One of the best

Started 8 months ago | User reviews
47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 210
One of the best

The tiny size and weight make this almost self-recommending for full-frame users who want to keep things as small or light as possible.
Optics are superb for all practical purposes, with just a very small corner area of unsharpness and purple fringing against the light taking it below perfection. There are very few photographic situations where this will be remotely perceptible. Right from 2.8 the image has great sharpness and contrast; it's a far more consistent performer than the 50/1.8. 
AF performance is also more consistent than I've ever been able to get on my 6D with any of the three versions of 50/1.8.

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Prime lens • Canon EF • 6310B002
Announced: Jun 8, 2012
47872Mike's score
Average community score
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jamie8848
jamie8848 Junior Member • Posts: 45
Re: One of the best

It is an great, light lens, if ugly, however the minimum focus distance/magnification sucks compared to most other Canon options. The lens has climbed many mountains but fails for small flowers along the way. It was mainly this close focus frustration that turned me away from Nikkor Z lenses and the Nikon Z system.

jamie8848's gear list:jamie8848's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,151

jamie8848 wrote:

It is an great, light lens, if ugly, however the minimum focus distance/magnification sucks compared to most other Canon options. The lens has climbed many mountains but fails for small flowers along the way. It was mainly this close focus frustration that turned me away from Nikkor Z lenses and the Nikon Z system.

The MFD of 30cm is actually very short--almost no non-macro EF lenses can focus that close. The 0.18x magnification does leave something to be desired. EF 50mm F1.8 STM is marginally better in this respect at 0.21x, and EF 35mm F2 IS is even better at 0.24x.

That said, if I were shopping specifically for a closeup-friendly standard prime for mountain climbing, I'd probably downscale to an EOS M body with an EF-M 28mm Macro STM. If full frame is a requirement, then I'd move to an EOS RP with an RF 35mm F1.8 STM, which is a half-macro.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,917

quiquae wrote:

jamie8848 wrote:

The MFD of 30cm is actually very short--almost no non-macro EF lenses can focus that close. The 0.18x magnification does leave something to be desired. EF 50mm F1.8 STM is marginally better in this respect at 0.21x, and EF 35mm F2 IS is even better at 0.24x.

That said, if I were shopping specifically for a closeup-friendly standard prime for mountain climbing, I'd probably downscale to an EOS M body with an EF-M 28mm Macro STM. If full frame is a requirement, then I'd move to an EOS RP with an RF 35mm F1.8 STM, which is a half-macro.

That's a new term for me, @quiquae.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,151

Dave wrote:

quiquae wrote:

jamie8848 wrote:

The MFD of 30cm is actually very short--almost no non-macro EF lenses can focus that close. The 0.18x magnification does leave something to be desired. EF 50mm F1.8 STM is marginally better in this respect at 0.21x, and EF 35mm F2 IS is even better at 0.24x.

Sorry for the confusion. It's a term that's often used in Japanese photography circles to refer to 1:2 magnification macro lenses like the RF 35mm STM and EF 50mm Compact Macro. I wasn't aware that it isn't commonly used in English until you alerted me.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,312

It's a decent lens, especially if the 35/28mm lenses are big for your purpose, too wide or too expensive. Price is a big advantage.

Unfortunately, some Canon dealers show this as out of stock and some show it as discontinued.

Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,312

quiquae wrote:

an RF 35mm F1.8 STM, which is a half-macro.

Sorry for the confusion. It's a term that's often used in Japanese photography circles to refer to 1:2 magnification macro lenses like the RF 35mm STM and EF 50mm Compact Macro. I wasn't aware that it isn't commonly used in English until you alerted me.

I am hearing that for the first time but I like it.

I had a question on a site recently, asking for a lens that can do "macro larger than 1:1". One of the staff members from the store replied that they have a "1:2" macro, and some responses followed.

That can be utterly confusing for some. What is 1:2 vs. 2:1? "Half-Macro" is very clear.

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,917

Satyaa wrote:

quiquae wrote:

an RF 35mm F1.8 STM, which is a half-macro.

I am hearing that for the first time but I like it.

I had a question on a site recently, asking for a lens that can do "macro larger than 1:1". One of the staff members from the store replied that they have a "1:2" macro, and some responses followed.

That can be utterly confusing for some. What is 1:2 vs. 2:1? "Half-Macro" is very clear.

No need to apologize; I may be the only person on earth who was unfamiliar with the term.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
bogongbreeze Contributing Member • Posts: 826

Satyaa wrote:

It's a decent lens, especially if the 35/28mm lenses are big for your purpose, too wide or too expensive. Price is a big advantage.

Unfortunately, some Canon dealers show this as out of stock and some show it as discontinued.

The OP prompted me to get this lens this week. Thanks @47872Mike.

I found a new one online at a reasonable price and went for it, taking advantage of the five year warranty Canon provides here in Australia. I figured if I was going to get it, now is the time before new stock disappears altogether.

It arrived today. I think I'll enjoy it very much. One of my little film cameras (long since retired) has a 38mm lens.

bogongbreeze's gear list:bogongbreeze's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS 90D +10 more
OP 47872Mike Regular Member • Posts: 210

bogongbreeze wrote:

Satyaa wrote:

The OP prompted me to get this lens this week. Thanks @47872Mike.

I found a new one online at a reasonable price and went for it, taking advantage of the five year warranty Canon provides here in Australia. I figured if I was going to get it, now is the time before new stock disappears altogether.

It arrived today. I think I'll enjoy it very much. One of my little film cameras (long since retired) has a 38mm lens.

I had no idea they were discontinuing it but am pleased I prompted you to get one. I sometimes go out with the 40mm on a 6D and a 50mm on a crop sensor on days when I'm feeling more primey than zoomy!

47872Mike's gear list:47872Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Sony SLT-A37 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads