DPP4 and Chromatic Aberration correction

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Contributing Member • Posts: 849
DPP4 and Chromatic Aberration correction

I have noticed that Chromatic Aberration correction, under the "lens" tab is always greyed out. Or, was. With my recently acquired 17-40 f4.0L, CA correction is active and can be used to correct red or blue channels. How strange.

What other lenses is CA correction active in DPP4?

SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: DPP4 and Chromatic Aberration correction

Never mind.  I just answered my own question.  If Digital Lens Optimizer is on, the CA and Diffraction Correction tool is off.  Turn off DLO and CA and Diffraction Correction is active.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,004

You do have to use EOS Utility to download the lens profile to the camera for EF lenses.

SteveinLouisville

tkbslc wrote:

You do have to use EOS Utility to download the lens profile to the camera for EF lenses.

When I download files to my computer from my RP, EOS utility opens, downloads the files and starts DDP4.  If it is a new lens (never before seen in my installation of DPP4) I have to download the lens profile using the lens tab in DPP4.  It opens a list of lenses, with the right one checked, and I click OK to download the profile.  When I open a RAW file in Lightroom, however, if it was taken with a lens that Lightroom hasn't seen before, the program automatically downloads and installs it.  I don't have to do anything.

I never transfer files in any other way than through a USB cord.  Wifi, bluetooth, they just seem more of a hassle than they are worth.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,004

SteveinLouisville wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

When I download files to my computer from my RP, EOS utility opens, downloads the files and starts DDP4. If it is a new lens (never before seen in my installation of DPP4) I have to download the lens profile using the lens tab in DPP4. It opens a list of lenses, with the right one checked, and I click OK to download the profile. When I open a RAW file in Lightroom, however, if it was taken with a lens that Lightroom hasn't seen before, the program automatically downloads and installs it. I don't have to do anything.

I never transfer files in any other way than through a USB cord. Wifi, bluetooth, they just seem more of a hassle than they are worth.

Well you need the camera profile loaded onto camera if you want corrected Jpegs, I should say.  If you only do RAW, then your favorite editor will have to handle it

SteveinLouisville

tkbslc wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

When I download files to my computer from my RP, EOS utility opens, downloads the files and starts DDP4. If it is a new lens (never before seen in my installation of DPP4) I have to download the lens profile using the lens tab in DPP4. It opens a list of lenses, with the right one checked, and I click OK to download the profile. When I open a RAW file in Lightroom, however, if it was taken with a lens that Lightroom hasn't seen before, the program automatically downloads and installs it. I don't have to do anything.

I never transfer files in any other way than through a USB cord. Wifi, bluetooth, they just seem more of a hassle than they are worth.

Well you need the camera profile loaded onto camera if you want corrected Jpegs, I should say. If you only do RAW, then your favorite editor will have to handle it

Ok, thanks.  I understand now.  I shoot raw, do my adjustments in DPP4 and then save as a JPG.  Sometimes I tweak the JPG in Lightroom, but never very much.

TheVancouverGuy Senior Member • Posts: 1,507

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Never mind. I just answered my own question. If Digital Lens Optimizer is on, the CA and Diffraction Correction tool is off. Turn off DLO and CA and Diffraction Correction is active.

I think with DLO on the CA and Diffraction correction are already auto corrected.

SteveinLouisville

TheVancouverGuy wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Never mind. I just answered my own question. If Digital Lens Optimizer is on, the CA and Diffraction Correction tool is off. Turn off DLO and CA and Diffraction Correction is active.

I think with DLO on the CA and Diffraction correction are already auto corrected.

I have done a couple of google searches on this question and I think you are right. DLO, when checked "on," has a slider you can use to "globally" adjust the CA and Diffraction Correction, to taste. Or, you can turn off DLO and then the CA and DC are not greyed out and you can adjust them independently of one another.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads