Once a year opportunity- what gear to take??

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Bob Smart Junior Member • Posts: 27
Once a year opportunity- what gear to take??

Hi all,

I've managed to get booked on a boat trip to May Island in the Forth River to hopefully capture some Puffin shots.

I can only realistically take 2 bodies, I own a D800 (definitely going), a d3 and an old D2x.

I know it seems like a no-brainer that the d3 should be next on the list but there's something about the extra reach due to the crop factor of the D2x that is appealing.

This is of course weather dependent- if it's bright, the D2x still takes lovely shots, but if it's as they say here in Scotland 'dreict' (dull) then its lack of iso performance would rule it out automatically.

So let's be optimistic and assume that it's going to be a glorious day.....

What would your second body be? D3 or D2x??

I used to think I was indecisive but now I'm not so sure..😁.

I was intending taking a 150-600mm f5-6.3, a 70-200 f2.8 and a 15-30mm.

Bob Smart's gear list:Bob Smart's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D800 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,420
Re: Once a year opportunity- what gear to take??

I would take the D2x only and the 150-600. Confirm everything's working right before you go.

Then, bring a point & shoot as your back-up and landscape camera, so you don't load yourself down too much.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"A book breaks the shackles of time."
-Carl Sagan

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +33 more
OP Bob Smart Junior Member • Posts: 27

Smaug01 wrote:

I would take the D2x only and the 150-600. Confirm everything's working right before you go.

Then, bring a point & shoot as your back-up and landscape camera, so you don't load yourself down too much.

Hi, thanks for that.

I had considered something similar and if it was just puffins sitting pretty, it would probably be more than enough but I was hoping to get some puffins in flight and the travel at 30-40mph and was thinking I'd need the best autofocus body I own as I miss enough due to lack of experience/technique without factoring in an autofocus system on a body that's 15 year old😁.

Lugging 2 bodies around doesn't bother me too much as it's only for 2½/3 Hours max....

Nikon D2X Nikon D800 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,267

Think I’d be tempted to treat myself to a lightly used D7200 for speed and reach .

Twin card slots , great AF system and it can take a grip if needed and give you that extra reach and put the 15-30 on the D800

The last time I visited the puffin colony local to me I just took a bridge camera with no regrets. At that time the Nikon P950 .

Enjoy your trip..

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +5 more
OP Bob Smart Junior Member • Posts: 27

Hi everyone,

I ended up taking my D3 with Tamron 150-600mn, D800 with Sigma 70-200mn and my Sigma 15-30mm for any landscapes.

The Isle of May is a totally amazing location for birds and landscapes, even saw some dolphins on the way out, although I concentrated on the birds, my thinking being that I can drive anywhere and take landscape pics but some of the birds are rarely seen on the mainland, so wanted to make the most of my 2 hours, 40 minutes on the island.

I was reasonably pleased with what I got and I'd recommend this trip to anyone- the journey out on the high-speed rib was an adventure in itself.

Nag, nag, nag...

Classic Puffin pose...

Going to need a bigger boat...

Soaking up the sun...

Incoming!!!

Flying high...

MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,267

They look good , glad you had a great trip.

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +5 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,744

Smaug01 wrote:

wise words, three lenses is overkill

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,965

Consider the Farne Islands from Seahouses if you want to get close, only a few feet, from puffins.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads