***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, April 24th - 30th, 2021***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 9,291
Ha Pham: A7C, Trying My Best To Capture Images With Interest and Impact

Ha Pham wrote:

William Curtindale wrote:

I am trying my best to add some creative / artistic touch to my images. At my age (77) and health condition I don't get to travel to far away scenic or exotic lands. So I am limited to working within my local community and trying to make my images interesting. Yep, it's more about composition and content (not about can make a huge print). It's sometimes frustrating but still fun working with my camera and lenses. All images shot between one and ten miles from home.

I love using my A7C with native FE, E APS-C and A-Mount lenses.

C&C appreciated.

I like your photos William. Just take pictures and enjoy the moments.

Ha

Thanks, I definitely enjoy using my A7C but still trying to learn and improve on my skills.

-- hide signature --

I enjoy content, simplicity and light weight: A6500 and A7C w/Sony + Zeiss + G Glass

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7C Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more
Ha Pham Contributing Member • Posts: 526
The Light

The Light

Thanks.

Ha

Ha Pham's gear list:Ha Pham's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD15 Sony a7R IV Sony a7C
William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 9,291
Ha Pham: The Light

Ha Pham wrote:

The Light

Thanks.

Ha

Oh my, how to describe an image like that. Sun behind the clouds and rays falling to the sea. I like the vision of sky, clouds, sun and light.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

I enjoy content, simplicity and light weight: A6500 and A7C w/Sony + Zeiss + G Glass

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7C Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,621
Re: California Native Plants

Gardens are wonderful places to relax from our sometimes hectic lives!

-Richard

Beautiful and informative. Thanks

You are welcome, and thanks for the comment.

- Richard

Stan in NH
Stan in NH Senior Member • Posts: 1,835
Re: Momma and baby Egret

wade maney wrote:

Stan - great shot! This photo also got me wondering - Do both parents feed their young? And I wonder if there is a definitive way to tell a mother egret from a father egret? Either way - excellent photo.

Wade

Thanks,  Wade.  As far as I know, the male is larger than the female, but no way of really knowing unless a mated pair is next to each other.  I have only seen one bird in the nests at any time doing the feeding, so guessing that's the female.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,868
Re: The Light

Ha Pham wrote:

The Light

Thanks.

Ha

This is a beautiful B&W seascape, Ha. But I can appreciate it even more because once again, it shows how well the versatility of our Sigma 60-600mm lenses can be employed for landscapes. Heavy, yes, but very versatile. Thanks for posting this image.

-- hide signature --
 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
spacejemz Regular Member • Posts: 134
Propeller planes with the new A7 RIV

Went to shoot some WWII planes at one of the small local airports in Dallas today...

Realized early on that I couldn't shoot propeller planes with the electronic shutter or the prop gets really bent

Most of the shots were with shutter speed around 1/160 - 1/250 - the B-29 really needed a slower shutter to get good propeller blur...

All of the above shots were on a tripod but I played around with some hand held shots with the 200-600mm lens (and some pretty gustys winds to boot)...here was one of the good ones:

Lighting was pretty terrible overall which I think played a good role in not getting as many keepers as I had hoped for...will keep playing around to see if it gets better though...

spacejemz's gear list:spacejemz's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +3 more
Re: Ha Pham: The Light

Ha Pham wrote:

The Light

Thanks.

Ha

Oh my, how to describe an image like that. Sun behind the clouds and rays falling to the sea. I like the vision of sky, clouds, sun and light.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you William.

Ha

VisionLight wrote:

Ha Pham wrote:

The Light

Thanks.

Ha

This is a beautiful B&W seascape, Ha. But I can appreciate it even more because once again, it shows how well the versatility of our Sigma 60-600mm lenses can be employed for landscapes. Heavy, yes, but very versatile. Thanks for posting this image.

Thank you VisionLight.

Ha

VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,868
Out today with the Sigma 60-600mm on the A7R IV

This Northern Water Snake watched me intently as I tried to find an opening to point my lens through in the deep thick brush above The Pond where it was sunning. Setting the camera to Manual Focus at the MFD did the trick to get this image:

This water snake seemed to be enjoying watching me trying to take its portrait. I like the way the mid day sunlight bounces off The Pond and reflects on the bottom of the snake.

Looking up through the thick canopy, I saw an osprey fly over and hiked up the hills to see where it was headed. Outside the sanctuary, she had built her nest high at the top of a cell tower. So I waited until she showed her head above the nest and caught her as she took flight for another hunting trip over The Pond:

Mama Osprey takes off from her cell tower nest to go hunting for her young. In order to get through all the branches in the way (the dark shadows in the sky), this was also Manual focus.

When leaving the sanctuary, I stopped to check on the young flowering trees we planted a couple of years ago. New emerging buds are always a good subject for the "macro" feature of the Sigma 60-600mm lens:

Cherry Blossoms don't usually open this early in our local climate, but a hardy few have already made an appearance. I had originally set the lens to its 200mm "macro" position, but had to zoom out a little to improve the composition.

Thanks for looking. Comments or questions are always welcome.

-- hide signature --
 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
rogerjosem
OP MOD rogerjosem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,222

Ha Pham wrote:

The Light

Thanks.

Ha

Gorgeous image!!!

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R III Fujifilm GFX 100S Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 +11 more
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,166
Ants

Sometimes, I wish we had thumb-sized ants in the UK, like you lucky folks in hot and tropical places. We have only squitty little ones that run about like demented, err, ants!

Over the years, I've developed a small sub-obsession in capturing good detail in single handheld macro shots of the little blighters. I generally find a spot where they're active, set up a radio-triggered, off camera, diffused flash (or two) nearby then fire away.

These were shot at 3x using an adapted Canon MP-E65 1x-5x f/2.8 lens on A7riv FF and then cropped fairly hard in post. A mono-pod and small Wimberley gimbal helped freely position the camera and steady it for focusing (by moving, not the focus ring - there isn't one).

I'm a bit bored with the limited "workable" poses such narrow DoF allows and my keeper rate is so low I'm not telling you what it is! But I keep going back for "quick sessions" as it's easy setup and access (garden), fun practice and I'm still chasing more pics of jaws actually *doing* something. I rarely get any of those though, and this morning was no exception. Next time...

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
rogerjosem
OP MOD rogerjosem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,222
Re: Ants

I really like them A good example of hard work...with very nice results!!!

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R III Fujifilm GFX 100S Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 +11 more
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
Re: ***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, April 24th - 30th, 2021***

xyklisten wrote:

Old car shot with old lens.

Sony A7III & Konica Hexanon 50 1.7

Very nice use of the vintage lens.  The 2nd image color rendering is very natural but seem to show some weakness in flare/ghost control.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +18 more
MicahSYL
Re: Nature images from Shropshire

Mark R Paton wrote:

Wonderful series of images.  The squirrel, bird and the 2 lambs are all amazed by your camera.  I like the pigeon in flight best, the background blur creates a very sharp separation from your main subject.  Excellent works.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +18 more
MicahSYL
Re: Propeller planes with the new A7 RIV

spacejemz wrote:

Went to shoot some WWII planes at one of the small local airports in Dallas today...

Realized early on that I couldn't shoot propeller planes with the electronic shutter or the prop gets really bent

Most of the shots were with shutter speed around 1/160 - 1/250 - the B-29 really needed a slower shutter to get good propeller blur...

All of the above shots were on a tripod but I played around with some hand held shots with the 200-600mm lens (and some pretty gustys winds to boot)...here was one of the good ones:

Lighting was pretty terrible overall which I think played a good role in not getting as many keepers as I had hoped for...will keep playing around to see if it gets better though...

Your shots are all OK, except you really need to ramp up your SS, try faster than 1/1250s for subjects that moves.  In day light, you can afford higher ISO up to ISO800 without any grainy effect.  The deep DOF will not get you sharper images, it is motion blur you have to deal with.  I am sure once you gain the confidence you will shot at even faster SS, probably 1/3200s or higher.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

MicahSYL
Re: Out today with the Sigma 60-600mm on the A7R IV

VisionLight wrote:

This Northern Water Snake watched me intently as I tried to find an opening to point my lens through in the deep thick brush above The Pond where it was sunning. Setting the camera to Manual Focus at the MFD did the trick to get this image:

This water snake seemed to be enjoying watching me trying to take its portrait. I like the way the mid day sunlight bounces off The Pond and reflects on the bottom of the snake.

Looking up through the thick canopy, I saw an osprey fly over and hiked up the hills to see where it was headed. Outside the sanctuary, she had built her nest high at the top of a cell tower. So I waited until she showed her head above the nest and caught her as she took flight for another hunting trip over The Pond:

Mama Osprey takes off from her cell tower nest to go hunting for her young. In order to get through all the branches in the way (the dark shadows in the sky), this was also Manual focus.

When leaving the sanctuary, I stopped to check on the young flowering trees we planted a couple of years ago. New emerging buds are always a good subject for the "macro" feature of the Sigma 60-600mm lens:

Cherry Blossoms don't usually open this early in our local climate, but a hardy few have already made an appearance. I had originally set the lens to its 200mm "macro" position, but had to zoom out a little to improve the composition.

Thanks for looking. Comments or questions are always welcome.

Very nice series of images.  Wow, using MF for BIF is definitely not for everyone.  Agreed the shot on the water snake is best taken with MF.  Great to see you out shooting, no cup of nice beverage beside you :-).  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Khun_K
Khun_K Senior Member • Posts: 1,606
Eve Parker "Always Summer" - A7R IV + FE 35/1.4 GM
 Khun_K's gear list:Khun_K's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Sony RX1R II Leica Q2 Sony DSC-RX0 II leica m edition 60 +134 more
MicahSYL
Couple of shots, just finished PP

It is easy to shot, but sure draggy to complete the PP.

Thank you for viewing.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Derek Dean
Derek Dean Senior Member • Posts: 2,969
Re: More than one kind of rose...

wade maney wrote:

Wade

Wade, some lovely flower images, and the bottom image of the young lady has real potential, but would benefit from some color correction (add red or subtract cyan), and a a bit of cropping (a bit off the left and right and a lot off the top).

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads