CPL or VarND?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ArtistAndCamera
ArtistAndCamera Forum Member • Posts: 86
CPL or VarND?

I'm beginning to shoot a lot of video besides photography and I want to buy one high-quality filter. I can't decide between a Variable ND or a CPL though. I want the CPL because of the colors, and skies, and the reflections. I want the Var ND for the shallow DOF, the long exposure times, and the ability to organically set precise exposure.

What would you choose? Why?

-- hide signature --

"No. You're forgetting," said the Spirit. "That was not how you began. Light itself was your first love: you love paint only as a means of telling about light."
"Oh, that's ages ago," said the Ghost. "One grows out of that. Of course, you haven't seen my later works. One becomes more and more interested in paint for its own sake."
CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

ArtistAndCamera's gear list:ArtistAndCamera's gear list
Nikon D610 GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +6 more
jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Re: CPL or VarND?

ArtistAndCamera wrote:

I'm beginning to shoot a lot of video besides photography and I want to buy one high-quality filter. I can't decide between a Variable ND or a CPL though. I want the CPL because of the colors, and skies, and the reflections. I want the Var ND for the shallow DOF, the long exposure times, and the ability to organically set precise exposure.

These are 2 different filters that do completely different things. If you have to pick one, what function is more important to you right now?

-- hide signature --
 jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +10 more
ArtistAndCamera
OP ArtistAndCamera Forum Member • Posts: 86

That's kind of the problem. I could equally use both right now, but I don't have the budget for two high-quality filters.

-- hide signature --

"No. You're forgetting," said the Spirit. "That was not how you began. Light itself was your first love: you love paint only as a means of telling about light."
"Oh, that's ages ago," said the Ghost. "One grows out of that. Of course, you haven't seen my later works. One becomes more and more interested in paint for its own sake."
CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

ArtistAndCamera's gear list:ArtistAndCamera's gear list
Nikon D610 GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +6 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,374

ArtistAndCamera wrote:

If you needed an ND for wide apertures with video, you would notice.

For stills, I'd use a CPL a hundred times more than an ND, especially hand-held.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads