External GPS w/ K-3markiii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,419
External GPS w/ K-3markiii

Thread drift...

Roland Karlsson wrote:

If there is a standard protocol that third party devices use (and someone claimed so) then that is the only option that shall be implemented. The app in the phone shall also use that standard protocol, nothing else.

But is even possible? On both Android and iOS?

Alex

Yes, a basic bluetooth standard for location information has existed since 2012: https://www.theverge.com/2012/3/21/2891785/bluetooth-gnss-profile-1-0-specification-adopted-sig . I don't know the current version.

But the question remains, of course, whether the camera implements a current version.

The fact that the wireless manual lists image sync functions and bluetooth functions in separate tables (p 4) might be a positive sign, but the fact that no GPS exchange protocol compliance is specifically mentioned anywhere that I can find, from my perspective, means assume not until proven.

I'm still wondering if they're not working on their own as a new O-GPS2.

Note: there is a caution in the wireless manual not to connect to an iOS device except via the Image Sync app. P 1 bottom left.

-- hide signature --

bob5050
I just hope that everyone who's complained about the K-3iii delay actually buys one. One wonders, otherwise, about the sincerity of their complaints.

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +4 more
JoeOptics314 Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: External GPS w/ K-3markiii
<snip>

Yes, a basic bluetooth standard for location information has existed since 2012: https://www.theverge.com/2012/3/21/2891785/bluetooth-gnss-profile-1-0-specification-adopted-sig . I don't know the current version.

But the question remains, of course, whether the camera implements a current version.

The fact that the wireless manual lists image sync functions and bluetooth functions in separate tables (p 4) might be a positive sign, but the fact that no GPS exchange protocol compliance is specifically mentioned anywhere that I can find, from my perspective, means assume not until proven.

I'm still wondering if they're not working on their own as a new O-GPS2.

Note: there is a caution in the wireless manual not to connect to an iOS device except via the Image Sync app. P 1 bottom left.

I am glad to see on page 121 of the user manual that my O-GPS1 will still work with this new camera and they implemented the Astrotracer function in it.   It would be great if they came out with an updated version of the O-GPS, because it is getting pretty long in the tooth.  I purchased mine 4 years ago, but it has been out for nearly 10 years (first released in 2011).

David

JoeOptics314's gear list:JoeOptics314's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +6 more
OP bob5050 Senior Member • Posts: 2,419

JoeOptics314 wrote:

I am glad to see on page 121 of the user manual that my O-GPS1 will still work with this new camera and they implemented the Astrotracer function in it.

Yep. With the add-on, everything's there AFAICS.

It would be great if they came out with an updated version of the O-GPS,

Since they're coming out with a brand new camera that uses it, I can see two obvious possibilities: either they're coming out with a new one, or there are a ton of existing O-GPS1s on the shelf still to sell. They can't let the K-3iii go without.

That thought has left me holding off on getting one at the moment, even though GPS image location stamping is a feature I very much want.

-- hide signature --

bob5050
I just hope that everyone who's complained about the K-3iii delay actually buys one. One wonders, otherwise, about the sincerity of their complaints.

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +4 more
JoeOptics314 Forum Member • Posts: 62

bob5050 wrote:

JoeOptics314 wrote:

I am glad to see on page 121 of the user manual that my O-GPS1 will still work with this new camera and they implemented the Astrotracer function in it.

Yep. With the add-on, everything's there AFAICS.

It would be great if they came out with an updated version of the O-GPS,

Since they're coming out with a brand new camera that uses it, I can see two obvious possibilities: either they're coming out with a new one, or there are a ton of existing O-GPS1s on the shelf still to sell. They can't let the K-3iii go without.

That thought has left me holding off on getting one at the moment, even though GPS image location stamping is a feature I very much want.

I bought it for the GPS logging into the EXIF data and have found it excellent.  At least compared with the alternative I used for a few years which is an external GPS logger and then syncing up the lat-long off the camera clock.  But since I take a lot of pictures while biking, I found drift in the camera clock time to yield poor location accuracy, plus I found it a pain and rarely did it.  The O-GPS price was worth it to me.  I knew nothing about the Astrotracer function and have only tried it out recently.  It is a bit annoying to use and I really hope your guess of a new design is coming.  It is a pain do the 3 axis calibration by rotating the camera with a lens on it.  And needing to do it repeatedly when the accuracy start to drift.  As shown by star trails reappearing.  It may also be sensitive to metals nearby messing up the compass function when you move with respect to them.  I have not tried to figure out exactly why the earth rotation tracking function seems erratic.  But its something I am sure could be fixed in a new design.

David

JoeOptics314's gear list:JoeOptics314's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +6 more
JohnXLondon Regular Member • Posts: 223

As the Pentax app allows date/time sync with the K3III, surely just running a GPS logging app on the phone will enable subsequent accurate population of exif data with GPS coordinates? The app might even facilitate this anyway without a GPS logger?

JohnXLondon's gear list:JohnXLondon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X20 Panasonic LX100 Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II +2 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 2,189

JohnXLondon wrote:

As the Pentax app allows date/time sync with the K3III, surely just running a GPS logging app on the phone will enable subsequent accurate population of exif data with GPS coordinates? The app might even facilitate this anyway without a GPS logger?

I used to do this years ago.  It was an extra step, so I got an OGPS-1.  I am lazy I guess.

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads