Experiences with Various Nikon F Lenses on GFX Steelsring Adapter

Started 2 months ago | Questions
BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 212
Experiences with Various Nikon F Lenses on GFX Steelsring Adapter

Hi All. I'm in the process of putting together my transition strategy to the GFX world. I have a number of Nikon lenses that I'm trying to determine whether to keep or sell as I make the transition so I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has tried out the following Nikon lenses on a GFX camera with a Steelsring adapter. What have been your experiences? How's the AF? What was the image circle like? Did VR work with the latest Steelsring firmware (on the lenses that have it)? BTW, I'm likely going to go with the GFX 100S if that helps.

AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED

AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR

AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

Thanks, in advance!

BaldEgo's gear list:BaldEgo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Nikon Z50 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
enigmatico Regular Member • Posts: 356
Re: Experiences with Various Nikon F Lenses on GFX Steelsring Adapter

BaldEgo wrote:

Hi All. I'm in the process of putting together my transition strategy to the GFX world. I have a number of Nikon lenses that I'm trying to determine whether to keep or sell as I make the transition so I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has tried out the following Nikon lenses on a GFX camera with a Steelsring adapter. What have been your experiences? How's the AF? What was the image circle like? Did VR work with the latest Steelsring firmware (on the lenses that have it)? BTW, I'm likely going to go with the GFX 100S if that helps.

AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED

AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR

AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

Thanks, in advance!

I'm afraid I cannot help with the specific lenses you have listed, or the Steelsring adaptor, because I do not have any of them! Plus, I am no scientific lens tester that can give you technical info.

However I do use my GFX50R almost exclusively with adapted lenses and as from today, my new GFX100S as well :-).  I use them because I prefer manual focus and wider apertures than the native GFX series lenses. (I have the 80mm on order). My adapter is the K&F Concept brand, NIK - GFX.

I have tested many lenses with the GFX system; Leica M mount, Canon EF and Nikon Lenses. Some are unusable because they do some really weird stuff at the edges and the corners. For example, the Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f1.7 is unusable. Yet I have a 7 Artisans 35mm f1.4 which is useable as long as I stop the lens down to at least f2.8 and there will still be a part of the image which is destroyed by vignetting.

There seems to be no logic to me about the lenses that work and those that don't. My favourite two are a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 and a Zeiss Distagon 35mm f1.4. Both have Nikon mounts and they both work spectacularly for me on my GFX cameras.

Tip 1: Don't use the lens hoods. Tip 2: There will inevitably be some vignetting that has to be cropped out, but the lens sharpness and rendering on the two lenses I have specified, work very well for me.

The lenses you listed are not particularly wide aperture, so you may find greater success with them.

enigmatico's gear list:enigmatico's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +12 more
OP BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 212

enigmatico wrote:

Tip 1: Don't use the lens hoods. Tip 2: There will inevitably be some vignetting that has to be cropped out, but the lens sharpness and rendering on the two lenses I have specified, work very well for me.

The lenses you listed are not particularly wide aperture, so you may find greater success with them.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll keep those tips in mind. I'm starting to lean more towards selling the all of the Nikon AF lenses and concentrating on using native lenses, older manual focus lenses, and possibly a few of my leftover Canon EF lenses but I still have lots of time to decide because I'm not planning on buying a GFX 100s until next fall anyway.

Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Nikon Z50 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more

BaldEgo wrote:

enigmatico wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll keep those tips in mind. I'm starting to lean more towards selling the all of the Nikon AF lenses and concentrating on using native lenses, older manual focus lenses, and possibly a few of my leftover Canon EF lenses but I still have lots of time to decide because I'm not planning on buying a GFX 100s until next fall anyway.

Don’t forget that any non-native lenses you adapt onto the GFX will need to have an aperture ring. The alternative is to find a “smart adapter” with electronic contacts, which are hard to find and can be expensive. Its hard enough to obtain simple or “dumb” adapters for the GFX bodies where I live.

Never by a non-native lens for the GFX without testing it first or reading reviews. Some of them are truly un-useable and I haven’t found any logic to determine which might work and which don’t.

Don’t forget that any non-native lenses you adapt onto the GFX will need to have an aperture ring. The alternative is to find a “smart adapter” with electronic contacts, which are hard to find and can be expensive. Its hard enough to obtain simple or “dumb” adapters for the GFX bodies where I live.

Never by a non-native lens for the GFX without testing it first or reading reviews. Some of them are truly un-useable and I haven’t found any logic to determine which might work and which don’t.

Thanks. The Steelsring is a smart adapter--the only one available for Nikon F AF lenses as far as I know.

BaldEgo wrote:

Thanks. The Steelsring is a smart adapter--the only one available for Nikon F AF lenses as far as I know.

I’ve just looked it up. It seems to be not too large which is nice but in my country it’s over $500 USD which is a very expensive adapter. 
it would be interesting to hear from someone who’s used it.

Herkaun Forum Member • Posts: 63

I have one on the way. It should be here in about 10 days.

I will report back when I've tested it.

Herkaun's gear list:Herkaun's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +5 more
avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,555

I ordered the adapter for my F mount Sigma 14mm f1.8.  It works well on that lens.  AF is snappy.  Same for the Sigma 40mm F1. 4.  It also seems to work well with the Nikkor 28mm E and the 105mm E.  It does not work with the 20mm AFS G.

Seems the best performance is with the E type lenses.

Good luck

avalvo's gear list:avalvo's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100

Seems the best performance is with the E type lenses.

Good luck

That confirms what others have mentioned to me. Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads