Help choose new camera, D780, Z6II, etc.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Anton N New Member • Posts: 2
Help choose new camera, D780, Z6II, etc.

Hello members of DP Review,

I am using for a while my wife camera (Nikon d5200) and love photography.

It's time to get my own camera and I don't have a lot of experience with other cameras and differences with Nikon vs Canon vs Sony vs etc.

Right now looking for mostly Nikon D780. Not sure if there any sense go with mirrorless, what I read from other threads, Nikon doesn't have good fundaments to the mirrorless camera.

Camera going to use in traveling, event photoshoot and landscape.

Budget not above ~$5000 (body + lens(es)) and will have this camera for next 5-8 years.

Thanks,

Anton

Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: Help choose new camera, D780, Z6II, etc.

Anton N wrote:

It's time to get my own camera and I don't have a lot of experience with other cameras and differences with Nikon vs Canon vs Sony vs etc.

Right now looking for mostly Nikon D780. Not sure if there any sense go with mirrorless, what I read from other threads, Nikon doesn't have good fundaments to the mirrorless camera.

Budget not above ~$5000 (body + lens(es)) and will have this camera for next 5-8 years.

Thanks,

Anton

i am sure d780 is a fine camera but besides an optical viewfinder preference i don't think it can do anything the z6ii cannot. by investing into fx lenses you will be investing into a dying system and depreciation will take heavy toll in the next 5-8 years. on the other hand, used fx lenses will be cheaper to acquire with passing years. the d780 may suffer from banding in heavy shadows recovery, an issue which was fixed in z6ii.

with the second generation of z bodies nikon pretty much closed the gap on competition in the mirrorless world and they offer a solid system which is enjoyed by many pros, so it is unlikely it will leave you wanting for more. z lenses in general are excellent, compare well against competition and mostly outperform their fx counterparts.

for your needs any current full frame system (nikon z, panasonic l, sony fe, canon rf) will give a great service. we are spoiled for choice these days and it comes down to preferences in ergonomics, size and lenses rather than paper spec sheet.

do you know which lenses you want? would you consider crop sensor options?

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,161

Anton N wrote:

Thanks,

Anton

If you haven't already done so, look at the Buying Guides here at DPR.

For the applications you list, a DSLR like the D780 has no performance advantages over mirrorless, and will be larger and heavier than mirrorless. Since you are interested in full frame, any APS-C Nikon lenses your wife has won't much help you. And I think mirrorless will very definitely displace DSLRs during the time frame you intend to keep your new camera. You won't have a good upgrade path when it's time to replace. So unless you absolutely hate electronic viewfinders, I would definitely go mirrorless.

ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 954

Anton N wrote:

Thanks,

Anton

Mirrorless is OK but I personally prefer DSLRs. The D780 is a great camera. I have a D750 and I am perfectly happy with it.

When it comes to mirrorless, Nikon does not have the very best auto focus, but most people will find it good enough. So if you do want a mirrorless, Nikon will give you what I think are the most beautiful images. In the US, Nikon has a big sale for the Z5: $999, which is a great deal.

But like a said, if it were me I would go with the D750 or the D780. Even if other members say you are buying into a "dying system".

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
OP Anton N New Member • Posts: 2

Mark Sloe wrote:

Anton N wrote:

Thanks,

Anton

i am sure d780 is a fine camera but besides an optical viewfinder preference i don't think it can do anything the z6ii cannot. by investing into fx lenses you will be investing into a dying system and depreciation will take heavy toll in the next 5-8 years. on the other hand, used fx lenses will be cheaper to acquire with passing years. the d780 may suffer from banding in heavy shadows recovery, an issue which was fixed in z6ii.

with the second generation of z bodies nikon pretty much closed the gap on competition in the mirrorless world and they offer a solid system which is enjoyed by many pros, so it is unlikely it will leave you wanting for more. z lenses in general are excellent, compare well against competition and mostly outperform their fx counterparts.

for your needs any current full frame system (nikon z, panasonic l, sony fe, canon rf) will give a great service. we are spoiled for choice these days and it comes down to preferences in ergonomics, size and lenses rather than paper spec sheet.

do you know which lenses you want? would you consider crop sensor options?

Thank you for reply. I am not sure about lenses yet. I never heard about crop sensor one, I need do some research. For first set of lenses I thought to search for a very good one what using usually for events or travel and after that moving more to portrait/landscape ones. Do you think Nikon mirrorless more mature now? What about viewfinder, it's still make sense to use viewfinder with z6II or better just use display?

Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 407

Anton N wrote:

Thank you for reply. I am not sure about lenses yet. I never heard about crop sensor one, I need do some research.

crop sensor camera is one with the sensor smaller than what is called a "full frame" sensor 36x24mm. your wife's d5200 is a crop sensor camera with so called aps-c sensor size 23.5x15.6mm (aps-c from canon is slightly smaller). there is also a slightly smaller popular crop format called micro four thirds (or mft). do some research online regarding crop factor and what it means.

smaller sensor requires smaller camera body to house it and lenses with smaller image circle to cover it which may result in a smaller overall system and often cheaper than a full frame equivalent. however, you are giving up light gathering area of the sensor so there are trade-offs in low light performance and dynamic range.

are you happy with images the d5200? is there any particular area you would want to improve upon?

For first set of lenses I thought to search for a very good one what using usually for events or travel and after that moving more to portrait/landscape ones. Do you think Nikon mirrorless more mature now? What about viewfinder, it's still make sense to use viewfinder with z6II or better just use display?

what kind of events do you have in mind? which lenses are you using with the d5200?

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
LASR Regular Member • Posts: 291

Anton N wrote:

Thanks,

Anton

As mentioned, the DSLR era is gone. The plus side is that if you buy used you can get an excellent camera like the D850 and lenses at very good prices (or a Canon equivalent), the downside is that Nikon and Canon are putting their resources on mirrorless and will probably only launch a few new DSLRs at premium prices to support existing users (like the Nikon F6 for film), but they will probably do it for 10-20 years.

Mirrorless has many advantages: focus points in the entire area, AF on the sensor and no need to fine tune AF because the AF sensor is below the mirror, EVF shows what you will get and it's better in low light than the pentaprism, short flange distance which allows better lens design in the wide to short-tele range, IBIS, much better video, more compact cameras.

The high volume/low profit market of the APS-C camera with kit lens dropped due to smartphones and the main manufacturers are betting mostly in full frame (24x36 mm), so don't expect as many lenses for APS-C as in the past. If you want to buy APS-C the best option is probably Fuji, but an equivalent lens in terms of angle of view and depth of field and light gathering costs and weighs about the same (e.g. 50 f1.8 in FF is equivalent to 35 f1.2 in APS-C).

Most of the money in a system goes for the lenses and lenses will probably see two or three cameras in their lifetime, so I would start by looking at the performance of the lenses that were released and what is on the roadmap. Sony has an advantage here because they have an open specification and there are many options from third party manufacturers.

I think you are wrong when saying that "Nikon doesn't have good fundaments to the mirrorless camera.". On the camera side Nikon cameras are currently behind Canon and Sony in AF for fast tracking of erratic subjects, but in every other aspect they are as good or better than the competition. The current AF is good for most situations, but if you need very fast AF tracking then it's better to get a Sony a9 or a1, or maybe a Canon R5 will do. On the lens side Nikon decided to make f1.8 S (equivalent to the F-mount gold ring) prime lenses instead of f1.4s to make them more compact and they are excellent, the S f2.8 zoom trinity is excellent and as good or better than Canon and Sony equivalents, the f4 S zooms are excellent as well.

AF tracking using the sensor is challenging because there are many more points from where to read. The success is the combination of three factors: AF algorithms, processing power and sensor readout speed. AF computation will improve in every manufacturer and is upgradable via firmware but of the two remaining factors the bottleneck is probably in the readout speed and that is improved with stacked sensors. Sony uses stacked sensors on the a9 and a1, Canon will use on the R3 and Nikon on the Z9, but with time they will probably start to be used on lower-price cameras. However, fast AF tracking isn't really important except for sports and some wildlife.

If you shoot jpeg, colours depend on the camera's raw converter. Sony colours aren't as good as Nikon's or Canon's. If you shoot raw doesn't matter but it will be more difficult to get good results from Fuji X-Trans sensors.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads