Florida Everglades panorama

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,166
Florida Everglades panorama

I had a moment to stand up in the airboat tour and quick snap 11 images of our surroundings. Didn’t realize until late that I had left the camera in crop mode from some earlier attempts at very distant birds. It made for a smaller file size anyway and it will likely span a centerfold of our vacation album with some waterfowl, alligators, turtles, and flowers above and below.  It’s 56 megapixels at home, but downsized considerably here.

I processed the Raws in DPP4 and stitched the JPEG’s in Affinity Photo.

11 shot panorama of the Florida Everglades.  I didn’t even notice the highway in the distance until I stitched the images together.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,954
Re: Florida Everglades panorama

Very nice scene and stitched panorama.

But for my liking, I feel the sky is too light and the foreground and overall scene need a little more depth to help make it pop a little more.

I would apply a graduated neutral density filter effect to the sky to add some contrast and depth to it and then some dodge and burn to the foreground to help give a little more depth and pop which would help the highway stand out a little more as well.

If we can post edited versions of your image I can show you what I mean.

Anyway, hopefully just some food for thought and thank you for sharing

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
OP JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,166

I’d appreciate some ideas to improve it. You may edit.

Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +7 more
David1961

I was thinking along something like this.

I am using Photoshop Elements.

I first tweaked just slightly the contrast and highlights sliders in PSE's Adobe Camera Raw.

Then in PSE itself -

The Neutral Density Graduated filter is a black to transparent gradient layer with soft light blend mode to add some contrast and depth to the sky and clouds.

The Dodge & Burn layer is a 50% grey filled layer with overlay blend mode. You then paint on the layer with various shades of grey to either darken (burn) or lighten (dodge) various image elements.

You should be able to apply the same or similar edits in Affinity Photo but I have no idea how as I am not a user.

Thank you for letting us edit your image.

Canon EOS 90D

Thanks for this.  After your feedback I’m playing in Affinity to see if I can do something a little more detailed.

I didn’t give you much to work with given the downsized file for posting.

A little dodge and burn. Adjustment layer for brightness, contrast, and black point in the sky.  Brought back to DPP4 for some selective color h, s, l in the yellows, oranges, and blues.

Right now I really don’t have a target in mind so I just play around until I think it doesn’t look bad.

David1961

I like your v2 better because it has more depth and punch than your original.

There is no absolute right or wrong final image, but perhaps keep an eye on your luminosity histogram to make sure your final edit doesn't have important highlights or shadows clipped.

Canon EOS 90D
GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,468

Increased brightness of grass and color of skies using alto curves and apply image.  gc

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads