Good resources for learning the generals in fixing film cameras?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
mapachebasura Forum Member • Posts: 98
Good resources for learning the generals in fixing film cameras?

Basically I'm getting a free Petri 7 S. I know they don't have the quality or recognition of other similar styled cameras (the Canonets and the Electros) and the I know they go for like $30, a friend is giving it away because it's broken but they can't specify what's wrong. I figured it's a good chance to learn to fix things and maybe get to where I can buy and fix nicer cameras people are basically scrapping.

I know it'll cost more for tools than it will to buy a new one of this particular camera but I already like doing small-repair/project jobs on things (good with a soldering iron, laptop hardware replacement, I do lino printing) and it sounds like something fun to do. And if it works, cool, I have a fun beater camera!

Would love to learn to clean lenses and fix shutters. I know there's a million videos, many are great and show you exactly how to fix problems on specific cameras and I can probably track them down. But I'd love to learn the 101 on common problems and camera construction and expand from there. Any idea of what a good place to start is?

Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Re: Good resources for learning the generals in fixing film cameras?

I would suggest YouTube (prob no surprises there !)

There will be videos for things that apply to lots of cameras, like replacing the light seals, cleaning viewfinder, aligning rangefinders, but also ones for your specific camera.  I'm not sure that watching lots of general videos will help you disassemble the lens on your Petri (for example).   I just looked and there was one about fixing a sticky shutter on a 7s

Mike B USA Regular Member • Posts: 133

There is a ton of good information at Rick Oleson's web site:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html

KCK14 Senior Member • Posts: 1,063

Just a reminder that things come apart a lot easier than they go back together.  Shoot lots of pictures. Lay parts out in order as you take them off.

For the shutter, what needs to be really clean are the blades - Note how they are layered. Pull outer housing off upside down so blades stay in place till you can see how they are positioned.  The speed gear train needs to be cleaned.  Most of the other levers and springs can stay in place.  Shutter blades need to be completely oil free.  IF you have a very fine clock oil a tiny bit on each pivot of the speed train applied with a needle.  otherwise leave dry.   The diaphragm blades in the shutter housing can usually be flush cleaned in place with lots of low pressure compressed air to dry.  If you remove diaphragm blades - note that they are interleaved with the last couple going back under the first ones you put down.  Also note that the diaphragm blades have a right side up determined by the pivot pin position.

KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Eggplantt
Eggplantt Forum Member • Posts: 58

learncamerarepair.com and the associated Facebook group has your tutorials/training/service manuals organised in one place, that should give you enough to work off.

Eggplantt's gear list:Eggplantt's gear list
Lenovo Vibe Shot
MummRa Regular Member • Posts: 224

"film camera repair directory and resources" on facebook, you have thousand of post there, give it a search.

-- hide signature --

Quien te quita lo bailado.

MummRa's gear list:MummRa's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 +1 more
elmo Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

Maybe you'll get lucky, and the problem will be just a loose piece in the viewfinder. 3 out of 3 Petri's I've had, were like this. Here's a photo, with info in the caption: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wwfloyd/33376502268/

elmo's gear list:elmo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads