***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, April 24th - 30th, 2021***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
MicahSYL
MicahSYL Senior Member • Posts: 2,564
Re: A7C, Trying My Best To Capture Images With Interest and Impact

I can see lots of creative considerations turning the often unnoticed into perspectives you wanted the viewers to see, the less traveled road, the leaf, the bridge and even the seedlings.  Wow, 1 to 10 miles is quite a sizeable area, you are definitely more active than you claim :-).  Nice series of images.  Cheers.

-- hide signature --

The wonders in the tapestry of this Universe, demand a Greater Wonder.

MicahSYL's gear list:MicahSYL's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +18 more
xyklisten Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: ***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, April 24th - 30th, 2021***

Old car shot with old lens.

Sony A7III & Konica Hexanon 50 1.7

William Curtindale
William Curtindale Veteran Member • Posts: 9,301
MicahSYL: A7C, Trying My Best To Capture Images With Interest and Impact

MicahSYL wrote:

I can see lots of creative considerations turning the often unnoticed into perspectives you wanted the viewers to see, the less traveled road, the leaf, the bridge and even the seedlings. Wow, 1 to 10 miles is quite a sizeable area, you are definitely more active than you claim :-). Nice series of images. Cheers.

Thanks for comments and encouragement.  I will continue my efforts.

-- hide signature --

I enjoy content, simplicity and light weight: A6500 and A7C w/Sony + Zeiss + G Glass

William Curtindale's gear list:William Curtindale's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7C Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more
BlueJakester
BlueJakester Veteran Member • Posts: 3,407
breakfast in the rain

This is an ooc jpg. No editing, only reduced about 50% for uploading.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
William Curtindale
Re: breakfast in the rain

BlueJakester wrote:

This is an ooc jpg. No editing, only reduced about 50% for uploading.

Very nice capture.  I like the detail and colors (maybe the rain adds to saturated colors).

-- hide signature --

I enjoy content, simplicity and light weight: A6500 and A7C w/Sony + Zeiss + G Glass

Sony a6500 Sony a7C Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more
BlueJakester

Thanks William. I have the Creative Style set to Standard and the Saturation at +1. I live in a wooded area that is green year around, so like the vivid colors.

It's great to have such accurate white balance and color right out of the camera. If I can use the jpeg images it saves me a lot of time in post processing.

Cheers,

Jake

wade maney Regular Member • Posts: 492

Nice capture Blue. When looking at the original size you can really see the rain and detail in the deer.  A light breakfast for this early morning browser.

Wade

wade maney's gear list:wade maney's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +6 more
wade maney Regular Member • Posts: 492
Re: Momma and baby Egret

Stan - great shot! This photo also got me wondering  - Do both parents feed their young? And I wonder if there is a definitive way to tell a mother egret from a father egret? Either way - excellent photo.

Wade

wade maney's gear list:wade maney's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +6 more
BlueJakester

wade maney wrote:

Nice capture Blue. When looking at the original size you can really see the rain and detail in the deer. A light breakfast for this early morning browser.

Wade

Thanks Wade.

Jake

richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,643
California Native Plants

Many of the plants in my southern California garden are natives. "Native" normally means those plants that were not introduced from outside the state.

California fuchsia, Epiolobium canum in the foreground

This is a great time of year to photograph the natives, since many are annuals - plants that die back each year following blooming season in early summer. A few below I'm including in a descriptive plant list.

1. California Golden Poppy, Eschscholzia californica - our state's official flower. Delicate petals starting to open in the morning. Often the scientific name honors a person connected with first identifying the flower. In this case, German physician and naturalist Johann Friedrich Eschscholtz who discovered the poppy genus in the San Francisco area in 1816.

2. White Tidy Tips, Layia platyglossa. A member of the sunflower family; most have two sets of flowers: the outer ray flowers, and the inner disk flowers which slowly open from the outside into the center. Here, almost all have opened, exposing the stamens with pollen grains.

3. California Buckwheat, Eriogonum fasciculatum. Flowers in clusters.

4. Showy Penstemon, Penstemon spectabilis. Flowers open on spikes.

5. Grinnell's Beardtongue, Penstemon grinnellii. Another penstemon; a close-in look at the "beardtongue"

6. Palmer's Mallow, Abutilon palmeri opening in mid morning.

7. Arroyo Lupine, Lupinus succulentus. A favorite annual in many gardens. You can start annuals from seeds, and the plants die back each summer and drop seeds around the area, leading to reseeding the next year. The palm-shape leaves (palmate) are an attractive feature of this plant.

8. Bladderpod, Peritoma arborea. The common name refers to the bladder-shape of the seed pods.

9. Elegant Clarkia, Clarkia unguiculata. Named for William Clark of Lewis and Clark fame. President Thomas Jefferson was an avid gardener and asked Lewis and Clark to bring back plant specimens they encountered on their expedition in the early 1800s.

Gardens are wonderful places to relax from our sometimes hectic lives!

-Richard

A wonderful collection from your "trip"!

This scene especially attracts me, as I'm always on the lookout for such places. The light has to be just right to get this effect.

Another favorite scene, closeups of seeds. What plant is this?

- Richard

A wonderful pose! I've seen a few deer foraging like this, but not many. Is this a Mule Deer?

- Richard

BlueJakester

richj20 wrote:

A wonderful pose! I've seen a few deer foraging like this, but not many. Is this a Mule Deer?

- Richard

Thanks Richard. I think it is a white tailed deer.

Jake

William Curtindale
Re: California Native Plants

richj20 wrote:

Many of the plants in my southern California garden are natives. "Native" normally means those plants that were not introduced from outside the state.

This is a great time of year to photograph the natives, since many are annuals - plants that die back each year following blooming season in early summer. A few below I'm including in a descriptive plant list.

1. California Golden Poppy, Eschscholzia californica - our state's official flower. Delicate petals starting to open in the morning. Often the scientific name honors a person connected with first identifying the flower. In this case, German physician and naturalist Johann Friedrich Eschscholtz who discovered the poppy genus in the San Francisco area in 1816.

2. White Tidy Tips, Layia platyglossa. A member of the sunflower family; most have two sets of flowers: the outer ray flowers, and the inner disk flowers which slowly open from the outside into the center. Here, almost all have opened, exposing the stamens with pollen grains.

3. California Buckwheat, Eriogonum fasciculatum. Flowers in clusters.

4. Showy Penstemon, Penstemon spectabilis. Flowers open on spikes.

5. Grinnell's Beardtongue, Penstemon grinnellii. Another penstemon; a close-in look at the "beardtongue"

6. Palmer's Mallow, Abutilon palmeri opening in mid morning.

7. Arroyo Lupine, Lupinus succulentus. A favorite annual in many gardens. You can start annuals from seeds, and the plants die back each summer and drop seeds around the area, leading to reseeding the next year. The palm-shape leaves (palmate) are an attractive feature of this plant.

8. Bladderpod, Peritoma arborea. The common name refers to the bladder-shape of the seed pods.

9. Elegant Clarkia, Clarkia unguiculata. Named for William Clark of Lewis and Clark fame. President Thomas Jefferson was an avid gardener and asked Lewis and Clark to bring back plant specimens they encountered on their expedition in the early 1800s.

Gardens are wonderful places to relax from our sometimes hectic lives!

-Richard

Beautiful and informative.  Thanks

-- hide signature --

William Curtindale
richj20: A7C, Trying My Best To Capture Images With Interest and Impact

richj20 wrote:

A wonderful collection from your "trip"!

This scene especially attracts me, as I'm always on the lookout for such places. The light has to be just right to get this effect.

Another favorite scene, closeups of seeds. What plant is this?

- Richard

Thank you for comments.  I am trying to be more artistic with my composition.

-- hide signature --

barnyz Regular Member • Posts: 465

Fantastic series. I really love the three birds (herons?) in a line and in different poses. It reminds me of one of thoses evolution diagrams. Great stuff!

barnyz's gear list:barnyz's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Mark R Paton
Mark R Paton New Member • Posts: 20
Nature images from Shropshire

Mark R Paton's gear list:Mark R Paton's gear list
Nikon D500 Sony a9 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
BlueJakester
Re: Nature images from Shropshire

Wow! Fantastic series. Love the birds running across the surface of the water.

Cheers,

Jake

VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,877
Re: Nature images from Shropshire

It looks like you had a great week for Nature photography. Wonderful images.

-- hide signature --
 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
Ha Pham Contributing Member • Posts: 530

William Curtindale wrote:

I am trying my best to add some creative / artistic touch to my images. At my age (77) and health condition I don't get to travel to far away scenic or exotic lands. So I am limited to working within my local community and trying to make my images interesting. Yep, it's more about composition and content (not about can make a huge print). It's sometimes frustrating but still fun working with my camera and lenses. All images shot between one and ten miles from home.

I love using my A7C with native FE, E APS-C and A-Mount lenses.

C&C appreciated.

I like your photos William. Just take pictures and enjoy the moments.

Ha

Ha Pham's gear list:Ha Pham's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD15 Sony a7R IV Sony a7C
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads