Sigma 105mm 1.4 owners, are you protecting the front lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
MichaelFrederickPhoto
MichaelFrederickPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 422
Sigma 105mm 1.4 owners, are you protecting the front lens?

As the title asks,  when you are shooting outdoors are you using anything to protect that glass since you can screw on a filter.

I see Breakthrough has a X4 UV for $200.  Dropping this much on a lens has my stomach sick but after several rentals,  its became a great tool for my business.

-- hide signature --
Mikael SB
Mikael SB Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Sigma 105mm 1.4 owners, are you protecting the front lens?

While I don't own the particular Sigma, I do use the equivelent Nikon a lot out and about. I would never consider getting a UV filter on there unless maybe if I would be out shooting expecting saltwater or mud spraying around. Keep the hood on and don't worry, is my recommendation.

If you're still worrying, use a bit of the UV-filter money and up your insurance. But the gear babying tends to fade with time.

Mikael SB's gear list:Mikael SB's gear list
Sony a5000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
Gary Skirvin Contributing Member • Posts: 641

I use the lens hood that came with the 105mm f/1.4 Sigma, that's all the protection I need. I've never damaged a lens front glass in over 30 years of photography despite brambles, thorns, weeds, limbs, etc. I don't put any "lens protector filter" even on the Nikon 19mm f/4 Tilt Shift which has no threads on the front for a filter.

GS

Gary Skirvin's gear list:Gary Skirvin's gear list
Nikon D850 Samsung Galaxy S9
greyghost59 Contributing Member • Posts: 665

Same as above, i dont bother with any kind of filter protection, anything you add to the front elements degrades image quality, to some degree.

Lens hoods always on any lens i use is plenty of protection and a previously said i to have never damaged any front element on my lens.

greyghost59's gear list:greyghost59's gear list
Nikon D7200 Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +7 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 593

MichaelFrederickPhoto wrote:

As the title asks, when you are shooting outdoors are you using anything to protect that glass since you can screw on a filter.

I see Breakthrough has a X4 UV for $200. Dropping this much on a lens has my stomach sick but after several rentals, its became a great tool for my business.

I use the lens hood supplied and find this to be sufficient.

Plus I figured I spent $1900 AU on the on the lens,why add another bit of protective glass that 'may arguably' diminish image quality in some form.. Saying this at times even wide open at f1.4 I find the 105mm so Sharp it almost needs a little less sharpness

Brilliant lens

lonewolf1983 Contributing Member • Posts: 603

use the hood

lonewolf1983's gear list:lonewolf1983's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D4S Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R6 +14 more
ashton lamont
ashton lamont Contributing Member • Posts: 666
paul-nm
paul-nm Regular Member • Posts: 185

I didn't at first, but did soon afterwards. I opted for the more expensive water repellent filter from Sigma. Back when I purchased there really wasn't as much available as there is now. But still, after getting hosed down with champagne at a wedding, I'm totally digging the WR filter. Liquid really does roll off it.

I'm in Southern New Mexico. Most of my outdoor portraiture involves various types of thorns sharp as razors and as long as six inches in length. I just watched a "Tog" out at White Sands National Monument drag his 70-200 FL through the Mesquite and damage his front element. It happens. Regardless of how careful you are.

-- hide signature --

Paul-NM

paul-nm's gear list:paul-nm's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D3X Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 +10 more
CptAmerica
CptAmerica Senior Member • Posts: 1,550

As the title asks, when you are shooting outdoors are you using anything to protect that glass since you can screw on a filter.

I see Breakthrough has a X4 UV for $200. Dropping this much on a lens has my stomach sick but after several rentals, its became a great tool for my business.

I never use protection filters on lenses. I will sometimes use an ND on my sigma 40 for moving water landscapes, but I have no need for any filter of any kind of a my 105 portrait lens.

I will qualify that with the fact that I am typically OVERLY cautious with how I treat my gear and where I will and will not take my lenses. If I think there is a chance at damage...I simply won't shoot.

On a different note, my 105 is my favorite lens, but my AF motor is already going out after only a couple thousand images on it.  I shipped it to Sigma this morning.

CptAmerica's gear list:CptAmerica's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
MichaelFrederickPhoto
OP MichaelFrederickPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 422

Oh man that sux about the lens!  I hope its a quick fix.

-- hide signature --
CptAmerica

Oh man that sux about the lens! I hope its a quick fix.

I just hope it's not a sign of things to come.  My ART lenses in 40 and 105 are by far my favorite lenses, and I want them to last a long time.

Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +7 more
MichaelFrederickPhoto
OP MichaelFrederickPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 422

I really wanted that 40mm for my portrait business.  I just don't shoot enough that low of a mm to justify the cost.  I just ordered the 50mm ART when it was on sale.  I just bought all the gear you see below last month so my wallet "needs a breather".

-- hide signature --
CptAmerica

I really wanted that 40mm for my portrait business. I just don't shoot enough that low of a mm to justify the cost. I just ordered the 50mm ART when it was on sale. I just bought all the gear you see below last month so my wallet "needs a breather".

I hear ya. I don't generally use it for individual portraits either, but it's a GREAT "general shooting" prime, and is GREAT for group shots. I just used it to shoot my son's baseball team team photo, as well as some shots of the family kids from a group camping trip last month. As soon as you have 2, 3, or more people in a picture, so you're not right up on top of them, it's perfect.

I have found in the past that the 50mm tends to be JUST a bit tight for walking around, or for "normal field of view" landscapes. The 40 really filled those holes perfectly.

This is a fun one:

Sigma 40mm f/1.4 ART - SHARPEST Lens I've Tested?! - YouTube

also some good testing here:

Sigma 40mm f/1.4 DG HSM 'Art' lens review with samples - YouTube

WarrenPeas
WarrenPeas Contributing Member • Posts: 919

As a habit, no matter what lens I may aquire, I always put a protective filter on it the moment it comes out of the box.  You'll hear the pros and cons to this approach forever, but it becomes a personal choice.

-- hide signature --

IG: @DooDooYellow

WarrenPeas's gear list:WarrenPeas's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +6 more
reflux83
reflux83 Junior Member • Posts: 33

I ended up buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086V8M7KD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_ZGF20VBEWKKESV7MMR9M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's been OK so far

reflux83's gear list:reflux83's gear list
Canon PowerShot A630 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +15 more
CptAmerica

reflux83 wrote:

I ended up buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086V8M7KD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_ZGF20VBEWKKESV7MMR9M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's been OK so far

I would only use that if damage to the front element was all but certain.

X Ray
X Ray Regular Member • Posts: 184

reflux83 wrote:

I ended up buying this:

It's been OK so far

Use the lens hood and ditch the filter. If that filter breaks, it's more than likely going to give you some nice scratches on the front element. Ask me how I know.

X Ray's gear list:X Ray's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads