*** 25 April 2021 - 2nd May 2021 - Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Reto B
Reto B Senior Member • Posts: 1,969
A not so small black bird...

While reprocessing photos I came across this blackbird. This was in Zurich back in 2005:

I was able to get very close. David's photo of the little brown bird is a similar kind of shot and reminded me of the above one.

Cheers,
Reto

Reto B's gear list:Reto B's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209
Re: *** 25 April 2021 - 2nd May 2021 - Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Our two horses waiting patiently for their "mom" to bring food.

RX100 VI, Capture One for Sony, Topaz DeNoise AI.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF10 Sony a7R II
hwvlover
OP hwvlover Veteran Member • Posts: 6,628
Re: A not so small black bird...

Reto B wrote:

While reprocessing photos I came across this blackbird. This was in Zurich back in 2005:

I was able to get very close. David's photo of the little brown bird is a similar kind of shot and reminded me of the above one.

Cheers,
Reto

Blackbirds are very attractive and your photograph captures lots of the feather textures, very nice Reto.  And I have just been watching a pair having a "discussion" here with the female clearly saying "not a chance" to the male.

Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.
My intention is to die young as late as possible.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
hwvlover

ChristianHass wrote:

Little and large, so sweet.
And Christian, for future reference, as it says in my preamble,  we do encourage contributors to comment on at least one other photograph before posting their own.

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

Reto B
Re: A not so small black bird...

hwvlover wrote:

Reto B wrote:

Cheers,
Reto

Blackbirds are very attractive and your photograph captures lots of the feather textures, very nice Reto.

Thank you, David!

And I have just been watching a pair having a "discussion" here with the female clearly saying "not a chance" to the male.

Send them machos to the desert

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
KBTinto Senior Member • Posts: 2,836

I went back to Central Park a few days later.

I was going to upload more but as usual it is taking so long for each image to upload, 5 minutes at least, so I'll stop here. It's been like that these past few months with slow upload and where the internet connection also cuts off and everything I've uploaded/written but not posted yet gets lost. Very very annoying because I lose my train of thought and have to start from scratch. Lost quite a few times and I've just adjusted to limiting my responses to few words and small quantity of uploads (1 meg max each probably)

KB

Encountered the dreaded internet connection message twice ... good thing it was not during an upload (DP review does not let me cancel when uploading a post) .  Got reconnected after 3 tries, posted and now editing it to put some more sentences in.

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
hwvlover

KBTinto wrote:

I was going to upload more but as usual it is taking so long for each image to upload, 5 minutes at least, so I'll stop here. It's been like that these past few months with slow upload and where the internet connection also cuts off and everything I've uploaded/written but not posted yet gets lost. Very very annoying because I lose my train of thought and have to start from scratch. Lost quite a few times and I've just adjusted to limiting my responses to few words and small quantity of uploads (1 meg max each probably)

KB

Encountered the dreaded internet connection message twice ... good thing it was not during an upload (DP review does not let me cancel when uploading a post) . Got reconnected after 3 tries, posted and now editing it to put some more sentences in.

Really lovely colourful images KB, thank you.
What is the problem with your internet connection?  I guess it is something you pay for so what should you get as opposed to what you do get?

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

Re: Nostalgia number II: Re-processed photos from 2004-2009

Reto B wrote:

Meanwhile I re-processed photos from Zurich where I lived for many years. It's really worth to re-process older photos because modern software has become very powerful.

For the entire series of latest Zurich photos please go here . I will certainly add more in the coming days and weeks. I show images from the older and from the modern parts of Zurich, including the zoo.

The "Schipfe", an old and beautiful complex of buildings.

The famous Limmat Quai.

In the narrow streets of the old town.

In a more modern part, above and along the Limmat.

The Grossmünster

All the best,
Reto

Looks like a lovely city, might be worth a visit once the world returns to normal.

-- hide signature --
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,859

KBTinto wrote:

KB

Encountered the dreaded internet connection message twice ... good thing it was not during an upload (DP review does not let me cancel when uploading a post) . Got reconnected after 3 tries, posted and now editing it to put some more sentences in.

Goodness.  I’d expect that sort of thing in the wired, remote places we go, but not in NYC.  The big hurricane in 2019 (Dorian) destroyed so much here on Ocracoke that rebuilding of all infrastructure was needed.  Internet here actually isn’t too bad now - used to be awful.

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Birddogman
To follow-up with Courtney, Reto and Bill again:

The house that looked like it was raised up on pallets has now had its wooden posts installed.  There are maybe 10”x10” treated lumber and maybe 15’ long.  They are set into the sand by careful hand work with a high pressure water “drill” one at at time.  Maybe 2/3’s of their length is buried.  Hard work!

Now, I’m guessing they will be cut off to a perfectly uniform length, braces/beams will be built on top to hold the house; and then the house will be lowered down on to them.

Many structures here are going through this process, but we walk l by this particular house several times a day from our camp, so more reports later, if you are interested.  There is nothing like this where we live.  I find it fascinating what little, soft, delicate human beings can accomplish.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
theironmadchen
theironmadchen Contributing Member • Posts: 506

ChristianHass wrote:

Love your horses! What breed are they? I also use the RX100 VI to photograph my horses

Cathy

theironmadchen's gear list:theironmadchen's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X100V
theironmadchen
theironmadchen Contributing Member • Posts: 506
What I did on Earth Day

I hung out with my main horse Skuggalisa, of course!

Retired gelding is wondering if he can join Skuggs

View: original size

It's drought time in California again. Grass is already turning yellow.

Skugg's mane was blowing around in the wind. Tried to be arty here.

The RX100M6 is not the best birding camera, but I do like trying to capture them!

Cathy

theironmadchen's gear list:theironmadchen's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X100V

theironmadchen wrote:

ChristianHass wrote:

Love your horses! What breed are they? I also use the RX100 VI to photograph my horses

Cathy

The small one is a shetland pony, and the larger an icelandic. My wife rides the icelandic and we have the pony for company. We take them for walks together, and my wife does ground training with both of them.

-- hide signature --
Reto B
Re: Nostalgia number II: Re-processed photos from 2004-2009

ChristianHass wrote:

Looks like a lovely city, might be worth a visit once the world returns to normal.

If the world ever returns to normal I encourage you to do so

Cheers,
Reto

Reto B

Thanks for posting these nice images, KB! Central park looks almost the same as when I was there in the early seventies, but the skyline has drasticly changed.

What a bummer that you have such a bad Internet connection in NYC! I live up in the remote mountains and can easily post 10 images (or more, but not allowed) without having to wait. One image (4k resolution) takes a few seconds...

Best wishes,
Reto

hwvlover
Re: What I did on Earth Day

theironmadchen wrote:

I hung out with my main horse Skuggalisa, of course!

Retired gelding is wondering if he can join Skuggs

It's drought time in California again. Grass is already turning yellow.

Skugg's mane was blowing around in the wind. Tried to be arty here.

The RX100M6 is not the best birding camera, but I do like trying to capture them!

Cathy

Nothing better than spending time with a splendid creature Cathy.
One of my extended family farms.  They bought a couple of Shetland mares last summer...you can probably guess the rest, the family of two shetlands is now four.  This was the first foal (not my pics).

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

Reto B
Re: To follow-up with Courtney, Reto and Bill again:

Birddogman wrote:

The house that looked like it was raised up on pallets has now had its wooden posts installed. There are maybe 10”x10” treated lumber and maybe 15’ long. They are set into the sand by careful hand work with a high pressure water “drill” one at at time. Maybe 2/3’s of their length is buried. Hard work!

Now, I’m guessing they will be cut off to a perfectly uniform length, braces/beams will be built on top to hold the house; and then the house will be lowered down on to them.

Many structures here are going through this process, but we walk l by this particular house several times a day from our camp, so more reports later, if you are interested. There is nothing like this where we live. I find it fascinating what little, soft, delicate human beings can accomplish.

Thank you for this update, Greg. I guess it's back to pile dwelling, which works as well as it did thousands of years ago. There once were extensive pile dwellings at the shores of the lake of Zurich.

All the best,
Reto

Reto B
Re: What I did on Earth Day

What a beautiful little horse, Cathy! You are lucky to have such nice company.

Cheers,
Reto

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,370

Reto B wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

The house that looked like it was raised up on pallets has now had its wooden posts installed. There are maybe 10”x10” treated lumber and maybe 15’ long. They are set into the sand by careful hand work with a high pressure water “drill” one at at time. Maybe 2/3’s of their length is buried. Hard work!

Now, I’m guessing they will be cut off to a perfectly uniform length, braces/beams will be built on top to hold the house; and then the house will be lowered down on to them.

Many structures here are going through this process, but we walk l by this particular house several times a day from our camp, so more reports later, if you are interested. There is nothing like this where we live. I find it fascinating what little, soft, delicate human beings can accomplish.

Thank you for this update, Greg. I guess it's back to pile dwelling, which works as well as it did thousands of years ago. There once were extensive pile dwellings at the shores of the lake of Zurich.

All the best,
Reto

If it's good enough for Venice...

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Birddogman

Dak on cam wrote:

Reto B wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

All the best,
Reto

If it's good enough for Venice...

The Venice Plan doesn’t work so well.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads