New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
susn Forum Member • Posts: 64
New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!
2

Finally, after decades of a deep interest in photography, I felt it was finally time to look into Leica cameras for my next purchase. After a couple of weeks of intense research, being open to several other brands and types of cameras new and used (used Leicas), going back and forth on many categories of needs and wants, yesterday I settled on the Leica Q2, picked up the phone, called a good local camera store, asked if they had the Q2 in stock and to my surprise they did! I'm glad I didn't just put my name on backorder at B&H!

I took a couple of hundred shots in my garden and some indoors. I am completely blown away by the quality of the images and this is coming from a Nikon D810 and Fuji x100f (can't really compare the latter). It's a dramatic difference in image quality.

There is a learning curve. I could REALLY use your specific tips and suggestions for Q2 settings, use, etc. Things like what you wish you knew when you first started using it which were confusing but later discovered (settings, etc.) and just anything related to its use and operation. Here's a picture with nothing at all done to it except resizing.

 susn's gear list:susn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jayboo Senior Member • Posts: 2,260
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!
2

Wealth of advice and very helpful people to be found here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/forum/222-leica-q-leica-q2/

Enjoy your new camera.

Jayboo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jayneboo/

 jayboo's gear list:jayboo's gear list
Leica CL Canon EOS R6 Leica M10-R Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +7 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,794
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

susn wrote:

Finally, after decades of a deep interest in photography, I felt it was finally time to look into Leica cameras for my next purchase. After a couple of weeks of intense research, being open to several other brands and types of cameras new and used (used Leicas), going back and forth on many categories of needs and wants, yesterday I settled on the Leica Q2, picked up the phone, called a good local camera store, asked if they had the Q2 in stock and to my surprise they did! I'm glad I didn't just put my name on backorder at B&H!

I took a couple of hundred shots in my garden and some indoors. I am completely blown away by the quality of the images and this is coming from a Nikon D810 and Fuji x100f (can't really compare the latter). It's a dramatic difference in image quality.

There is a learning curve. I could REALLY use your specific tips and suggestions for Q2 settings, use, etc. Things like what you wish you knew when you first started using it which were confusing but later discovered (settings, etc.) and just anything related to its use and operation. Here's a picture with nothing at all done to it except resizing.

Heres 3 (not masterpieces) showing the EXIF info..

 LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +7 more
OP susn Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

Those are beautiful. The sharpness and colors are really nice. I see you have an underexposed setting. I set that up too because the pictures looked on the light side.

 susn's gear list:susn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,794
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

susn wrote:

Those are beautiful. The sharpness and colors are really nice. I see you have an underexposed setting. I set that up too because the pictures looked on the light side.

The reason for the EV setting is to get a little more depth of color.. Expose with EV @ 0 then - then select  -EV usually 1/2 -1/3rd..   Congrats on ownership of a great camera..  L

-- hide signature --

“Hold the vision, trust the process.” –

 LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +7 more
OP susn Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

Thanks for that. Looks like it works really well. I'll keep that in mind!

 susn's gear list:susn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
RobertLysakowski Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

I got Q2 a week ago and did not spent much time on setting it up - all was working fine out of the box.

One handy thing which I changed was the touch screen in viewfinder mode. You can look through the viewfinder and use touch screen to reposition the focus point SAME TIME.

Another setting is the minimum shutter speed for auto ISO, I set mine to 1/125.

I use DNG files but sometimes like to get a JPG, I set its size to medium or small.

OP susn Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

Great tips, thanks! It's my first touch screen so that will be fun. Next for me is to fix back button focus.

 susn's gear list:susn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
ROOOO Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

RobertLysakowski wrote:

I got Q2 a week ago and did not spent much time on setting it up - all was working fine out of the box.

One handy thing which I changed was the touch screen in viewfinder mode. You can look through the viewfinder and use touch screen to reposition the focus point SAME TIME.

Another setting is the minimum shutter speed for auto ISO, I set mine to 1/125.

I use DNG files but sometimes like to get a JPG, I set its size to medium or small.

Thanks! Do you mean that you just blindly reposition the focus point while the viewfinder is held fo your eye? I assume that one develops a sense, over time, of where they're tapping on the LCD screen without looking at it?

I find auto ISO too unexpected and more often just set an ISO I'm comfortable with. I'm also a big fan of JPEGs. They're not as interesting as those from a Fujifilm camera, but they're good enough to often save me some PP time in Lightroom.

RobertLysakowski Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

ROOOO wrote:

RobertLysakowski wrote:

I got Q2 a week ago and did not spent much time on setting it up - all was working fine out of the box.

One handy thing which I changed was the touch screen in viewfinder mode. You can look through the viewfinder and use touch screen to reposition the focus point SAME TIME.

Another setting is the minimum shutter speed for auto ISO, I set mine to 1/125.

I use DNG files but sometimes like to get a JPG, I set its size to medium or small.

Thanks! Do you mean that you just blindly reposition the focus point while the viewfinder is held fo your eye? I assume that one develops a sense, over time, of where they're tapping on the LCD screen without looking at it?

I find auto ISO too unexpected and more often just set an ISO I'm comfortable with. I'm also a big fan of JPEGs. They're not as interesting as those from a Fujifilm camera, but they're good enough to often save me some PP time in Lightroom.

Yes, I look trough the viewfinder and with my right hand I am blindly pointing to screen area where I think is the object I want to focus on. It takes practice to master but is definitely doable.

I still prefer the way Sony implemented it - you can pick area on the LCD which you will use as 'touchpad' and just move your finder around - the focus point would follow. For me  it's easier than in Leica's version. If you do the same on Q2 (press and drag the focus point) it will try to continuously focus as you drag it, instead of waiting for you to release the touch. It's also sort of 'ok' but could be better.

I see your point on AUTO ISO - I sometimes stick to one setting, it really depends on the environment and needed speed (I do not always have time to play with ISO).

PL6012 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!
 PL6012's gear list:PL6012's gear list
Leica Q2
OP susn Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: New Q2 Owner - Need Your Tips!

Thank you. Yes, I have been there. Wonderful resource.

 susn's gear list:susn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads