Huggins Lookout - Victoria

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,984
Huggins Lookout - Victoria

We spent last week in the township of Bright, North East Victoria which is famous for its Autumn colours. We are in the middle of Autumn here at the moment.

This is an eight shot portrait orientation hand-held panorama from Huggins Lookout overlooking Bright. The sun was low and to the right which was annoying but unfortunately that morning was the only chance I had to hike up to the lookout.

I used Photoshop Elements to stitch the photos together.

Feel free to edit and repost in this thread if you have any suggestions.

Looks better Full Size

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,591
Re: Huggins Lookout - Victoria

You're right.  Looks much better full size because you can see eye-catching details.

David1961
OP David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,984

Thank you

Apart from adding more pixels to the stitched output and a creating a smaller aspect ratio, portrait orientation allows me to set a longer focal length.

Canon EOS 90D
Richard D Jacobs Senior Member • Posts: 2,242

Suggest dehaze or add contrast.

Nice shot and thanks for posting.

Richard

Richard D Jacobs's gear list:Richard D Jacobs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +7 more
David1961

No problem and thank you

I did the post processing and stitching in ACR and Photoshop Elements.

The scene was actually much more hazy than what is seen in the stitched image.  The location of the sun didn't help.  I was facing NNE.

I applied the Dehaze in Photoshop Elements, which I believe is the same as that in big brother Photoshop, some contrast adjustments, tonal adjustments and some dodging and burning to remove as much haze as possible, at least by me.

Below is the luminosity histogram from the full resolution ~22000px x ~7100px stitched image.

It is consistent with the large amount of darkish tones overall in the scene.

I feel that adding more contrast would make the image too dark for my liking but that does not mean it cannot be done within another editing application.

Please feel free to download the image and repost any improvement you can make to it.

Adding even more dehaze basically adds more contrast as well along with whatever else it does and so tends to darken the image even more.

Canon EOS 90D
Richard D Jacobs Senior Member • Posts: 2,242

David, thank you for your detailed reply.

.I don’t have much experience with stitching panoramas and will defer to your judgment.

Richard

Richard D Jacobs's gear list:Richard D Jacobs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +7 more
David1961

No problem Richard.

I did apply the Dehaze Filter and added contrast in my initial edits as you suggested but I don't really like the look as much if I push them any further, but that is just me.

Thank you for your feedback

Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads