Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
CMCphoto Junior Member • Posts: 40
Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise
6

I tried it again. This time there was still one issue that happened. (My motion system decided it needed a firmware update halfway through the timelapse when I reconnected my phone to check the status) Overall much happier with this try than the last one.

I want to do a night -> day -> night timelapse some time, I just have to figure out where I feel comfortable leaving my camera unsupervised. Hopefully I'll figure out a location by next new moon.

 CMCphoto's gear list:CMCphoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 24mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 787
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

I loved it! What gear did you use?

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
Dan Paris Senior Member • Posts: 1,052
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise
1

I really love it congratulations ! (and I wished I had such places near my home...)

 Dan Paris's gear list:Dan Paris's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +7 more
OP CMCphoto Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise
1

viper699 wrote:

I loved it! What gear did you use?

Sony A73, 24GM, Edelkrone Headplus and Slider Plus pro.

 CMCphoto's gear list:CMCphoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 24mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

Great! I liked the way you panned the camera to keep the Milky Way as the focal point in the composition.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

 Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
1DSmII Senior Member • Posts: 1,194
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise
1

Very nice. What did you do to manage the night/day transition?

I recently posted this link in another thread, but seems appropriate to post it here as well.

-- hide signature --

Leo S.

 1DSmII's gear list:1DSmII's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +22 more
curiousmike1300
curiousmike1300 Contributing Member • Posts: 988
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

1DSmII wrote:

Very nice. What did you do to manage the night/day transition?

I recently posted this link in another thread, but seems appropriate to post it here as well.

I am interested in this as well - holy grail and all that.

 curiousmike1300's gear list:curiousmike1300's gear list
Panasonic G85 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +13 more
OP CMCphoto Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

Great! I liked the way you panned the camera to keep the Milky Way as the focal point in the composition.

Thanks! I liked it too 😀

I really want to capture a sunset, milky way, and sunrise in one video, but I'm not sure what motion sequence will work. Perhaps I'll have to wait until autumn to just go west to south to east.

 CMCphoto's gear list:CMCphoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 24mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
OP CMCphoto Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise
2

1DSmII wrote:

Very nice. What did you do to manage the night/day transition?

I recently posted this link in another thread, but seems appropriate to post it here as well.

Thanks for sharing that link. I had originally planned on doing a long term timelapse last year, but Covid got it the way. I designed and 3d printed a case for my camera and everything. I was hoping to capture snow melt into an alfalfa field growing.

As for the transition, I just was on manual and connected my phone to the camera to adjust settings, and used LRTimelapse to help smooth it out in post. My previous attempt just used auto with sony's built in intervalometer, that that works pretty well too, I just can't have my motion system trigger the shots. In the future I might try Arsenal to manage the exposure.

 CMCphoto's gear list:CMCphoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 24mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 787
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

CMCphoto wrote:

1DSmII wrote:

Very nice. What did you do to manage the night/day transition?

I recently posted this link in another thread, but seems appropriate to post it here as well.

Thanks for sharing that link. I had originally planned on doing a long term timelapse last year, but Covid got it the way. I designed and 3d printed a case for my camera and everything. I was hoping to capture snow melt into an alfalfa field growing.

As for the transition, I just was on manual and connected my phone to the camera to adjust settings, and used LRTimelapse to help smooth it out in post. My previous attempt just used auto with sony's built in intervalometer, that that works pretty well too, I just can't have my motion system trigger the shots. In the future I might try Arsenal to manage the exposure.

I’d like to see the case if you have a picture/s?

 viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
chris gunn
chris gunn Veteran Member • Posts: 9,435
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

Nice!

-- hide signature --

cheers!
Gunn
-- Get a big lens and get closer

 chris gunn's gear list:chris gunn's gear list
Pentax K-1 II
nighthiker Contributing Member • Posts: 547
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

Hi!

Please poste the pictures so that I know where I can get a new camera for free at night

If your equipment isn't too heavy and you have several camera set-ups you can 'deploy' them along the trail, camp at the last camera until sunrise and collect them on the way back. OK, that works only for single-nights. A safe camera location in daylight might have to be off-trail to prevent an un-intended change in ownership

The time laps is nice, but the flashlights are disturbing. Is it possible to remove them by copy & paste the foreground from 'dark' neighboring images?

The announced robotic head Polaris from Benro might be a solution for this kind of photography with auto-ramping (for automated 'holy grail'), weather proof, remote control by cellphone, 'thief protection' by GPS (OK, at least you know where the thief is).

OP CMCphoto Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise
1

It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. I've since thrown it away, it was more of a cover than a case, it covered the top and all sides of the camera except for a slot for the lens. I'm planning on trying it again and will design a better one. I'll share it here when I do.

 CMCphoto's gear list:CMCphoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 24mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
OP CMCphoto Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise
1

nighthiker wrote:

Hi!

Please poste the pictures so that I know where I can get a new camera for free at night

If your equipment isn't too heavy and you have several camera set-ups you can 'deploy' them along the trail, camp at the last camera until sunrise and collect them on the way back. OK, that works only for single-nights. A safe camera location in daylight might have to be off-trail to prevent an un-intended change in ownership

The time laps is nice, but the flashlights are disturbing. Is it possible to remove them by copy & paste the foreground from 'dark' neighboring images?

The announced robotic head Polaris from Benro might be a solution for this kind of photography with auto-ramping (for automated 'holy grail'), weather proof, remote control by cellphone, 'thief protection' by GPS (OK, at least you know where the thief is).

Haha, how about you just join me on an adventure No need to "borrow" my equipment. I've been awake with my cameras because I am paranoid that someone will decide they need a new home.

I'm considering what sort of off trail paths I'll have to do. A lot of the places up that canyon that I'd be interested in aren't possible to get to yet because of the snow. In a couple months or so many more places will be accessible.

I might go back and remove the flashes, they were from cars lower down passing through the canyon. With the motion of the camera between frames, it wasn't as simple as masking out parts of the image. Should be doable with some work, but I just didn't feel like this sequence deserved it with the break in the middle.

I was really temped by Polaris, but I want to see some reviews first. Plus I just splurged to buy the Edelkrone set, and my wife might take issue when we are getting ready to close on our first house. If it lives up to their promises, I'll probably pick one up next spring in time for next milkyway season.

 CMCphoto's gear list:CMCphoto's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 24mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM
nighthiker Contributing Member • Posts: 547
Re: Logan Canyon Utah Moonset -> Milkyway ->Sunrise

CMCphoto wrote:

nighthiker wrote:

Hi!

Please poste the pictures so that I know where I can get a new camera for free at night

If your equipment isn't too heavy and you have several camera set-ups you can 'deploy' them along the trail, camp at the last camera until sunrise and collect them on the way back. OK, that works only for single-nights. A safe camera location in daylight might have to be off-trail to prevent an un-intended change in ownership

The time laps is nice, but the flashlights are disturbing. Is it possible to remove them by copy & paste the foreground from 'dark' neighboring images?

The announced robotic head Polaris from Benro might be a solution for this kind of photography with auto-ramping (for automated 'holy grail'), weather proof, remote control by cellphone, 'thief protection' by GPS (OK, at least you know where the thief is).

Haha, how about you just join me on an adventure No need to "borrow" my equipment. I've been awake with my cameras because I am paranoid that someone will decide they need a new home.

I'm considering what sort of off trail paths I'll have to do. A lot of the places up that canyon that I'd be interested in aren't possible to get to yet because of the snow. In a couple months or so many more places will be accessible.

I might go back and remove the flashes, they were from cars lower down passing through the canyon. With the motion of the camera between frames, it wasn't as simple as masking out parts of the image. Should be doable with some work, but I just didn't feel like this sequence deserved it with the break in the middle.

I was really temped by Polaris, but I want to see some reviews first. Plus I just splurged to buy the Edelkrone set, and my wife might take issue when we are getting ready to close on our first house. If it lives up to their promises, I'll probably pick one up next spring in time for next milkyway season.

Joining? Sounds good, but I'm living on the other side in the land of the Vikings. I trust other nigh hikers and early birds - and have seen some from the distance, walking around my equipment for curiosity - but wouldn't try that for a whole day next to a hiking trail. We have legal access nearly everywhere - even onto private ground with certain limitations - so it's easy to find a hidden spot for long exposures.

Snow is an issue here, too. But the terrain was smoothed by the last ice-age, so I often have reasonable-good access on snow-shoes. Avalanches are nevertheless an issue.

I normally also do a quick test-processing and start the time-consuming final version only if I think that it's worth it.

Edelkrone? Very precise German stuff, but also heavy and expensive. I need it as light as possible for hiking, but also robust enough for my gear. I'm mostly interested in automated panos and there are now several competitors like Benro Polaris, the robotic Nodal Ninja pano head, Syrp, Edelkrone, Roundshot, ...

I agree, the problem with the Polaris is the lack of experience (I'm a backer), but that will change soon.

Last night I attached a simple monopod-head onto a macro rail to have a light non-parallax single-row pano-head for the Syrp genie mini which is an extreme light automated 'rotator' (250 g), but the light plastic casing might flex a bit under asymmetric load.

Good luck for your next timelaps!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads