Canon 85mm can't find the subject

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
alainn New Member • Posts: 1
Canon 85mm can't find the subject

Guys, I was recently doing a photoshoot and, literally out of nowhere, my AF stopped focusing on the subject properly.
When I press the half-button to focus, the autofocus starts to vary between blurring in front of or behind the subject. This happens for about two seconds and, suddenly, the camera beeps (as if it had detected the focus) and takes the picture, but the focus is completely behind the subject.

I restored the camera to factory settings, thinking I could have made a change without realizing it, but the problem remains. I believe it is a technical problem and not a configuration problem, but I would like to know your opinion.

I'm using a 6D mk1 and a Canon 85mm 1.8 USM AF.

Note: when using manual focus, the camera beeps whenever the subject is in focus. Unlike when I activate the AF function.

I apologize for my English, and hugs from Brazil! 

Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,324
Re: Canon 85mm can't find the subject

It could be a technical problem, but it is probably worth doing a few other tests.

Do you only have the problem with the 85mm lens?  Do other lenses work normally?

Are you able to try the 85mm on another body?

Have you tried a variety of different subjects and different light conditions with the 85mm? Does it happen with all targets or just one or two?

Have you tried focusing using Liveview (which uses a different focusing method)?

It is probably worth cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the camera body in case you have a faulty connection.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads