New P950 Owner

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 889
New P950 Owner

Been debating this camera to get for my fellow birder in crime.  I use a DSLR, so I'm comfortable with such a camera, and I'm hoping that the P950 will be easy enough for them to use and of course deliver capable results when it comes to birding along with me.

Welcome any comments or opinions.

Thanks!

p900learner
p900learner Senior Member • Posts: 1,621
Re: New P950 Owner

ShutterDude wrote:

Been debating this camera to get for my fellow birder in crime. I use a DSLR, so I'm comfortable with such a camera, and I'm hoping that the P950 will be easy enough for them to use and of course deliver capable results when it comes to birding along with me.

Thanks!

A P950 can be one of those "light-switch" turned on moments for a birder, nature lover who doesn't have a lot of photography interest. I say that because that is how it was for me. The reason - that long zoom, is just so much fun.

You can immediately, in good light put the camera on the AUTO mode, or the Bird Watching Mode, hold the camera steady and get results you are pleased with. The camera's early on results just gives you the reinforcement, and motivation to use the camera on a regular basis, in order to get better, and get the best you can get out of the camera.

I recommend the book @ Amazon - Point and Shoot Nature Photography, by Stephen Ingraham.

You can view more photos than you'd want to look at my SmugMug display, link below, scroll down for current images - all jpeg's and post-processed with free software. I'm proud of my photos, and proud to share them. Any number of forum community members have terrific examples -

All shot in Bird Watching Mode - from Finland - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMPLMewgUBa9VZrKb8uWfyuDaXG9_5PtxIBE1bkex2NUm6Sckanu0K7_81DmoI94A?key=cnlRRlFkb3FoWFdtaldkQUh4V2JzeUJoOUsxWVNn

Others here like KathieMT - accomplished DSLR user, but shoots totally in Bird Watching Mode with the P950, edits in Lightroom -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kathiemt/albums/72157717262499826

Be careful - you'll be taking over that P950 from your friend, so might have to buy two.

Ev

PS - It is difficult to find a new one currently at the normal online retailers. Nikon USA has them on back order as well.

-- hide signature --
 p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 FastStone Image Viewer PhotoScape
OP ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 889

Thank you and for the links - most impressive pictures, so it's great to see the results from this camera.

I picked one up from my local dealer today - new stock just came in!  I was lucky as yes, these cameras have had a stock issue for weeks on end.

I wished Nikon included an external battery charger - I'm not a big fan of charging via the camera - too clumsy with the USB cord and as well don't want to have the USB port of the camera get loose over time.  I guess I'll have to buy the external charger for it.

I forgot the LCD is not a touch screen - one thing I notice is that the screen is not to resistant to finger prints like it is on my D500 - I wished they used the same material for their screens...on my D500 never had a problem - just a quick wipe with a kleenex it's nice n' clean - on the P950 the screen doesn't feel smooth.

Anyhow, looking forward to trying out what this puppy can do!

Cheers,

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,864

ShutterDude wrote:

Been debating this camera to get for my fellow birder in crime. I use a DSLR, so I'm comfortable with such a camera, and I'm hoping that the P950 will be easy enough for them to use and of course deliver capable results when it comes to birding along with me.

Thanks!

The P950 is one fun camera!

A D500 it is not, though.

AF is not up to the speed on your D500.

BIF will not be easy on the P950.

Shooting small birds at a distance will be quite easy, this camera excels at these type shots (in good light). VR is amazing!

Here's a link to tips and tricks using the P950:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4540290

Stay healthy

ANAYV

da7329 Contributing Member • Posts: 811

My wife has access to the P950 p1000 d500 and several more.  She has tried them all but the d500 is the one she always ends up using.  It’s the speed and high ISO shooting the d500 can deliver she likes I guess.  The P950 and p1000 are more good light stills  cams.  But if the bird is still and light is good I find the P950 and p1000 both can deliver the goods.

DA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads