First Creek Birds

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Newbie Phewbie Senior Member • Posts: 1,955
First Creek Birds

First Creek is one of the many drainages for the plains east of Denver that eventually end up in the South Platte River. While close to home, this was the my first foray into this part of the creek. Afternoon on a pretty cloudy day.

All with the A6500 and the 70-300G.

The snowy egrets started returning to our area a couple of weeks ago.  My first shots of the year. I spent some time sitting and watching this one. They move so fast, but I was finally able to catch an action shot.

A first for me - A Yellow-crowned Night Heron. A fellow birder on a local board mentioned seeing it in this area and I got lucky.

I had some fun trying to photograph these fast moving Yellow-rumped Warblers (Audobon's) through the thickets.

And a black-capped chickadee for some variety. There were a few other birds including a beautiful blue jay, but I didn't get a good shot.

American White Pelicans and a double-crested cormorant

Blue-winged teal. We see fewer of these teals than we do of the green-winged and cinnamon teals.

Newbie Phewbie's gear list:Newbie Phewbie's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,059
Newbie,

Very nice - looks like this could be a good place to visit again if it's close to home.

Congrats on the yellow-crowned - they're common down here, but I can always appreciate a common bird in one place isn't so in another (case-in-point - robins!).

Funny - your teal mix is exactly the opposite of ours - we get tons of blue-wingeds, just a handful of green winged, and almost never a cinnamon!

Nice shots of the yellow-rumped too.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads