D850 Battery Issue

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Clark95 Regular Member • Posts: 492
D850 Battery Issue

I am having a weird issue my with D850.  I use the battery grip with it (nikon), and just noticed when putting in batteries into the D850- it's as if it is dead.  Can't turn on, don't even see the number of remaining pics when the camera is off.  When attaching the grip with battery, it works normal (although likely only registering the 1 battery).  Without grip, it is dead.  Anyone have this issue??  Wondering if it needs a reset or something is broken with the battery chamber.

Thanks.

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cariboou
Cariboou Veteran Member • Posts: 3,392
Re: D850 Battery Issue

Hi,

I have a battery grip, non original that working with my camera, but I don use because for my use almost 600 shout with the 2 cards are enough, and my D850 is heavy enough with the lens I use. Your problem look like is the Grip, do you try to remove clean the contacs and reinstall if work, then is the original grip or something that came from China, some time someone have a problems with China products.....

Take Care & Save

Cariboou!
https://caribooua.zenfolio.com/p347085567

Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
DeeJay53 Junior Member • Posts: 26

Alan Walls had a similar problem with his D850 and did a YouTube video about it. It turned out that his probelm was the battery in the grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbqC-FmSrds

DeeJay53's gear list:DeeJay53's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +4 more
OP Clark95 Regular Member • Posts: 492

Thanks.  Not sure if I understood how his problem is similar- the video mentions a dead camera sent in twice and returned with no mention of repair and then a third repair with an aperture ring and they replaced many different parts- possibly wrong video because I didn't see mention of a battery grip?  What's strange with my camera is that I can get it to work when the grip is attached.  When grip is off and fresh Nikon battery is in camera, it's dead...

DeeJay53 wrote:

Alan Walls had a similar problem with his D850 and did a YouTube video about it. It turned out that his probelm was the battery in the grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbqC-FmSrds

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 530

Clark95 wrote:

I am having a weird issue my with D850. I use the battery grip with it (nikon), and just noticed when putting in batteries into the D850- it's as if it is dead. Can't turn on, don't even see the number of remaining pics when the camera is off. When attaching the grip with battery, it works normal (although likely only registering the 1 battery). Without grip, it is dead. Anyone have this issue?? Wondering if it needs a reset or something is broken with the battery chamber.

Thanks.

Have you set the battery order to the camera battery in the setup menu? I dont have the grip to test so not sure whether it defaults to the camera battery when the grip is removed.

mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,669

sdias wrote:

Clark95 wrote:

I am having a weird issue my with D850. I use the battery grip with it (nikon), and just noticed when putting in batteries into the D850- it's as if it is dead. Can't turn on, don't even see the number of remaining pics when the camera is off. When attaching the grip with battery, it works normal (although likely only registering the 1 battery). Without grip, it is dead. Anyone have this issue?? Wondering if it needs a reset or something is broken with the battery chamber.

Thanks.

Have you set the battery order to the camera battery in the setup menu? I dont have the grip to test so not sure whether it defaults to the camera battery when the grip is removed.

This could be the issue here - I don't have a grip but in the Set Up Menu there is an item called Battery Order - you can select to have the camera use D850 or First or MB-D18 batteries first.  If you elect to have the camera uses the MB-D18 batteries then there is a chance that the camera may ignore its own battery. Sorry I don't want to test just in case 

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more

Thanks I will try testing that.  The other option I was thinking was a  factory reset, but I am hoping I can avoid that, but will do if I can't seem to correct other ways.  Thank you for your input.

mais51 wrote:

sdias wrote:

Clark95 wrote:

Thanks.

This could be the issue here - I don't have a grip but in the Set Up Menu there is an item called Battery Order - you can select to have the camera use D850 or First or MB-D18 batteries first. If you elect to have the camera uses the MB-D18 batteries then there is a chance that the camera may ignore its own battery. Sorry I don't want to test just in case

Clark95 wrote:

Thanks I will try testing that. The other option I was thinking was a factory reset, but I am hoping I can avoid that, but will do if I can't seem to correct other ways. Thank you for your input.

Checked the D850 set up and mine says use MB-D18 Battery First which is the default position as I have never touched this.  Maybe a reset is in order.

Thanks.  I changed it to camera first, but no luck.  It's completely dead without the battery back attached to use that battery.  Very strange.  I guess I will try a reset- my try to clean the battery chamber first and see if that helps.

sdias wrote:

Clark95 wrote:

Thanks I will try testing that. The other option I was thinking was a factory reset, but I am hoping I can avoid that, but will do if I can't seem to correct other ways. Thank you for your input.

Checked the D850 set up and mine says use MB-D18 Battery First which is the default position as I have never touched this. Maybe a reset is in order.

Clark95 wrote:

Thanks. I changed it to camera first, but no luck. It's completely dead without the battery back attached to use that battery. Very strange. I guess I will try a reset- my try to clean the battery chamber first and see if that helps.

You could have a bent contact pin in the camera battery chamber or an issue with the grip connector at the base of the camera.. Please provide an update once you have fixed the issue as this could be common to the D850.

patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 863

I had a D850 and Nikon MB-D18 with EN-EL18c battery and even though I did have battery order set to use MB-D18 (grip) first, the camera would work just fine when removing the grip. So this is definitely abnormal and not something to do with the battery order setting. I've also had 3 different D500 and MB-D17 combos and have never had this issue, nor have I ever needed to change the battery order setting, it's supposed to be automatic. If you can't fix this by resetting the camera to factory by the two button press, looks like you'll have to send the D850 into Nikon. Unless you plan to only use it with the grip attached. I personally never use a camera without a grip and prefer the D5 to any other camera. I've pretty much every Nikon professional camera and I always end up wanting to go back to the flagship bodies with built in grips. So now I'm using two D5 bodies and a D500 with MB-D17. I wouldn't worry about doing the factory reset on the D850, because you can save most of your settings to your memory card. There is a Save/Load in the menu for this purpose, and although it won't save 100% of all settings, it's much better than not using it and starting from scratch. I don't know though, it only takes me about 5 minutes or less to completely setup a new camera. But I've been a Nikon user and professional for over 20 years. Also like I said above I have owned almost every Nikon camera that is flagship or prosumer. All of the menu's are relatively the same, only the Z series camera's are slightly different, but even they are easy to use if you're a long time Nikon user. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out or if you end up sending it off to Nikon!

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D5 Nikon D6 +2 more

Thanks for the response.  I ended up brining it to Nikon repair. Fortunately I am 15 minutes away from their service center.  I tried cleaning the battery contact, reset, updated firmware and no luck.  Thank you for the tip on saving presets.  I don't even have much saved, but I didn't want to lose my fine tune adjustments for each lens.  Not sure if that gets saved in the file.  I would have gone one by one and wrote them down for each lens, but didn't get around to it, and wanted it repaired as soon as possible.  The issue wouldn't have affected me too much, but I do  like having two batteries.  Also, I am considering getting a water housing for some beach and wave photography, and the grip needs to be detached for that.  I'll keep you updated once I hear back from Nikon.

patricksmith32 wrote:

I had a D850 and Nikon MB-D18 with EN-EL18c battery and even though I did have battery order set to use MB-D18 (grip) first, the camera would work just fine when removing the grip. So this is definitely abnormal and not something to do with the battery order setting. I've also had 3 different D500 and MB-D17 combos and have never had this issue, nor have I ever needed to change the battery order setting, it's supposed to be automatic. If you can't fix this by resetting the camera to factory by the two button press, looks like you'll have to send the D850 into Nikon. Unless you plan to only use it with the grip attached. I personally never use a camera without a grip and prefer the D5 to any other camera. I've pretty much every Nikon professional camera and I always end up wanting to go back to the flagship bodies with built in grips. So now I'm using two D5 bodies and a D500 with MB-D17. I wouldn't worry about doing the factory reset on the D850, because you can save most of your settings to your memory card. There is a Save/Load in the menu for this purpose, and although it won't save 100% of all settings, it's much better than not using it and starting from scratch. I don't know though, it only takes me about 5 minutes or less to completely setup a new camera. But I've been a Nikon user and professional for over 20 years. Also like I said above I have owned almost every Nikon camera that is flagship or prosumer. All of the menu's are relatively the same, only the Z series camera's are slightly different, but even they are easy to use if you're a long time Nikon user. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out or if you end up sending it off to Nikon!

I picked up my camera back from Nikon on Friday.  It ended up being a class C major repair.  They replaced the power PCB, replaced memory compression, and replaced/repaired the connector FPC.  No idea what caused it, but all is good now.  Wasn't thrilled to need a repair- this is the first that wasn't user fault or a lens repair covered under warranty.  Been shooting Nikon since 2006 so I guess that isn't bad at all.  Happy to have it back!!

patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 863

Clark95 wrote:

I picked up my camera back from Nikon on Friday. It ended up being a class C major repair. They replaced the power PCB, replaced memory compression, and replaced/repaired the connector FPC. No idea what caused it, but all is good now. Wasn't thrilled to need a repair- this is the first that wasn't user fault or a lens repair covered under warranty. Been shooting Nikon since 2006 so I guess that isn't bad at all. Happy to have it back!!

I've been very fortunate, I've never once needed a single repair shooting Nikon gear in 20 years. I did shoot Canon for a few years here and there, but always came back to Nikon. I also shot both Nikon and Canon side by side for about 6 years as I worked for a sports photography company that provided Canon gear. I once set down a Canon 1D Mark III and 400mm f/2.8L IS too fast and hard, and the two were stuck together. Both were bent at the mounts and were literally stuck together. I got very lucky and happened to get both repaired for free within 24 hours, so I was fortunate. However with Nikon I've been very fortunate and I'm not sure if it's partly luck, mostly that I buy professional level gear, if I just take great care of my gear or most likely a combination of all of the above. Having said all of that electronics and mechanical devices all can and do fail at some point. I typically upgrade or change my gear before I run into any issues and to recoup as much money as I can. I'm a photojournalist and can be very demanding on my gear, but I shoot flagship bodies and professional grade lenses. All of my gear is in like new condition and I clean my gear very often, and probably baby it much more than your average professional. I don't know how much of that plays a role, but I like to think that it does. At the end of the day though there is always the chance of failures and the need for repairs. Glad to hear you were able to get your D850 back and it's ready to be used again. I'm sure my day will eventually come, but I do sleep much better at night knowing all of my gear is insured.

I would be a little upset but I wouldn't be surprised if I do end up needing a repair, but I can't even begin to think about theft or loss. Which is why almost all of my gear is fully insured against drops, theft, accidental anything, you name it. State Farm insurance is amazing and it's relatively affordable. I have a lot of gear, including 2 Nikon D5's, a D4s, D500, 70-200mm FL, 500FL, 24-70 VR and Tamron 35mm f/1.4 SP. Even my monopod is insured as its around $850! The only items that I don't insure are items that are less than $600 and can be easily replaced. Such as teleconverter's, bags, flashes, etc. Once you have to use your insurance, you're most likely going to dropped and if you can find other insurance it maybe more expensive and harder to obtain. So my main purpose is for worst case scenarios like my entire backpack being stolen out of my vehicle or if I were to accidentally drop a camera and or lens. The greatest thing about State Farm is no deductible and great service at a great price. Even if you don't own a lot of gear it's still worth looking into. You can often get insurance for less than the cost of shipping the item to Nikon, especially if you pay for insured or expedited shipping. It would easily cost around $50 to ship a D850 insured 2-Day to Nikon, whereas you could insure the D850 for about $35. So even if I only owned one camera and one or two lenses, I would still insure that gear for sure. Now in some scenarios it's better to just pay the repair costs and shipping costs and therefor avoid making any type of claim, but if its serious or Nikon claims impact damage, etc, you'll want to have or wished you had insurance.

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D5 Nikon D6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads