Q2 on a Walk Up the Sanibel Island Beach

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,147
Q2 on a Walk Up the Sanibel Island Beach

We are visiting some friends this week in Cape Coral, Florida and drove across the bridge to Sanibel Island, which is one of the best sea shell collection beaches in the World.  My wife and I walked 4 miles on the beach and I left the GFX 100 in the car and took the Q2.

I took 50 shots and had to delete 8 of them because my old Q2 problem that I had two years ago popped up again. I had to send my Q2 back to Germany when I first got it (back when it came out).  They rebuilt it because of an OIS problem where 5% of my shots were blurred. This was not an EV, camera shake or user error problem but was an OIS fault of some sort.

Leica had my camera for over two months and took a real interest in it. I had the problem well documents with tons of sample shots. The problem still occurred rarely over the past 18 months since then but during this shoot, it happened on 8 of my 50 images.

I will of course keep an eye on this closely and if it happens again I will call Leica.

One thing - these were bright daylight shots and I was always above 1/125 and usually 1/150 or above or higher.  On a 28mm we don't need OIS at those speeds but I did not shut it off.  Of course this fault should not have occurred and didn't on 45 of the shots, which were all uber-sharp.  The 8 deletes were badly blurred and totally random - exactly as before when I had the problem.

I love the Q2. It is my all-time favorite camera.

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,744
Re: Q2 on a Walk Up the Sanibel Island Beach

Greg7579 wrote:

We are visiting some friends this week in Cape Coral, Florida and drove across the bridge to Sanibel Island, which is one of the best sea shell collection beaches in the World. My wife and I walked 4 miles on the beach and I left the GFX 100 in the car and took the Q2.

I took 50 shots and had to delete 8 of them because my old Q2 problem that I had two years ago popped up again. I had to send my Q2 back to Germany when I first got it (back when it came out). They rebuilt it because of an OIS problem where 5% of my shots were blurred. This was not an EV, camera shake or user error problem but was an OIS fault of some sort.

Leica had my camera for over two months and took a real interest in it. I had the problem well documents with tons of sample shots. The problem still occurred rarely over the past 18 months since then but during this shoot, it happened on 8 of my 50 images.

I will of course keep an eye on this closely and if it happens again I will call Leica.

One thing - these were bright daylight shots and I was always above 1/125 and usually 1/150 or above or higher. On a 28mm we don't need OIS at those speeds but I did not shut it off. Of course this fault should not have occurred and didn't on 45 of the shots, which were all uber-sharp. The 8 deletes were badly blurred and totally random - exactly as before when I had the problem.

I love the Q2. It is my all-time favorite camera.

Lovely Images, nicely seen & taken..   Regards, L

-- hide signature --

“Hold the vision, trust the process.” –

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +7 more
susn Forum Member • Posts: 64

Great pictures of a beautiful area. Interesting to hear the Q is your all time favorite camera. I've been researching it for a week and coming close to pulling the trigger.

susn's gear list:susn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
Greg7579
OP Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,147
Q2 is Amazing

susn wrote:

Great pictures of a beautiful area. Interesting to hear the Q is your all time favorite camera. I've been researching it for a week and coming close to pulling the trigger.

Yes the Q2 is by far my all0time favorite camera to look at, hold, shoot and own.  But I could never have it as my only camera, despite my love for that magical 28.

My wife and I flew to Florida for a week and on my back in the airport was a peak design everyday backpack with 5 big GF lenses in it and a Compagnon Little Weekender leather  shoulder bag with my GFX 100 and Leica Q2 in it.

The point is that most Q2 owners are serious photographers (pro and hobbyists) who also want and need another camera interchangeable lens system too.

I am stunned by the current Q2 waiting list world-wide.  I was on that list two years ago trying to get a Q21 and it took months!  Now that list has been back for three months with no end in sight.  Amazing.

I don't think this has every happened for a two-year-old camera in the digital age.

-- hide signature --
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +8 more
athensGA Contributing Member • Posts: 593
Re: Q2 is Amazing

The pent up demand for the Q2 appears to have effected the used market for the Q as well. I’ve been checking daily looking for a deal and the prices have climbed significantly compared to what I was seeing a few months ago.

I’m wondering too if all those government stimulus checks are effecting this market as well. I guess I should be grateful to have not qualified for any.  I have a feeling we’re about to be reminded what inflation was all about.

When my parents bought their house in the 80s mortgage rates were in the teens. A return of rates like that would put a serious hurt on government debt service.

athensGA's gear list:athensGA's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T1
susn Forum Member • Posts: 64

Greg7579 wrote:

susn wrote:

Yes the Q2 is by far my all0time favorite camera to look at, hold, shoot and own. But I could never have it as my only camera, despite my love for that magical 28.

My wife and I flew to Florida for a week and on my back in the airport was a peak design everyday backpack with 5 big GF lenses in it and a Compagnon Little Weekender leather shoulder bag with my GFX 100 and Leica Q2 in it.

The point is that most Q2 owners are serious photographers (pro and hobbyists) who also want and need another camera interchangeable lens system too.

I am stunned by the current Q2 waiting list world-wide. I was on that list two years ago trying to get a Q21 and it took months! Now that list has been back for three months with no end in sight. Amazing.

I don't think this has every happened for a two-year-old camera in the digital age.

Well, that's great to hear how much you enjoy it. After doing a lot of research, I thought I'd call a good camera shop a few towns away to see if they had a Q2 in stock. They did and I bought it this morning! So far, the snapshots I've taken are like nothing I've ever used. I am so thrilled. The light weight is a huge bonus.

susn's gear list:susn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Leica Q2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
Greg7579
OP Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,147

athensGA wrote:

The pent up demand for the Q2 appears to have effected the used market for the Q as well. I’ve been checking daily looking for a deal and the prices have climbed significantly compared to what I was seeing a few months ago.

I’m wondering too if all those government stimulus checks are effecting this market as well. I guess I should be grateful to have not qualified for any. I have a feeling we’re about to be reminded what inflation was all about.

When my parents bought their house in the 80s mortgage rates were in the teens. A return of rates like that would put a serious hurt on government debt service.

I don't think anyone buying a Q2 got a stimulus check (I mean in the US).  I sure didn't.

And I bought my first house in 1987-1988 and I think we got it at 13%!  My daughter just refinanced her house at almost nothing.  What.... 1.8%  Something like that?

-- hide signature --
athensGA Contributing Member • Posts: 593

I don't think anyone buying a Q2 got a stimulus check (I mean in the US). I sure didn't.

I'm thinking of young single folks who found themselves with a sudden windfall.  Maybe they couldn't stretch for a Q2 with that, but a used Q might certainly be in play.

athensGA's gear list:athensGA's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T1
Tom Joad New Member • Posts: 20

Like the others I really enjoyed the images.  But the 16% failure rate mentioned is concerning. It is a sobering reminder that Leica's legacy is optics not electronics. While the images are impressive, I didn't see anything my D850 or D-Lux 7 clone could not also do.

I'm not denigrating the images or the Greg's choice of or enjoyment in using the Q2. I am just voicing my frustration that Leica can't/won't do a better job on the electronics side.  Or to phrase it differently, on an emotional level I'd really love to get a Q2 or an M10 series Leica, but the rational side of me says beware, they should be more reliable given the cost.

Tom Joad's gear list:Tom Joad's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Nikon D850 +1 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,744

Tom Joad wrote:

Like the others I really enjoyed the images. But the 16% failure rate mentioned is concerning. It is a sobering reminder that Leica's legacy is optics not electronics. While the images are impressive, I didn't see anything my D850 or D-Lux 7 clone could not also do.

I'm not denigrating the images or the Greg's choice of or enjoyment in using the Q2. I am just voicing my frustration that Leica can't/won't do a better job on the electronics side. Or to phrase it differently, on an emotional level I'd really love to get a Q2 or an M10 series Leica, but the rational side of me says beware, they should be more reliable given the cost.

Aloha, I've used Leicas for many years (Film & Digital) reliability is no worse or no better than other major brands. Leica offer a different photographic experience.  Lets be honest, if you take pictures of your garden and the occasional landscape is Leica the marque for you! If you have the funds that's fine, but that does not guarantee good photographs.. Yes Leica's can & do respond to a photographer with the knowledge to use same.. If you think just because of the Red Dot you are going to get super/superb images forget it.. Buy what you feel tempts you, spend on a Leica, Nikon, Canon or any other marque, but don't expect mouthwatering images unless you know how to use the camera..   L

-- hide signature --

“Hold the vision, trust the process.” –

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads