MULT AVERAGE OR SPOT METER

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Neverlost99
Neverlost99 Regular Member • Posts: 416
MULT AVERAGE OR SPOT METER

How often if ever do you change your metering? I don’t see much difference in Multi and Center, but have not looked that hard .

-- hide signature --

TJC

Neverlost99's gear list:Neverlost99's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
ANSWER:
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,928
Re: MULT AVERAGE OR SPOT METER

I have a bit of bulls-eye vision. Or I center on the primary subject, half-press to lock focus and exposure, then recompose. For both, center-weighted does most of the work, but I will switch to spot when needed.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 11,244

I seldom use spot metering but it is nice to have it in the toolbox.

Usually I shoot with the wide multi metering, not the center-weighted multi. I keep the live histogram in the viewfinder at all times and adjust the EV comp dial before hitting the shutter button, to keep the highlights from blowing out.

If it is really important I check the images immediately after shooting, for blinkies before moving on, and occasionally I have to re-shoot.

My ZS100 has a bracketing setting where it will take three different exposures in quick succession. I'm using this more and more because later I just pick the exposure I like the best.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +17 more
Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,268

Dependent on subject and lighting conditions.

If the main subject lighting is noticeable brighter than background, i.e., shooting a white Heron in sunlight, I'll use Spot metering on the Heron to prevent overexposure and/or blown highlights.

Same at evening (or indoor) performances where the performers are illuminated by spotlight I'll use spot metering on performer to prevent performer(s) from being overexposed; especially faces.

For general shooting with central subject I generally use single center AF frame and center-weighted metering.

I have my FZ1000 "Fn1" set for "Metering Mode" to have easy access to metering mode selection.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Panasonic FZ1000 +15 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads