recent trip to the area in ‘Frank’ (our camper van). The images were taken by Karen, then processed/ fiddled around with by me.

Further details of The Royal Station can be found by clicking Here .

Phil and Karen

Thank you P&K.  I like them but I agree with Dak, to me they are a bit like a cross between b&w and sepia...but that is just my eyesight which is a tad knackered.

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

PMUK
PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,991

hwvlover wrote:

PMUK wrote:

The Royal Station at Wolferton was used by various Kings and Queens and members of high society attending the nearby royal residence at Sandringham Estate until 1966. (The line was closed in 1969 following the Beeching Review of the National Rail Network). The station and signal box still remain, but are now private residences. The station has been restored by the current owner to reflect its former status, with viewings possible by prior appointment. Photography of the site from the exterior is 'expressly' permitted.

We passed the site during a recent trip to the area in ‘Frank’ (our camper van). The images were taken by Karen, then processed/ fiddled around with by me.

Further details of The Royal Station can be found by clicking Here .

Phil and Karen

Thank you P&K. I like them but I agree with Dak, to me they are a bit like a cross between b&w and sepia...but that is just my eyesight which is a tad knackered.

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

Hi David,

Seems a consensus is forming. These were edited for my friends to peruse on FB (after which they’re destined for the Trash Can - our versions being standard images). I was aiming to give them a touch of age, but with enough detail to show the station/ signal box.

In being caught between playing a straight bat and not overcooking them age-wise, they’re neither one thing or the other - partly my intent I suppose, but as I said to Dak, point taken.

I will definitely have a go at fully ageing them once I get into some clean processing space.

I’m still trying to decide between colour, or B&W, for our home slideshow versions - I may fade from colour to B&W, then aged ones * (or visa-versa), but the frames won’t be used.

(* Not for all the images though as it will bore us all to death ).

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, all advice taken onboard and appreciated!

Phil

PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more
KBTinto Senior Member • Posts: 2,984
Re: *** 25 April 2021 - 2nd May 2021 - Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Central Park pics

Looks like it's saying "Did you bring the peanuts?"

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
hwvlover

KBTinto wrote:

Central Park pics

Thank you KB, nice shots and the girl with the robin(?) is a sweet moment captured. 
Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

KBTinto Senior Member • Posts: 2,984

hwvlover wrote:

KBTinto wrote:

Central Park pics

Thank you KB, nice shots and the girl with the robin(?) is a sweet moment captured.
Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

Thank you, David.  I think it is a robin.

KB

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Senior Member • Posts: 4,346
Closed
-- hide signature --

Courtney

Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Apple iPhone X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads