Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,451
Re: A profusion of roses

MichaelSolna wrote:

Dick Barbour wrote:

Reto B wrote:

Dick Barbour wrote:

They're looking very nice at my back door.

Dick

Well done. I like the first two. The third one is a bit strange in my eyes...

Cheers,
Reto

I think that's why I like it. I'm a little strange myself.

Thanks,

Dick

I want to call it art. I like it. (Am I strange too?)

Maybe we're just a little different.? 

I'm trying to print this, but having a hard time with the intense reds; they look a lot better on the screen than in the print.

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Sony a6500 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
KBTinto Senior Member • Posts: 2,995
Re: Nostalgia number II: Re-processed photos from 2004-2009

Your nice pics made me wish I had purchased a digital camera back then or even earlier!

KB

Sorry forgot to comment first!

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
theironmadchen
theironmadchen Contributing Member • Posts: 532

Fantastic photos as usual, Reto!

From a learning perspective, I'm interested to see how you reprocessed your photos - like what you decided to do to improve the originals. Possible for you to share one before and after?

Thank you!

Cathy

theironmadchen's gear list:theironmadchen's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X100V
Reto B
Reto B Senior Member • Posts: 2,079

Birddogman wrote:

Great shots, Reto.

Thank you very much, Greg!

Once again, your pics bring back memories of living in Europe many years ago.

Yes, and to me it brings back the memories of living in Zurich until five years ago

All my images of those days are, of course, prints from film. I didn’t discover digital photography until around 2000 (never looked back once I did!). Those thousands of old prints are in plastic bags and boxes out in the barn. With only a handful of exceptions, I never digitized them. Each time I think about doing that, I am stopped in my tracks by the sheer enormity of the task.

I also have a lot of stuff back from the analog days. I mostly shot diapositives but all this stuff is somewhere in the attic of my ex-wife and I'm not tempted to go there and get it.

But in my case there are only a few hundreds, not thousands, because I never shoot more than I absolutely need to get what I want. Comes to it that I almost never took a camera with me during my almost five years of traveling half the planet. I took a camera  to India where I was for six months, but I only took less than 40 shots during that time...

Best wishes,
Reto

Reto B's gear list:Reto B's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
Reto B

KBTinto wrote:

Your nice pics made me wish I had purchased a digital camera back then or even earlier!

Thank you, KB! The first digital camera that met my demands was the Canon 300D which I bought in 2004. Before that, and of course after my film cameras, I had a Nikon point and shoot but I was not happy with the IQ and didn't keep any photos taken with it. I gave it away after a short time.

KB

Sorry forgot to comment first!

No problem

Cheers,
Reto

Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +8 more
Reto B

theironmadchen wrote:

Fantastic photos as usual, Reto!

Thank you very much, Cathy!

From a learning perspective, I'm interested to see how you reprocessed your photos - like what you decided to do to improve the originals. Possible for you to share one before and after?

My main software is Photoshop/Lightroom. Depending on the file I use either DxO PureRAW (to get rid of noise, get better conversion of the RAW and better optical correction) or the new SuperRes function of Photoshop (for example to get a larger file from 300D or other small RAWs). Additionally I occasionally use DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI from Topaz.

Obviously you need good files to start with. The better the original file the more you can get out of it. Trying to turn s**t into chocolate won't work

The following is a 300D example first processed with Photoshop SuperRes and further adjusted in Lightroom:

Old version

Enlarged and improved version.

The next one from a 500D was improved by using DxO PureRAW to convert the RAW plus some more adjustments in Lightroom:

The old version was not bad...

... but the new one is better

Thank you!

Cathy

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Reto

hwvlover
OP hwvlover Veteran Member • Posts: 6,714
Re: Spring

KBTinto wrote:

Took the subway to Central Park .. got delayed .. here's a pic

Very pretty, thank you KB.
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.
My intention is to die young as late as possible.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV
hwvlover
Re: I like the R1

MichaelSolna wrote:

Apart from speed and screen it´s a great old camera.

Picnic by the sea. Best to eat in the car.

Horses are nice for photos. But they have little patience with the photographer.

Not a camera I know so I had to look it up.  Gosh, it was launched in 2005 and revisited by dpr here  in 2016.

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

Reto B

KBTinto wrote:

That's a very nice, filigrane photo, KB! I also like the colors very much. Definitely a nice result of the tube getting delayed

Cheers,
Reto

Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,503

hwvlover wrote:

MichaelSolna wrote:

Horses are nice for photos. But they have little patience with the photographer.

Not a camera I know so I had to look it up. Gosh, it was launched in 2005 and revisited by dpr here in 2016.

It's probably every few months that I submit a photograph not taken with a DSC-R1 so you are at least acquainted with its output...

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,503

MichaelSolna wrote:

I tend to use fill-in flash with rain or snow.  Makes it look slightly more impressive.

Have the raw?  Could help with the blown cloud.  That would actually be a good use case for a reflector (you don't want flash here both because of not annoying the horse and because it completely messes up the fence strip).

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
MichaelSolna Veteran Member • Posts: 3,421

Dak on cam wrote:

MichaelSolna wrote:

I tend to use fill-in flash with rain or snow. Makes it look slightly more impressive.

Have the raw? Could help with the blown cloud. That would actually be a good use case for a reflector (you don't want flash here both because of not annoying the horse and because it completely messes up the fence strip).

The sky is totally blown out. No info at all in that patch.

The photo itself is a perfect example of a sloppy work. Drive by, and shooting out the passenger side. Let´s not blame the camera it is all about me. And I blame my back. I can hardly walk to the car at the moment.

Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,451
A few from the local pond

The more I use my new RX10iv, the more I like it! Can you say versatile?

Dick

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Sony a6500 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 4,308

So do I, and will keep mine as long as it works. I really like the images that I can make with the R1. Something special about the look.

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more
hwvlover
Little brown bird

First fledgling seen so far this Spring, this one is a dunnock, the UK's little brown bird in the garden.
Taken through glass.

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

hwvlover
Re: A few from the local pond

Dick Barbour wrote:

The more I use my new RX10iv, the more I like it! Can you say versatile?

Dick

You certainly can say versatile Dick, it is a super camera.

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

theironmadchen
theironmadchen Contributing Member • Posts: 532

Reto B wrote:

[...]

My main software is Photoshop/Lightroom. Depending on the file I use either DxO PureRAW (to get rid of noise, get better conversion of the RAW and better optical correction) or the new SuperRes function of Photoshop (for example to get a larger file from 300D or other small RAWs). Additionally I occasionally use DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI from Topaz.

Obviously you need good files to start with. The better the original file the more you can get out of it. Trying to turn s**t into chocolate won't work

Haha, gotcha!

The following is a 300D example first processed with Photoshop SuperRes and further adjusted in Lightroom:

Old version

Enlarged and improved version.

The next one from a 500D was improved by using DxO PureRAW to convert the RAW plus some more adjustments in Lightroom:

The old version was not bad...

... but the new one is better

Thank you!

Cathy

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does help to see what areas you thought needed improvements. The new images look crisper and the colors a bit more saturated. I appreciate your time putting this together!

All the best,
Reto

Thanks,

Cathy

theironmadchen's gear list:theironmadchen's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X100V

hwvlover wrote:

KBTinto wrote:

Very pretty, thank you KB.
Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

Thanks and you're welcome, David.

KB

Nikon Coolpix S6000 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more

Reto B wrote:

KBTinto wrote:

That's a very nice, filigrane photo, KB! I also like the colors very much. Definitely a nice result of the tube getting delayed

Cheers,
Reto

Thank you, Reto.  This was a nice surprise for me too, I have to thank the train delay for this shot.

KB

Reto B
Re: Little brown bird

hwvlover wrote:

First fledgling seen so far this Spring, this one is a dunnock, the UK's little brown bird in the garden.
Taken through glass.

Regards,
David
And I have opted out.

This is a nice little chap

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads